Any new LTE VZW Windows Phone 7 coming soon? I am trying to resist the Droid Bionic

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I do wish they kept their ads going, but I guess they are waiting for Mango's release. So we will have to wait and see if it was worth it hehe.

I've started to see more and more WP7's out recently which is good, but I really don't expect much absorption into the consumer market until we see the now feature rich OS with more enticing hardware options coming in the next few months.

The point with Android is you shouldn't need to beef up the hardware like a gamer PC to run smooth. These current gen WP7 phones have 2 gen old hardware and run like butter. Thats the difference in polish of the OS and software experience that Apple & MS has over Google (and others). Thats also a reason they will be able to penetrate the lower end market in addition to the high end with fantastic user experience phones that are cheap while still retaining their polished feel. Even iOS4 has issues on lesser hardware like the iPhone3G.

Yeah I saw ads like when it first launched but after about 2 weeks that was it. Idk why you wouldn't want to advertise your product lol.

Windows Winner

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Even if you went down the Droid Bionic road, I strongly think you'd soon be yearning for a Windows Mango phone when they start arriving on the shelf. It's wise to wait.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Even if you went down the Droid Bionic road, I strongly think you'd soon be yearning for a Windows Mango phone when they start arriving on the shelf. It's wise to wait.

I've never used a wp7 so what would lure me in? I am just curious because I look at it from more of a hardware stand point and if it will last me throughout my entire 2 year contract since there is no more 1 year contracts. What would lure me away from android or IOS? jw

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've never used a wp7 so what would lure me in? I am just curious because I look at it from more of a hardware stand point and if it will last me throughout my entire 2 year contract since there is no more 1 year contracts. What would lure me away from android or IOS? jw

If my droid would have continued to run smooth and I wouldn't have gotten an iPhone for my wife I probably would have got another Android. I don't see the advertising for WP7 like Apple has and the Android phones have. In my opinion Microsoft needs to step up the advertising after mango is out. If they don't I can't see a bright future for WP7 even though it is an excellent os.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Having owned and sold (3) different Android LTE phones I can say battery life and OS updates are a major detractor (carrier crippled too). WP7 will benefit from LTE on Verizon but I hope they don't rush it into the phones before the 2nd gen chips are ready who needs a phone with a paltry 1300mAh battery dead in 2 hours because their phone is bouncing between 3G & 4G LTE which is a current issue with Android LTE phones.

I will take stable and solid performance that will get the job done over needing external battery pack everywhere I go.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
^ I owned an Evo 4G for 8 months, and I can tell you that Sprint's 4G is more trouble than it's worth. Or at least it was at the time. 4G was very fast when you got a signal, but it was so spotty that it constantly switched between 3G and 4G. And it seemed like that was when the battery would drain the quickest.

I honestly think HSPA+ ("fake 4G", "3.9G", whatever you want to call it) is a better technology than wimax and LTE for right now. It still gives you some damn fast speeds, but it's much easier on your battery. LTE is the future, but I'll wait until we have more efficient radios and more consistent signal reliability before I really get excited about it.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree, 4G LTE on Verizon is not a must have what needs to hit Verizon right now is more WP7 devices. I mean is Verizon going to roll along with 1 (ONE) device until 2012 when maybe, possibly Nokia will deliver that "high end" WP7 device? There has to be more options coming, something from Samsung with AMOLED or SAMOLED+ for the holidays.

I like the OS, I like my Trophy but I really wanted to choose from more than 1 device. I wanted a few options, but I wasn't going to AT&T, not again and certainly not in my market.

Candide yams

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I'd highly recommend trying one out. If you live in a city with a Microsoft store that's the best place. otherwise, go to Verizon or even one of the other 3 major carriers and test it. I own an Android currently (HTC Incredible) and I can't wait to move. A phone shouldn't lag like this after being on the market for a year and a half. i even rooted it thinking a lot of the lag and force closes would stop, but it doesn't.

Dual cores on Android are like spicy sushi dishes at Japanese restaurants. If a restaurant has not only spicy tuna, but spicy whitetail, salmon and others, then they're trying to cover up that they use old fish. A crazy specced out Android phone has to have those specs in order to not lag horribly since it's not optimized properly.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Resist...
Bionic owners peeved by high-pitched whine, source of the sound still a mystery
http://engt.co/mRvGy0

You really want that buggy operating system!?

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd hold out on LTE for a while. I've got a friend on Verizon with a Droid X and he's tempted to buy a Bionic out of contract, but he's pretty hesitant. The phone runs hot and the battery life isn't as good as it should be when using LTE. Plus if you're in an area where you kind of get LTE you're probably going to experience faster battery drain.

I'd wait another 6 months or so when they iron out battery life and heat issues. Whether WP7 has a LTE phone then who knows, but by waiting you'll be able to get a better Android phone out of it.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd hold out on LTE for a while. I've got a friend on Verizon with a Droid X and he's tempted to buy a Bionic out of contract, but he's pretty hesitant. The phone runs hot and the battery life isn't as good as it should be when using LTE. Plus if you're in an area where you kind of get LTE you're probably going to experience faster battery drain.

I'd wait another 6 months or so when they iron out battery life and heat issues. Whether WP7 has a LTE phone then who knows, but by waiting you'll be able to get a better Android phone out of it.

but any phone lte or not if you are in a spotty coverage area is going to drain the battery faster.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, well I'm disappointed to hear no news yet about new Mango phones on Verizon. At least this thread kept me from starting a new one (was about to in the General forum and noticed this one). I just hit my 20 month eligibility on Verizon and have been hoping to get a WP7 phone to replace my Motorola Droid.

I have an old 8GB Zune and love the subscription service so I was hoping to integrate and just get a WP7 phone. I know I could get the Trophy but I played with some of VZW's 4g phones and wow I want the network speed.

Guess I'll hold out a bit and see what happens. I'm not doing anything anyway until the HTC Vigor and the next Nexus device for Android hit to see how they perform.

captainqtp

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
slightly OT, but not worth a new thread either

I've been looking for any rumors I can find of a 2nd gen cdma WP7 device with a physical keyboard. I was praying Nokia would build one, but that doesn't seem to be on the menu. I want to switch to wp7 but after trying the all touchscreen, all the time experience for over a year, I really, really want a keyboard back. I'm stuck with VZW because work pays for it. So... anyone have a suggestion? I'm willing to wait till year end... maybe Q1.

By the way, this is my first time posting here, so hi everyone.

xmind

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
same here. up on contract now and was hoping to jump to WP7 and preferably with LTE...but man haven't heard even a rumor of anything coming VZW's way. Although a top exec said WP7 was one of the 3 they want to support I don't see that at the stores. The stores I go to always has the Trophy in the corner and in the one store it was the only phone that didn't have an internet connection for some reason..... I really want a WP7 version of the Thunderbolt...4.3" screen + LTE would be my ideal phone. A high end Nokia would be cool too, but I guarantee that they aren't doing CDMA based phones anytime soon.

I used to be a tweaker having WM5/6/6.5 and then an Android device, but I'm tired of tweaking out of necessecity to get rid of issues and trying to reduce lag. I just want a phone to work out of the box (and not an iPhone or BB).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb