Sprint Touch no IR - beaming?

rbmehta

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Okay, I must be missing something.

Is there no longer a IR (Infra Red) device on the new HTC Touch by Sprint?

I tried to beam a contact today and realized I didn't know where the IR was.

Anyone know if this exists or is it considered old school now and we're expected to use Bluetooth or e-mail.

Thanks
Rocky

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Okay, I must be missing something.

Is there no longer a IR (Infra Red) device on the new HTC Touch by Sprint?

I tried to beam a contact today and realized I didn't know where the IR was.

Anyone know if this exists or is it considered old school now and we're expected to use Bluetooth or e-mail.

Thanks
Rocky

Yes, no IR.

It's considered old school, but still serves a good purpose for beaming contacts and misc stuff.

Bluetooth theoretically could fill the gap, but no elegant solution exist.

Bottom line - email it ( I know, ug).

rbmehta

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
WM6 Doesn't let some items be sent any other way

Thanks for the reply.

It does seem that WM6 doesn't consider it old school, there are some items that I didn't see any way to send to another device (without getting into the program files etc.). Example the Today Themes (under settings -> today) can only be "beamed".

Oh well, it's still a nice phone, but wish they had left some of the old school stuff in and not cut some great things like WiFi.

Thanks
Rocky

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

It does seem that WM6 doesn't consider it old school, there are some items that I didn't see any way to send to another device (without getting into the program files etc.). Example the Today Themes (under settings -> today) can only be "beamed".

Oh well, it's still a nice phone, but wish they had left some of the old school stuff in and not cut some great things like WiFi.

Thanks
Rocky

When I said old school, I was referring to the industry, not the platforms.

Obviously, there are a lot of IR devices sold, but they are getting less popular.

It would be nice to have it, as I use beam every so often.

That said, how do you like the Touch / give us a mini review.

rbmehta

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
"Beam" works for bluetooth too.

Surur

Really, never tried that, will give it a shot. Thank.

MikeC:

I just got it yesterday for my wife, I?m still using the 700wx. Just use to having a hard keyboard. I?m going to have her try out the TouchPal keyboard, it seems pretty impressive from what I?ve read.

Will give a better mini-review once I?ve had some experience it and can compare to the Treo.

So far:

Pros:
Great form factor actually smaller than the iPhone
Surprisingly great microphone, sound quality better than my Treo 700wx
Really don?t need stylus (other than if typing on the smaller keyboard
(hoping that TouchPal keyboard will resolve that)
TouchFlo adds a nice touch to other apps like IE and Contact List etc.​
Cons:
No Wifi
No IR
No ability to customize Touch Flo (at least none that I saw so far)​

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Surur,

If there a step-by-step that you can share regarding BT beaming? I think that would be helpful for people that have been used to IR beaming for several years.

Thanks.

I made an animated gif.

bluetoothbeamingwf9.gif

Just make sure bluetooth is on in both, and the target is set to discoverable. On the target, go to connection manager, bluetooth, FTP, and Enable file sharing. In the security section switch of Authentication.

On the sending side, go the file manager, choose the file to send, tap and hold, choose beam. It will look for targets in range, then identify them. Tap on the one you want to send to, and bob's your uncle.

Surur

Last edited:

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I made an animated gif.

bluetoothbeamingwf9.gif

Just make sure bluetooth is on in both, and the target is set to discoverable. On the target, go to connection manager, bluetooth, FTP, and Enable file sharing. In the security section switch of Authentication.

On the sending side, go the file manager, choose the file to send, tap and hold, choose beam. It will look for targets in range, then identify them. Tap on the one you want to send to, and bob's your uncle.

Surur

Excellent! Thanks!

rbmehta

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
This is really nice Surur, never realized beam would work for bluetooth as well. It worked great for me sending to my Treo from the Touch.

Haggar

Nov 6, 2003
www.spandex.com

I don't think this is working with the Sprint Touch. I deprived myself of sleep for 2 days and have pulled most of my hair out. Granted, I'm bald...so it was a rather quick process...

Does anyone know of someone who has been successful with the original Touchflo hacks on the new Sprint Touch? I've never seen or played with the old one, but I believe Sprint's Touch has several updated apps within the Touchflo "system"...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon