Web browsing with the Touch (Pro)

securityscaper

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
I've been a Palm Treo 700p owner for many years. Although I still like the phone, I'm beginning to get new hardware envy. I went to the Sprint store yesterday to test drive the Touch Pro. I liked several things about it, but I found it very difficult to browse effectively. I used both IE and Opera. With IE, the font was huge and it was slow to scroll down the page (I think it was locking up a bit..everything seemed slow). When I used Opera, it was more iPhone-ish and gave a good picture of the full page (I was browsing TreoCentral, not the mobile version). But when I'd zoom in so that I could actually read the text (it was tiny at first), then half the text would slide off the side of the screen. I couldn't figure out a good way of sliding over other than to use my finger on the touchscreen. That would be a major pain. I also couldn't find a way to get it to reformat the text so that it all fit according to the width of the screen

I'm sure I'm just missing some setting that would make it much easier. Can you tell me what I'm missing?

Although the Palm browser isn't the prettiest, it does a good job of reformatting the page...particularly the text...and making it very easy to scroll down with the 5-way nav. I'm looking for similar ease of use with the Touch (or whatever I get next...maybe the Treo Pro?).

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
-ss

wmdunn

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
There are some other options, but my favorites are Opera "Mini" for general browsing, and Skyfire for animations and videos. Just google and you will find...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans