Anything new for Verizon on the horizon?

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
So it seems as of now verizon wont be getting any new wp7 anytime soon if i read this correct? I currently have android and am due for an upgrade and am considering wp7 but dont really like the trophy looking for something a little more high end. Any idea if verizon will get one of these new mango devices?

Donta79

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Looks like unfortunately is will be several month before we see a LTE Wp7 phone on VZW................ i may have to get the Bionic until MS get stuff together................
Mango is great but it's not enough, we need hardware! :)

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like unfortunately is will be several month before we see a LTE Wp7 phone on VZW................ i may have to get the Bionic until MS get stuff together................
Mango is great but it's not enough, we need hardware! :)

I agree it will wait until Oct to see what is rumored or out and then decide. I need lte so if nothing else I will get an android with lte then if verizon releases a nice lte wp7 i'll sell the android and get wp7

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Wait until Mango is released folks lol. There hasn't been a single phone announcement in the US as far as upcoming releases. This will be shown upon the release.

And the current gen Androids still don't run as smooth as last gen WP7 devices, so if you want a bionic just for the ability to state you have the latest hardware, by all means ;p

LTE wp7 phones will be later this year/early next year. I've lived without LTE this long I think I can wait a few months. Especially since the LTE networks haven't even been fully built out yet.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Wait until Mango is released folks lol. There hasn't been a single phone announcement in the US as far as upcoming releases. This will be shown upon the release.

And the current gen Androids still don't run as smooth as last gen WP7 devices, so if you want a bionic just for the ability to state you have the latest hardware, by all means ;p

LTE wp7 phones will be later this year/early next year. I've lived without LTE this long I think I can wait a few months. Especially since the LTE networks haven't even been fully built out yet.

Well where I live it has lte and have used lte so I'm not going to waste an upgrade on a 3g only phone and be stuck for 2 years.

engineer2001

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
So the short answer is "nothing new is coming for WP7 on Verizon" then? Bummer.

I, too, will be looking closely at the upcoming LTE devices on Verizon. I'm already free from my contract and looking to upgrade again with Verizon for 2 years and am not interested in locking in 3G for two years. Looks like I will be going with another Android phone, then. I guess I can hold off a month or so until the Bionic hits and hopefully drops in price (rumored at $300 on-contract, WOW!).

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is Going All-In with Windows Phone in North America

According to The Nokia Blog, Nokia has 3 WP7 devices for the USA, including a high-end device for Verizon! Nokia World is Oct 26-27, so hopefully we will learn a lot more about Nokia's plans then.

At any rate, at least wait another month or two if you can. There are several known upcoming WP7 phones, and we should learn a LOT more about them in the September-October time frame.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is Going All-In with Windows Phone in North America

According to The Nokia Blog, Nokia has 3 WP7 devices for the USA, including a high-end device for Verizon! Nokia World is Oct 26-27, so hopefully we will learn a lot more about Nokia's plans then.

At any rate, at least wait another month or two if you can. There are several known upcoming WP7 phones, and we should learn a LOT more about them in the September-October time frame.

Yeah but what exactly is high end? I mean if it doesn't have lte I don't consider it high end. not to mention windows phones seem to all be the same spec wise and not have any real differentiating factors to them.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but what exactly is high end? I mean if it doesn't have lte I don't consider it high end. not to mention windows phones seem to all be the same spec wise and not have any real differentiating factors to them.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. What I can tell you now is that:
- according to Qualcomm's spec sheet, the newest dual-core Snapdragon is compatible with Windows Phone
- recently it was revealed that WP7 is not Qualcomm-exclusive
- Nokia is being given a lot of leeway in their WP7 designs, supposedly

None of us really know yet, but I think there's a good chance that this high-end device would have LTE. If they really intend for this to be their flagship device in the USA, I'd be surprised if it were only 3G.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The phone is coated in diamonds :D. Yea seriously, what does high end mean? Maybe a better camera and more storage?

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I guess we'll have to wait and see. What I can tell you now is that:
- according to Qualcomm's spec sheet, the newest dual-core Snapdragon is compatible with Windows Phone
- recently it was revealed that WP7 is not Qualcomm-exclusive
- Nokia is being given a lot of leeway in their WP7 designs, supposedly

None of us really know yet, but I think there's a good chance that this high-end device would have LTE. If they really intend for this to be their flagship device in the USA, I'd be surprised if it were only 3G.

You would hope that with new rumors of the iphone may have lte if wp7 wants to compete and Nokia especially that would be a big step in the right direction. I know I would make the jump if a high end wp7 with lte came out. Otherwise I will stick with android or possibly iphone if it has lte.

engineer2001

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I used to exclusively buy Nokia phones. I loved them. I only stopped because carriers in the US basically stopped carrying Nokia phones. I would 100% for sure buy a Verizon-flavor Nokia LTE WP7 smartphone. But I can't wait forever... it had better be at least announced before the holiday prices hit, or I will be in a contract and miss it.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I used to exclusively buy Nokia phones. I loved them. I only stopped because carriers in the US basically stopped carrying Nokia phones. I would 100% for sure buy a Verizon-flavor Nokia LTE WP7 smartphone. But I can't wait forever... it had better be at least announced before the holiday prices hit, or I will be in a contract and miss it.

I always have a Nokia phone for my Russian SIM card, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a Nokia Windows Phone on VZW any time soon. The fact of the matter is, they probably won't have a Windows Phone in the USA at all this year. And when they do, I am thinking they will only be GSM for another 6 months to a year. Get something once a Mango device releases on VZW and then get Nokia in 2 years, it might just take that long anyways.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I always have a Nokia phone for my Russian SIM card, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a Nokia Windows Phone on VZW any time soon. The fact of the matter is, they probably won't have a Windows Phone in the USA at all this year. And when they do, I am thinking they will only be GSM for another 6 months to a year. Get something once a Mango device releases on VZW and then get Nokia in 2 years, it might just take that long anyways.

If it takes them a year or more to release a phone they will be out of business by then. They are already behind and with the upcoming iphone and new android phones if it isn't out in the US on more than 1 carrier before the holidays it's all over for Nokia and wp7

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Anyone hear anything about a new Verizon phone? HTC announced new GSM phones last week, but nothing about CDMA. I'm going to jump ship to Verizon pretty soon. AT&T has terrible coverage in my area and they want $200 for a microcell to fix the service at my house. That'll fix things when I'm at home, but I'll have bad signal elsewhere. Right now it'll cost $235 to cancel my contract. I was a Verizon customer for 10 years and probably only dropped one phone call. So for the same price I can basically switch back to Verizon.

How are people liking the HTC Trophy compared to the Focus? I'm considering switching, but it'd be nice to get a phone with Mango hardware.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the HTC Trophy since Verizon had nothing else to offer for WP7. My hope is that a lack of new WP7 devices on Verizon this fall will mean the Mango update rolls out quickly. That would be a benefit.

Now I like the Trophy's size, but what I really want is a nice screen, LTE and more memory. If Nokia is going to offer something higher end, screen, memory, LTE and camera then I'm all in and will gladly pay retail for it. But given the battery drain on Android with LTE I am willing to wait until I know battery life with WP & LTE is good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss