HTC Titan, Samsung Focus S and Focus Flash coming to AT&T

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Focus S has to be the WP7 version of the Galaxy S2 that we have heard rumors about. Focus Flash would be the Omnia W.

Man, why do all the best phones go to the worst carrier? I almost hope T-Mobile does get bought out now. . .

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Yay!!?

My first immpressions were "Yay, some progress, and a (vague) timeline!"
However, this appears to be all of the (WP) devices that AT&T is releasing for the rest of the year. I am disappointed that LG did not have an offering this time around. I don't want to be the fly in the ointment (does anyone ever use that analogy anymore), but this news could have been just a bit better.
No, I'm not complaining, and these three devices really seem to fill the needs of most demographics, but it just seems that AT&T didn't leave any room for anouncing more devices this year.

The way it looks though, I'll likely be getting the Focus Flash because of it's "usable" size. I may change my mind once they get into stores.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't hate,... congratulate! :)

Though it would be nice to see more devices on other carriers just so that WP is available for more people.

That Samsung Focus S seems nice. 4.3" Super AMOLED+.

I wonder how much storage it will have.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Don't hate,... congratulate! :)

Though it would be nice to see more devices on other carriers just so that WP is available for more people.

That Samsung Focus S seems nice. 4.3" Super AMOLED+.

I wonder how much storage it will have.

Yep, thats my opinion as well. Would be nice to see other carriers show some love for WP7 but it seems they dont care, so for the growth of the platform I am happy to see them go with top-tier devices. Add in a few Nokia's down the line and WP7 has the potential for good growth going forward.

But lets not forget the marketing MS! No good having handsets if no one knows about them.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
My first immpressions were "Yay, some progress, and a (vague) timeline!"
However, this appears to be all of the (WP) devices that AT&T is releasing for the rest of the year. I am disappointed that LG did not have an offering this time around. I don't want to be the fly in the ointment (does anyone ever use that analogy anymore), but this news could have been just a bit better.
No, I'm not complaining, and these three devices really seem to fill the needs of most demographics, but it just seems that AT&T didn't leave any room for anouncing more devices this year.

The way it looks though, I'll likely be getting the Focus Flash because of it's "usable" size. I may change my mind once they get into stores.

I feel pretty much the same, where are you Quantum 2. Most likely I'll pass on these offerings, perhaps get enticed by a Nokia next year but if not I can wait until version 8 hits.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Focus S has to be the WP7 version of the Galaxy S2 that we have heard rumors about. Focus Flash would be the Omnia W.

Man, why do all the best phones go to the worst carrier? I almost hope T-Mobile does get bought out now. . .

Well I would first of all disagree that ATT is the worest carrier. My opinion is certainly different. In the last 12 years I could have posssibly switched numerous times but have had no really compelling reasons where I live to do so. After that aside the reason that ATT is getting the devices is they were and are the premier parttner with MS in WP so they should be getting them.

As far as Tmo they still are likely to be sold to some company. One half of the "partnership" wants out and its not Verizon. Whose the best fit VZN not really Sprint even less likely whose left The big Blue DeathStar ATT. I personally dont see anything else heppening! Its kinda like the Borg You will be assimilated" Unless MS were to buy them but that doesnt seem likely!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I think, come next year when I'm looking at a new handset, it's going to be between the Focus S (or Omnia S, or whatever they call it in the UK) and whatever Nokia come out with.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I would first of all disagree that ATT is the worest carrier. My opinion is certainly different. In the last 12 years I could have posssibly switched numerous times but have had no really compelling reasons where I live to do so. After that aside the reason that ATT is getting the devices is they were and are the premier parttner with MS in WP so they should be getting them.

As far as Tmo they still are likely to be sold to some company. One half of the "partnership" wants out and its not Verizon. Whose the best fit VZN not really Sprint even less likely whose left The big Blue DeathStar ATT. I personally dont see anything else heppening! Its kinda like the Borg You will be assimilated" Unless MS were to buy them but that doesnt seem likely!

The thing with AT&T is they have great coverage, but terrible reliability where I'm at. I live in Chicago, and during peak times here, you're VERY likely to get dropped. I use AT&T for my work phone, and there are many times where I'll have to call back 2-3 times just to finish a 3 minute conversation with a coworker.

I also have a 3G adapter for my laptop. For my job, sometimes I have to upload a 60MB debug/log file to a server while talking to an engineer on the phone. One time it was so bad, I was only getting single-digit KB/s, and at the same time I couldn't talk on the phone more than 30 seconds without getting dropped. This is while it indicated full signal strength. I finally just left the job site, drove back to my office, uploaded the files, and drove back.

There's also the fact that their service is basically tied with Verizon as being the most expensive. Plus they have data caps and limited text messaging.

I admit, they do have great coverage. I get a good signal just about everywhere I go, even in places where T-Mobile and Sprint get none. But their prices and their unacceptable performance during peak times make me never want to use AT&T as my personal carrier.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site

You mean why do all the best GSM phones go to the leading GSM carrier?

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Jw, is wpcentral going to soon make 2 new separate categories for the samsung focus s and the focus flash on the forum like they did the titan?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The biggest difference is Super AMOLED + gets rid of PenTile. That was everybody's biggest complaint about Super AMOLED displays.

Does getting rid of the PenTile get rid of burn in problems I've been reading about on some WP7 Super AMOLED phones?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
No, but it makes everything sharper and colors look better (more real). It also uses about 18% less power than the Super AMOLED dsplay, if that matters to you.

dragonfire6

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Do you think they'll be announcing the Focus S's release date tomorrow at Build?? I have an upgrade just waiting for me to use and I'm getting really anxious! I was gonna go with the HD7S because of the screen size over the focus but now that they stepped up to 4.3" also, I'm sold...

I would actually like to get a Focus or HD7S now IF the Focus S will be available within 30 days for me to still be able to take advantage of the upgrade discount!

Either way, my Captivate will be in a drawer next to my Razr very soon...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise