HTC Eternity

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

"As the world runs short on snarky phone titles (and in fact, starts using a couple of the gems on more than one occasion), we're left to overlook the moniker here while focusing on what's important: that display. In fact, the 4.7-inch WVGA Super LCD shown here actually does seem to extend on for Eternity, and if HTC Inside's leak pans out, we could be looking at the world's next WP7 superphone. It's bruited that this fellow will be shipping with a single-core 1.5GHz processor, 8 megapixel camera (autofocus, dual LED flash), a 720p movie mode, front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera, 16GB of storage, DLNA support, Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS and a 1,650mAh battery. That's a pretty startling list of features, and savvy Windows Phone followers will recognize that the Mango update will indeed be necessary before that front-facing shooter becomes useful. Needless to say, we'll be keeping an ear to the ground for more, as essentials like price and release have thus far eluded us." - engadget

HTC Eternity leaked: 1.5GHz processor, 4.7-inch display, front-facing camera -- Engadget

Thank you engadget and everythingWM for the leak!

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sounds great!! My only problem with HTC handsets, is now that I've gotten my hands on a Samsung AMOLED screen, it's just really hard to see and other screen with the great displays & details the Super AMOLED offers now.

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan myself, the screen is way too big. However, it does point out a 1.5GHz processor, which is obviously faster than the 1GHz that we are currently using, and a front facing camera. The "Sea Ray" only has a 1GHz processor as well.

pdawg17

Jun 6, 2007
Visit site
The main positive to me about this news is that little by little more WP7 phone rumors are happening. I've been holding back on an Arrive so I'm looking forward to hearing some "facts" soon about Sprint phones.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Definately glad to see some device leaks start to come out. I am not really into this one though, too big and HTC. Let's see some Nokia devices with at least semi-real buttons!

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
After seeing this, it finally dawned on me what it is with HTC. They are an Off the Shelf tech company. They take an assemblage of tech off the shelf, and put together a phone.

A company like Samsung has done the R&D and come up with Super AMOLED, and lets be honest, everything else pales in comparison. But because of HTC's lack of R&D, they are going have to rely on components that are at best... I'll use the word BLAH! Unless of course they license the tech.

Making a bad quality camera 8mp does not make it better, it just means you have an 8 MP camera that takes crappy pics. A quality sensor, say from Sony would cost too much for them to license, so they get the cheapest sensor possible.

I have the Trophy and while is a decent phone, its nothing special from the hardware perspective. I bought it on release day on Verizon because I wanted the OS more than I cared about the phone at that point. I know that if some drool worthy device comes along, full retail will not be an obstacle and the Trophy would get donated to someone. But this far from drool worthy.

EDIT: I have a compliment for HTC and the Trophy. On the 4th I was driving and talking to my mom on the phone. As I went through one of those radar zones that the sign just lets you know how fast your going, my radar detector was going nuts for 15-20 seconds before it got to me and I had to mute it. It was making all kinds of racket and my mom on the other end of the call never heard it, but was hearing me fine.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
4.7" I'd be all over this. I love the feel of the HD7 over my Focus. But I'll wait to see what Sammy has in store before I would jump the gun.

Windows Winner

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like HTC are jumping in early with this "mini tablet" - but it's a much better idea to wait for either a Samsung or a Nokia which are better quality and no doubt will have even better specs!!

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
For extended use, larger screens are great. The display fills your vision more and even small elements are easily viewable at typical distances. For pocketing, especially if you're slim and wear fitted pants, they aren't. At this point, if Samsung released the Galaxy SII with Mango on it, I'd be pretty happy for a while. It ticks all the tech boxes, and that (4.3") is as big a screen as I want to pocket, though I'd have it in a case to avoid the nasty phone bulge.

The other issue we're looking at is WVGA on that large a display. I doubt they'd use a pentile display, as Samsung did with the Focus. If they did, we'd be looking at pixel density nearing the pre-Retina Display iPhone. Still, at that size, you're literally looking at pixels. Not something most people would notice (most people didn't notice it on the iPhone), but annoying to those of us with discerning vision.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
For extended use, larger screens are great. The display fills your vision more and even small elements are easily viewable at typical distances. For pocketing, especially if you're slim and wear fitted pants, they aren't. At this point, if Samsung released the Galaxy SII with Mango on it, I'd be pretty happy for a while. It ticks all the tech boxes, and that (4.3") is as big a screen as I want to pocket, though I'd have it in a case to avoid the nasty phone bulge.

