OEMs aren't doing any favors to Microsoft

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
For me to upgrade my Trophy I need more than a FFC, LTE would be much nicer, 32GB installed is a must and a nicer display. Not a higher Res display (now that I know its an OS limitation) but a nicer looking one.

I would like to see what Nokia has to offer, but Samsung would be nice as well with AMOLED or SAMOLED+ if possible.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
A low end device wont get them back in the game. Look at the reactions to the Titan and Radar, both were well received but everyone is looking at the Titan, the Radar appeals to some but its not seen as the go-to second gen WP7 device. If Nokia comes out with a second string device they shouldnt be surprised if they dont get any attention when(if) samsung also releases a true flagship device.

It depends where.

In the US and maybe UK it might not get them much press. But elsewhere, like Asia, the Nokia name is press enough. People specifically go looking for Nokia.

The vast majority of Nokia's market comes from low to mid-range devices. Keep in mind that WP7 still is incredibly fluid and fast with the minimum spec devices. We even saw dev devices before launch that were fluid with 800 mhz processors. The non-flagship devices will make up the vast majority of their lineup. And they will be GOOD PHONES that are faster than more expensive fancy spec phones. They'll take better quality pictures than many fancy high spec phones. They'll have better signal strength than a lot of fancy high spec phones. I just hope that some of these mid-range devices are made available with at least 16 GB of storage.

What makes a better phone? The specs or the performance?

I'm not saying that Nokia shouldn't make a flagship high spec device. But I am saying that likely won't be their focus.

We'll likely see a bunch of mid-range devices that still look and perform quite nicely. Then there may be one device (the 9xx series) that is has impressive "specs". The only noticeable performance difference will likely be the load times and frame rates of a few games. Though in a high spec device I'd like to see 32 GB or storage.

heyitwrx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I frankly have no idea what Nokia is doing. It's been 7 months since the partnership was announced and still these days there's almost more news about non-wp7 than wp7. If I were MS I wouldn't be happy with where things stand, especially after agreeing to pay $1B. It's a matter of weeks before people lock in new 2yr contracts with the iPhone5 and we'll see where ICS comes in. Would have been a great time to have a Nokia alternative, but instead it's looking closer to spring for US availability.
I realize that I know nothing of the internals of Nokia and the challenges in switching to a new OS but from the outside it seems like a pretty sad flagship effort for WP7. Hope things change soon and Nokia comes with some goodies.

You need to keep in mind that not only is it new software but also new hardware for Nokia to deal with. At launch at least (I'm not sure if this has changed) the only processor even allowed on a WP7 phone was the Qualcomm Snapdragon. With all of the lawsuits in the past I don't believe they have ever used a Qualcomm chip so unless MS has loosened up the requirements they are basically starting from scratch.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It depends where.

In the US and maybe UK it might not get them much press. But elsewhere, like Asia, the Nokia name is press enough. People specifically go looking for Nokia.

The vast majority of Nokia's market comes from low to mid-range devices. Keep in mind that WP7 still is incredibly fluid and fast with the minimum spec devices. We even saw dev devices before launch that were fluid with 800 mhz processors. The non-flagship devices will make up the vast majority of their lineup. And they will be GOOD PHONES that are faster than more expensive fancy spec phones. They'll take better quality pictures than many fancy high spec phones. They'll have better signal strength than a lot of fancy high spec phones. I just hope that some of these mid-range devices are made available with at least 16 GB of storage.

What makes a better phone? The specs or the performance?

I'm not saying that Nokia shouldn't make a flagship high spec device. But I am saying that likely won't be their focus.

We'll likely see a bunch of mid-range devices that still look and perform quite nicely. Then there may be one device (the 9xx series) that is has impressive "specs". The only noticeable performance difference will likely be the load times and frame rates of a few games. Though in a high spec device I'd like to see 32 GB or storage.

Under normal circumstances launching with a mid-range phone would be fine, but with the situation with WP7's sales and Nokia's rapidly diminishing marketshare as it is their first device needs to be a real standout. That grabs the attention of consumers, draws them to the phone and other models and starts to put WP7 in front of people who value the Nokia brand and all it stands for.

We musn't forget that the competition will also keep getting better, increasing their marketshare and lead over WP7/Nokia and mindshare with consumers. Rather than allow the competition to get so far ahead for a long time I think its better to start the comeback as soon as possible with a big splash for Nokia's first WP7.

Someone's got to do it, doesnt look like htc, samsung or anyone else is going to. Nokia's got the most to lose so they are the one's who should be putting the most into WP7.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Reviving this thread as we now know that the Focus S has only 16GB of memory

Samsung Focus S hands-on preview reveals 16 GB of storage | WMPoweruser

These 2nd generation devices are disappointing across the board. Not a single combination of:
Good Screen quality and Size
32GB+ Storage
Good Build Quality
Front Facing Camera

Some of these might not matter to people, but it's a simple check the box of thing. If you want to compete with the iPhone and Android superphones, you have to check these boxes off.

Supremely disappointing effort by MSFT's hardware partners this generation

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Reviving this thread as we now know that the Focus S has only 16GB of memory

Samsung Focus S hands-on preview reveals 16 GB of storage | WMPoweruser

These 2nd generation devices are disappointing across the board. Not a single combination of:
Good Screen quality and Size
32GB+ Storage
Good Build Quality
Front Facing Camera

Some of these might not matter to people, but it's a simple check the box of thing. If you want to compete with the iPhone and Android superphones, you have to check these boxes off.

Supremely disappointing effort by MSFT's hardware partners this generation

I completely agree. The discussions of dual core or significantly higher RAM don't really change the experience for the end user. It's the storage, build quality, screen quality, and camera that will set them apart from the rest of the WP7.5 herd. I have heard that the demand for the new iPhones and the iPads has caused shortages in 16GB and 32GB flash memory, which could be constraining the OEMs somewhat but I do wish some OEM/carrier would take that first step and offer a phone with a choice of storage options at different price points, as the iPhone does, rather than decide for us how much storage we need.

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm also a little disapointed with the new releases, not one hit the mark from my POV.

It seems like every single one is lacking in at least 1 department and none make me want to trade in my 16Gb Omnia 7.

I'm starting to wonder if the entrance of Nokia had an effect on releases from the other partners.

IMHO Single core is not one of the issues though, 1.4-1.5 Ghz looks pretty nice to me, especially when the upgrade to the GPU element is taken into account.

Nokias Lumia 800 screen size is just too small for me and the lack of FFC is a curious missed opportunity. Love the design though, that's how to make an up market all plastic phone. Close but no cigar Nokia!!

HTCs Radar whilst well designed appears to be strangely downclocked to 1ghz, still better than Gen 1 devices due to the core enhancements though. Again the screen size is a put off and 8Gb is simply inadequate.

An honourable mention should go the HTC Titan. Processor, Storeage (16Gb is enough), camera, Screen and build quality all hit my check boxes. I'm just a bit unsure if I can go for something that big.

Samsungs Focus S, like the Titan hits most of the points on my super phone checklist. I'm a little unsure about the lightweight plastic design and in the end it wont matter as we'll not get it over here in the UK. WTF Samsung where's the Euro S grade phones??

Samsungs Omnia W. Great in every respect apart from the limited storeage and the screen size/ Non-RGB Amoled. I like the build/design better than the Focus S.

ZTE, bit of an unknown quantity in my book.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos