HTC event September 1st

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Not seen a thread on here anyone else kinda excited the buzz around saying there going to be talking about mango and releasing devices. I'd suggest new members and people switching over from others os's wait it out for a little longer!

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's almost a reality to me. I might actually have a Windows Phone by the end of the year. But I am a little hesitant, as things always take longer than we think. And I am also not sure about the device quality. Doesn't sound like any 4G devices will be around in the next year, which is sad. But I hope I am surprised.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
yeah things always take longer. and 4g would be a big surprise hoping for front facing cam, expandable mem, and beats audio but i doubt it.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking forward to a one more thing type moment when they tell us when existing HTC phones will get Mango. That way we have a rough release date estimate.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's almost a reality to me. I might actually have a Windows Phone by the end of the year. But I am a little hesitant, as things always take longer than we think. And I am also not sure about the device quality. Doesn't sound like any 4G devices will be around in the next year, which is sad. But I hope I am surprised.

What kind of 4G are you talking about? Mango phones on T-Mobile and AT&T will definitely have HSPA+ 4G. 2nd-gen Snapdragon processors (minimum spec for all Mango phones) have HSPA+ support built in.

Wimax (Sprint) and LTE (Verizon) might be a different story. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4G Windows phone from them in the near future. They're both trying so hard to pimp their 4G networks.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
What kind of 4G are you talking about? Mango phones on T-Mobile and AT&T will definitely have HSPA+ 4G. 2nd-gen Snapdragon processors (minimum spec for all Mango phones) have HSPA+ support built in.

Wimax (Sprint) and LTE (Verizon) might be a different story. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4G Windows phone from them in the near future. They're both trying so hard to pimp their 4G networks.

Hmm, I guess I don't know enough about what TMo and AT&T are doing. I thought AT&T was also rolling out LTE? How is HSPA+?

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I guess I don't know enough about what TMo and AT&T are doing. I thought AT&T was also rolling out LTE? How is HSPA+?

Verizon LTE vs T-Mobile HSPA+ vs Sprint WiMAX

T-Mobile's HSPA+ is actually very comparable to LTE and WiMAX. I don't really know much about AT&T's HSPA+ though.

Basically, LTE is seen as a better future upgrade path. In order to be considered "true" 4G, the technology has to eventually scale up to 1000 Mbps download while stationary and 100 Mbps while in motion. HSPA+, on the other hand, is just an upgraded version of 3G technology, and it was a big controversy whether they should be allowed to market it as 4G. But the actual reality today is that speed-wise it's comparable to the "true 4G" technologies.

In a nutshell: LTE is the future. All the carriers will upgrade to it eventually. But for the near future, HSPA+ is a very close competitor.

anon62607

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

HSPA+ is presently deployed on 5+5 MHz (FDD) and LTE (with Verizon anyway) deployed on 10+10 MHz, while WiMax is deployed on 10 MHz TDD. An upgrade path for HSPA+ allows for use of dual carriers which effectively brings it up to the spectrum utilization that LTE on Verizon is presently using. Both use the same order modulation in the best radio environment (64QAM) and there is an upgrade path for HSPA+ that would keep it's spectral efficiency (bitrate per Hz) at or better than Rev. 8 LTE and once deployed on the same spectrum will basically be just as fast as LTE.

There are other advantages to LTE (all IP for example) that are optional rather than mandatory extensions to HSPA+. I'm not sure how it's being deployed with T-Mobile.

One big advantage that LTE has as deployed by Verizon (and as will be deployed by AT&T mostly) is that it's in the 700-800 MHz frequency range. Atmospheric attenuation increases as a power of the frequency so for the same power an LTE signal will have greater range (or better SNR) as deployed on Verizon. In other countries LTE is deployed on an even higher frequency than HSPA+ is on T-Mobile and thus the advantage isn't inherent to LTE, just a side effect of the deployed frequency.

Of course, the future is probably going to be very small sector sizes both in radial range and angle - people have been talking about beam division multiple access even - since we all are sharing only one electromagnetic spectrum the best way to make use of that spectrum is keep the cell sizes as small as possible (a few hundred meters I imagine, in urban environments) and who knows, maybe atmospheric attenuation is an advantage there.

LTE-Advanced (or rel. 10 LTE) as well as WiMax 2 were the only formally accepted 4Gs originally and there are several requirements for 4G, not just eventual bandwidth to the end user but spectral efficiency and so on - but I think the ITU just gave up and said anyone can call anything that is faster than 3G '4G'.

1000 Mbps can't be the only requirement for 4G (commenting on a below comment). Anyone can come up with a system that would deliver 1000 Mbps even with very simple modulation if allowed to deploy on 1000 MHz of spectrum.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.512309,65.847903

anon62607

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Sprints going LTE soon which is great

It's possible that they'll be doing everything, even through Clear - Clear has enough spectrum that they could devote 30 MHz to legacy WiMax, 20 MHz to LTE rel 8 and 40 MHz to LTE rel 10 (LTE Advanced) and still have spectrum left over.

It's not impossible that WiMax will continue to work forever, and will just be yet another radio in the phone. Sprint phones in the future would then have 1xRTT, 1xEVDO, WiMax, LTE and LTE-Advanced radios. It'd be interesting.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.512309,65.847903

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think if they do not announce any new mango phones until after the i5 and new android launches they will really be shooting themselves in the foot. They need to do something to get people to want to wait for a wp7 phone.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I just hope BGR mistyped when they said they are going to announce the HTC Eternity and it having a 3.7 inch screen. I mean it was rumored to have a 4.7 inch screen, and quite frankly I want a good HTC phone on AT&T. 3.7 inches just seems too small for me.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I told them they had it backwards. All the information up to this point has been the Eternity would be 4.7" screen. I think they got it backwards.
I just hope BGR mistyped when they said they are going to announce the HTC Eternity and it having a 3.7 inch screen. I mean it was rumored to have a 4.7 inch screen, and quite frankly I want a good HTC phone on AT&T. 3.7 inches just seems too small for me.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hoping for some surprises on the 1st, but I kinda doubt it. The Titan (formely the Eternity, going to AT&T) and the radar (Formely the Omega, T-Mobile) will probably be the only two W7's announced. No CDMA device gossip yet. THAT is what is bothersome for a Sprint or Verizon customer. There isn't even gossip yet.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't lose hope yet. HTC seems to take an even-handed approach. They like to have something on every major carrier. I'd be pretty surprised if they snubbed Verizon and Sprint and only released Mango phones on the GSM carriers. Just because nothing has leaked yet doesn't mean they don't exist.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Don't lose hope yet. HTC seems to take an even-handed approach. They like to have something on every major carrier. I'd be pretty surprised if they snubbed Verizon and Sprint and only released Mango phones on the GSM carriers. Just because nothing has leaked yet doesn't mean they don't exist.

I don't think it'd be HTC snubbing Sprint and VZW. I think it is Sprint and VZW snubbing Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05