The other issue we're looking at is WVGA on that large a display. I doubt they'd use a pentile display, as Samsung did with the Focus. If they did, we'd be looking at pixel density nearing the pre-Retina Display iPhone. Still, at that size, you're literally looking at pixels. Not something most people would notice (most people didn't notice it on the iPhone), but annoying to those of us with discerning vision.

Exactly take the Galaxy S II, Make it rounder, put a windows logo on the middle button and call it a Focus 2. Sure the shipsets are gonna be different and probably won't be 1080p but the camera will still be excellent and is gonna be fast as "heck" =)

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You know what? This device is trash... Or at least it will be trash. HTC just aren't who they were anymore, they went from having amazing R&D to "picking the best looking parts off the shelf" and slapping them together so to speak. What? Leftover parts? Let's slap it together and make a Windows Phone! Great saving time and money! HTC innovating at capitalism, oh wait, no a ****load of companies already do that. So I read this article: Editorial: Downfall of HTC and, while I mostly believe his discontent with HTC is personal, I see some amount of truth to it. When the average consumer doesn't care about the quality of the device (let's face it, none of you can say you're an average consumer lol you're, to an extent, "power users") and most average consumers don't, they [HTC] start to apply better "economically sound" plans for future devices, in layman's terms, quality of the phone turns to **** and goes the way of the flushing toilet. Now that Nokia is on board, I find myself asking the question, will they still want to compete? Launch devices were easy, make a POS device and see how the market reacts to the OS rather than the device, but when all is said and done and people have grown accustomed to the OS, device flaws start to shine brighter than when originally encountered. A good example would be my HD7, at first I didn't give a rats *** about the difficulty pressing the camera button and lock button. Then the volume rocker is the complete opposite of the aforementioned buttons actually making me wonder if it's gonna fall off when a text comes through. Now though, that combined with the loose fitting battery door, I can acknowledge that I have a POS phone. I'm only putting up with it because the OS far outdoes what Android and iOS do. (For me) with that said, I know I will never buy another HTC device again, and will spread negative word of mouth to friends and family about them. All I know is, whether for good or bad of the other OEMs, I can not wait for Nokia Windows Phones.

Edit: oh and btw I blame it entirely on Android. I honestly feel HTC basically just relocated their hardware R&D team overtime to a software R&D for their piece of **** sense UI that nobody cares for anyways.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Dang. Lots of HTC hatred here. They do represent more than 50% of WP sales worldwide, so just think where we would be without them. Phones that can't update, iffy memory card upgrades and WiFi freezing issues, that's where. Are HTC phones beautiful pieces of art, no. But they are well built, dependable, although average, devices. Works for me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are HTC phones beautiful pieces of art, no.
I'd say they sure as **** used to be. Not anymore though... Even if HTC does have that new ODM, that doesn't automatically mean the devices will automatically become those works of art they used to be. For people happy with subpar manufacturing, I'm sure they'd be happy to get an HTC great! It floats their boat, it makes em happy! As for me? I'm waiting for Nokia to floor everyone with the quality of their devices. The biggest question for me though is when they'll be headed over here.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
HTC is having a who has the biggest <insert explicit here> contest with the biggest screens and the most MP in cameras. They don't know wtf to do with themselves when it comes to building a device. Not only are they not innovative, but they're just choosing whatever they have available.

I was taking some night shots with my EVO 3D last night and showed them to my boy that was over and he laughed. He's thinking about upgrading, but I got him addicted to iPhone devices (before WP was out) and he's currently rocking a hand-me-down 3G (not even 3GS). He's waiting for the i5 to make his decision though. Hopefully new Mango devices come out, especially some Nokia devices with awesome optics as he likes to take pictures, but doesn't want to have the same device as me. Lol.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Luis please edit your post better. I'm having trouble to read it.
Excuse me? I used proper grammar for the entire post, or at least as much as my HD7 let me. I typed it out on my HD7 as I wasn't at a computer at the time. Long story short, HTC went from making great devices in the WinMo days to making average devices for Android and subpar devices for Windows Phone. If they continue to lack quality, that article that i linked basically states that HTC will soon find themselves out of business, or back to simply being an ODM like they used to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3