Touch my monkey

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Well, I got my Touch...still getting used to the keyboard. I am pretty slow, but I guess it will take some time.

Haven't tried a third party keyboard yet.

The size is amazing; the videos do not do it justice.

Having a flush screen makes a big difference.

More to come...

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
First bugs

Found my first bugs with the Touch.

If you install the latest Live Search client, two bugs occur:

1.)The shortcut button on the Today screen for Live Search errors out when you press it:

"Live Search.exe The file 'Live Search' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring this file."

2.) And this is the real doozy. If Live Search (version 2.5.2840.19676) is open, and you try to make a call, or receive a call, the phone will makes the call or recieve the call BUT YOU CANNOT HEAR THE OTHER PARTY AND THEY CANNOT HEAR YOU! There is a real connection to the other phone (call time ticks away), but no sound either way!

If you shut down Live Search (ex. fully shut it down), then the phone operates normally.

I guess this has something to do with the voice recognition in the new Live Search.

Still this is pretty big bug.

Last edited:

Pibe38

Sep 7, 2006
www.ppcgeeks.com
I installed the latest version of Live Search and did not get the error when opening the application.

I'd have to test the phone call issue, I have not received calls while using Live Search yet.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
well

If you launch Live Search the regular way (press the icon in the Programs group), it launches fine, but if you use the dedicated icon on the Today screen (with the magnifying glass), it fails.

Pibe38

Sep 7, 2006
www.ppcgeeks.com
Ohhh ok I see what you mean, I removed that plugin from Today screen because I don't use it.

I added it and tried and got the error... that's odd.

Haggar

Nov 6, 2003
www.spandex.com
Live Search - don't get shortchanged...

After opening up the box and drooling over my Touch for a few hours, I decided to search the net a bit and just "play". I went to m.live.com and downloaded the version of Live Search from the site.

When I opened it up (I had the same experience as you...the link is broken), there was a really cool feature that allows you to talk to the search tool.

A day or two later...after loading it up with absolutely every hack and pushing it to the limits and did a hard reset and started fresh with the thing I knew I needed. When I loaded up Live Search I was greeted by a message saying "A new version is available...would you like to download it" and I said SURE. I realized I hadn't gone back to live.com to upgrade it and I assumed that upgrading from the program itself would give me the same version.

But when the "latest" version was installed, the speech feature was gone. I looked all over the place for it and noticed that in the control panel the option to turn it off and on was not there any more. In addition, I wasn't able to set the cache to the storage card which limited me (I think) to an 8MB cache...AND the Intermediate Driver for GPS was gone, too....only standard com ports. I can't remember for sure...but I also think the "Gas Prices" feature wasn't available either.

So I'd highly recommend that if you upgraded Live Search from the prompt within the program that you go to m.live.com and download the version there -- it's MUCH better. And the speech "gimmick" is actually pretty cool...it actually works most of the time.

couch000

Nov 6, 2007
Visit site
Here's a fix for the broken link when updating to the latest (speech recognition) version of Live Search. Just add an extra "Live Search" folder and copy and paste. Works like a charm for me.

Compliments of smeg36 at sprintusers.com:

Solution Found: My initial theory of the file path was correct. I reinstalled the original version, which works with the today plugin, and found the path the plugin looks for is Program Files/Live Search/Live Search/Live Search.exe (the space in the name is very important). When you install the new version the program is renamed LiveSearch.exe, and is placed in Program Files/Live Search, omitting the .exe from the second Live Search folder.

So all you have to do if cut and paste all the files in Program Files/Live Search into Program Files/Live Search/Live Search, and rename the .exe from LiveSearch.exe to Live Search.exe. Simple really. That fixes the problem until either HTC/Sprint release a ROM with the newer program working, or someone figures out the registry to change the icons/programs ran. Now I need to figure out how to get the Music icon to open WMP. My best bet is probably to rename WMP's .exe to the Music Store program. I just need to figure out the path used by the plugin to launch the Music Store.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Here's a fix for the broken link when updating to the latest (speech recognition) version of Live Search. Just add an extra "Live Search" folder and copy and paste. Works like a charm for me.

Compliments of smeg36 at sprintusers.com:

Solution Found: My initial theory of the file path was correct. I reinstalled the original version, which works with the today plugin, and found the path the plugin looks for is Program Files/Live Search/Live Search/Live Search.exe (the space in the name is very important). When you install the new version the program is renamed LiveSearch.exe, and is placed in Program Files/Live Search, omitting the .exe from the second Live Search folder.

So all you have to do if cut and paste all the files in Program Files/Live Search into Program Files/Live Search/Live Search, and rename the .exe from LiveSearch.exe to Live Search.exe. Simple really. That fixes the problem until either HTC/Sprint release a ROM with the newer program working, or someone figures out the registry to change the icons/programs ran. Now I need to figure out how to get the Music icon to open WMP. My best bet is probably to rename WMP's .exe to the Music Store program. I just need to figure out the path used by the plugin to launch the Music Store.

Unfortunately, when I do that, I get the following:

When Live Search tries to run, it loads partially and then throws a
"Can't find PInvoke.DLL error 'ClientUtilsCEDLL.dll." error message

However, when I run Live Search from "Programs", it runs just fine.

Interesting the bug of not hearing anything during call when Live Search is running doesn't show up...

couch000

Nov 6, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately, when I do that, I get the following:

When Live Search tries to run, it loads partially and then throws a
"Can't find PInvoke.DLL error 'ClientUtilsCEDLL.dll." error message

However, when I run Live Search from "Programs", it runs just fine.

Interesting the bug of not hearing anything during call when Live Search is running doesn't show up...

Not sure what all that is; wish I could help you out. All I know is I just followed those instructions and it works fine on mine.

Just make sure to add the extra folder and re-name live search and it should work. :crazy:

anon(4855258)

May 29, 2007
Visit site
not working for me, either

good stuff couch000, it worked just fine for me... thanks for the quick fix

I'm also getting the "Can't find PInvoke.DLL error" when using the plug-in link.

Anybody figure out what I've done wrong?

Live Search sits like this:

Program Files\Live Search\Live Search\Live Search (doesn't show the .exe but it is a .exe file).

Also in that folder is:

WLSData (folder)
Live Search
Preferences

Strange thing -- when I copied the files from within the LiveSearch folder, and pasted them into the newly created Live Search folder...well it shows the older date for the program file (which I believe is the one that shipped with the Touch).

Thanks for any assistance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6