Nokia & WP7 News

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello WP7 friends. Your posts have been great reading. Sounds like many of us are in the same boat.

I am optimistic about tomorrow's announcement regarding Nokia partnering with Microsoft to run WP7 software on their devices. Have you seen the Nokia N8 or E7? Pretty slick devices that are "waiting" to be released. It would be great to see them hit final release with WP7 running on them!

I am also optimistic about the enhancements that Nokia will pressure Microsoft into supporting on the WP7 software. The MeeGo and Symbian systems have some cool features that would really help WP7 in the market. Some business features and some home consumer features that can help WP7 top Apple and Android.

Additional optimism... Verizon has an established relationship with Nokia. It's pretty clear that we will all have to be patient to see a WP7 from Verizon, let alone a WP7 that supports LTE - but Nokia could be the answer to all of these questions. The name of the "Go To Market Game" with Verizon is getting around or through their pre-release testing - which is overkill. Nokia has already played that game and I would imagine that Apple had to strongarm Verizon to get the iPhone out so quickly. (Sorry to hear about those slow iPhone sales at Verizon today, BTW!!!) The upcoming technology conventions will be much like CES in terms of rumors, prototypes and excitement. I think that Verizon will see a respectable WP7 device by Summer, unless they decide to release something half-baked to test the market. Much like releasing the iPhone 4 just a few months before the iPhone 5 hits the streets. Of course, running a BB, I have NO room to talk.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am very excited to see Nokia WP7 devices. I really love the hardware they put out, it is great quality. So the combination of the two excites me. But since this is very new news, I don't think Nokia would have any devices for quite a while, many months at least. But, I hope they make some CDMA/WIMAX devices for Sprint. Us Sprint/VZW customers have been left out in the cold too long Microsoft!

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The WP7 news just keeps getting better and better...

LONDON ? Feb. 11, 2011 ? Nokia and Microsoft today announced plans to form a broad strategic partnership that would use their complementary strengths and expertise to create a new global mobile ecosystem.

Nokia and Microsoft intend to jointly create market-leading mobile products and services designed to offer consumers, operators and developers unrivalled choice and opportunity. As each company would focus on its core competencies, the partnership would create the opportunity for rapid time to market execution. Additionally, Nokia and Microsoft plan to work together to integrate key assets and create completely new service offerings, while extending established products and services to new markets.

Under the proposed partnership:

? Nokia would adopt Windows Phone as its principal smartphone strategy, innovating on top of the platform in areas such as imaging, where Nokia is a market leader.

? Nokia would help drive the future of Windows Phone. Nokia would contribute its expertise on hardware design, language support, and help bring Windows Phone to a larger range of price points, market segments and geographies.

? Nokia and Microsoft would closely collaborate on joint marketing initiatives and a shared development roadmap to align on the future evolution of mobile products.

? Bing would power Nokia?s search services across Nokia devices and services, giving customers access to Bing?s next generation search capabilities. Microsoft adCenter would provide search advertising services on Nokia?s line of devices and services.

? Nokia Maps would be a core part of Microsoft?s mapping services. For example, Maps would be integrated with Microsoft?s Bing search engine and adCenter advertising platform to form a unique local search and advertising experience

? Nokia?s extensive operator billing agreements would make it easier for consumers to purchase Nokia Windows Phone services in countries where credit-card use is low.

? Microsoft development tools would be used to create applications to run on Nokia Windows Phones, allowing developers to easily leverage the ecosystem?s global reach.

? Nokia?s content and application store would be integrated with Microsoft Marketplace for a more compelling consumer experience.

?Today, developers, operators and consumers want compelling mobile products, which include not only the device, but the software, services, applications and customer support that make a great experience,? Stephen Elop, Nokia President and CEO, said at a joint news conference in London. ?Nokia and Microsoft will combine our strengths to deliver an ecosystem with unrivalled global reach and scale. It?s now a three-horse race.?

?I am excited about this partnership with Nokia,? said Steven A. Ballmer, Microsoft CEO. ?Ecosystems thrive when fueled by speed, innovation and scale.The partnership announced today provides incredible scale, vast expertise in hardware and software innovation and a proven ability to execute.?

Please visit Nokia - Press for press materials.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
This may be old news, but a "friend" told me that Nokia already had 2 WP7 phones in the works. I'm gonna have to get verification on how accurate that Engadget render is...

Michael.

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Bring one to VZW I would love it. I love Nokia's design and cameras plus wp7 still looks better than Android in my eyes so I guess ill pick up a fascinate until the end of the year hopefully we will see something concrete by then

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Bring one to VZW I would love it. I love Nokia's design and cameras plus wp7 still looks better than Android in my eyes so I guess ill pick up a fascinate until the end of the year hopefully we will see something concrete by then

There is a rumer that Nokia and Verizon are in talks to bring a Nokia WP7 device to Verizon this year ...

how true this is and what will it have ? 3g, 4g ? I don't know

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Nokia will use ST-Ericsson chips in there Windows phone devices
ST-Ericsson claim to reuters
Maybe Dual core chips now that would be a awesome way for Nokia to announce themselves on the WP scene, paired with devices similar to the concept design pictures this would be a major win.

ST-Ericsson: ready on WP7 when Nokia is | Reuters

I really think they will go with Intel's new chip just to make them happy since the big todo with the MeeGoo deal...
Plus I think Intel can get it right with a nice chip, the dam atom stuff was crap..

brainimpact

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Intels new Chip is a Atom.

they wont go Intel chips on WP does WP even run on X86 chips?
they was not even going Intel atom for there MeeGo device and Intel don't do ARM which is why Nokia was partnering with TI and St-Ericsson doing all the ARM adaptation for MeeGo.
The stuff in press saying Nokias N9 MeeGo device will run a Intel chip was all BS based on a internal developer platform bug reports for Medfield atom chips.
Nokia as a deal in place with St-Ericsson to use there U8500 on there OS platforms in 2nd half 2011, now MeeGo as been killed with only one device from Nokia ever going on sale we can only guess that deal will be carried forward to Nokia's new platforms.
Elop already said that Components and Hardware that was to be used on MeeGo devices will now be redistributed and adapted for Windows Phones.

Last edited: