Mangoes in America?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to keep up with the announcements of new Windows Phones, but I am just not clear on something. Have there been any phones announced for America? I feel like the Titan and its little brother are only for Europe and Asia and there's the IS12T in Japan. There is also the Nokia phones that have leaked, but Nokia said no US phones until at least 2012. I haven't heard a thing from Samsung or LG. And then there is that Acer phone with HDMI, but I don't know much else about it.

I just don't understand why Microsoft or its OEMs are working this way. Many of the services on Windows Phone are only available in a few countries (the US being one of them), so why not work hard to push them out here? I honestly feel like Microsoft doesn't even care about existing markets anymore.

I'm on Verizon and I'm available for an upgrade now and my contract ends early November, but unless I see signs soon about a next-gen Windows Phone coming to any of the US carriers by then, I'm probably going to go with a...dare I say it...Droid.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nothing has been announced yet. Mango supposedly launches in the US on September 15 so we should see Mango devices announced shortly thereafter. So just hold on a little bit. We should know a lot more within the next month or so.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The launch of devices is more about OEMs than Microsoft.

I'm guessing that it's just easier to launch in other countries. Less carrier BS.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The launch of devices is more about OEMs than Microsoft.

I'm guessing that it's just easier to launch in other countries. Less carrier BS.

Absolutely. Look at the Galaxy S 2. The USA is just about to get it now. . . presumably because each carrier wants its own specialized version with their own crapware on it.

The rest of the world has had them since April. Heck, I went on vacation to Peru earlier this Summer, and they even have the GS2.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely. Look at the Galaxy S 2. The USA is just about to get it now. . . presumably because each carrier wants its own specialized version with their own crapware on it.

The rest of the world has had them since April. Heck, I went on vacation to Peru earlier this Summer, and they even have the GS2.

Yup, that just figures. So it's not even the OEM's, it's the carriers. Each and every one of them is doing everything they can do drag their feet. Very frustrating.

corknut

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I wish they'd say something beyond tweeting incomprehensible tidbits. My iPhone broke and I decided to wait for the next WP7 hardware refresh before getting a new phone, but this wait is really killing me. Its getting so bad I might just have to break down and get an android or another iPhone.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well you want rumors or gossip or launch information and talk about not getting it and when they annouce early and it takes longer than you want it take you gripe about not releasing it quick enough. VZN has been lukewarm about WP as has Sprint and so the main impetus is on ATT and Tmo ATT is hopefully moving quicker on testing than they were with nodo and they have to release the 7392 at the same time per MS policy for the Focus 1.3. If the software is ready or when the WP7.5 new devices should be rolling out also! Patience!

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
jfa1, I'm not complaining simply because I'm impatient; I'm upset because we've heard about so many non-US phones without a single peep of a US-based phone.

I honestly believe that WP has lost in America. I'm done rooting for it here. However, I believe it will become a huge, huge competitor in other parts of the world--primarily emerging markets. I believe that Microsoft will end up still having a huge market share overall (and WP will ultimately become successful), simply because of how well they will do in other regions, regardless of its minuscule market share in America.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Maybe HTC will announce American phones at their event on the 20th, at the very least maybe where Titan and Radar will land stateside.

eBud#WP

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Been a BlackBerry guy for years and lately Nokia Sea Ray (Mango) really got my attention! But curious as to whether Mango will allow drag and drop file operations for both data and photos - like a pc? Will my MS Office sync with my MS phone? Any info out on that yet?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Maybe HTC will announce American phones at their event on the 20th, at the very least maybe where Titan and Radar will land stateside.

I am honestly starting to believe that both the Radar and the Titan will end up in America, too (just later). If you look on the US version of the WP site, they are both listed in the devices area. The usual Europe-only devices still aren't, though. I just don't know why HTC didn't have a big party in the US, too, though, if they are going to release them here. My guess is that they haven't solidified a carrier for them yet.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Been a BlackBerry guy for years and lately Nokia Sea Ray (Mango) really got my attention! But curious as to whether Mango will allow drag and drop file operations for both data and photos - like a pc? Will my MS Office sync with my MS phone? Any info out on that yet?

To get your office files on your phone, you will upload them from your computer to Skydrive and then you'll be able to access them on your phone. Apparently, Microsoft is making unlimited storage for Office files, so you'll be able to upload as many as you'd like. That'd also make it nice if you need to download them on another computer.

The closest thing you'll get to drag and drop on WP is when you set your phone to manually sync things and then you'll drag the song, video, or picture to the phone icon in the Zune software when it is synced. It's not a file explorer, but you can choose 1, 2, or however many pictures you would like at once to sync.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I completely forgot about the leaked AT&T roadmap. There will be at least two new Mango phones there. I'm thinking the HTC one might be the Titan, but knowing American carriers, it might be an exclusive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven