Nokia hat trick on the way Q1 2012

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Holy ****.

That form factor, those specs. Please be real, that's the prettiest phone I ever seen.

That picture was just one of the concept renders Nokia released the day they made their Windows Phone announcement. It may or may not end up being a real product.

That said, you just know Nokia's WP7.5 flagship will be amazing. I'm switching to AT&T if that's where it goes to.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For me:

1- Nokia phones have a kung-fu grip on reception. My Focus, while great, will drop calls.
2- Nokia will have a very nice camera/imaging solution. Trust me on this one.

That kung-fu grip and nice camera are two things I'm very interested in.

They can't keep up with Apple. The iPhone 4S is the first "world phone" and once again Apple changes everything. The competition is always 2-3 years behind. Maybe by 2015 we'll finally get a Retina Display on a Windows Phone instead of the same old 800x480 crap.

If Apple is 2-3 years ahead why don't you have an iphone?

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
They can't keep up with Apple. The iPhone 4S is the first "world phone" and once again Apple changes everything. The competition is always 2-3 years behind. Maybe by 2015 we'll finally get a Retina Display on a Windows Phone instead of the same old 800x480 crap.

That's not true at all. Verizon has "world phones" that can roam both on GSM and CDMA networks. I believe Sprint offers some as well. AT&T and T-Mobile phones are GSM and can work just fine in most countries.

BTW the updated Samsung Omnia 7 that recently went through FCC certification has both GSM and CDMA bands. That will likely be the first Windows world phone that can run on both CDMA and GSM networks.

As far as resolution goes, 800x480 is the standard for Windows phones. There probably won't be anything higher than that until WP8. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, either. It means app devs have one native resolution to develop for and don't have to worry about different aspect ratio. Besides, I don't see anybody whining about Galaxy S2's (and soon to be Focus S's) amazing 800x480 SAMOLED+ screen.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone uses an LCD screen. Retina display is just Apples branding. It has that high pixel count because it has a much smaller than normal screen. It doesn't matter if a phone has GSM and CDMA radios. It can only work on a CDMA network if that network will activate it. They only activate phones that they carry. There were a number of world phones before the iPhone.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That picture was just one of the concept renders Nokia released the day they made their Windows Phone announcement. It may or may not end up being a real product.

That said, you just know Nokia's WP7.5 flagship will be amazing. I'm switching to AT&T if that's where it goes to.

Aw man, I didn't saw that one before. It has that LG Optimus like form factor that I really like. I like those sharp edges. I'll cross my fingers =D

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The screen resolution is set by Microsoft. OEM's cannot make higher resolution screens. And as far as CDMA goes, it's over... I've faced the facts, and it's time everyone else does too. It needs to go away, we need to join the rest of the world.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
BTW the updated Samsung Omnia 7 that recently went through FCC certification has both GSM and CDMA bands. That will likely be the first Windows world phone that can run on both CDMA and GSM networks.
Ahem...

HTC Mobile Phones - Trophy

Network
CDMA: 800/1900 MHz
HSPA/WCDMA: 2100 MHz
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The screen resolution is set by Microsoft. OEM's cannot make higher resolution screens. And as far as CDMA goes, it's over... I've faced the facts, and it's time everyone else does too. It needs to go away, we need to join the rest of the world.

Might happen. Some analysts think Verizon's adoption of LTE, could be the beginning of the end for CDMA. It's not just used in the US, but also Canada, Mexico, China, Japan, Taiwan and Korea.

bropes8

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I might as well suck it up like you. I'm at the point where I'm actually pissed off about the lack of CDMA Windows Phones, and Verizon and Sprint obviously aren't that interested. I'm eligible for an upgrade at the end of October, and if i don't even hear a HINT of new Verizon WPs, then I guess I'll settle for the Trophy. There's nothing wrong with it at all, it's actually a really nice phone; I was just hoping for some new hardware, maybe with a front-facing camera. Oh well, I'll just keep coming back here every day for any word on new phones... even though I'll be drooling over the ones going to AT&T and TMO haha.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Buy a WP phone, never pay taxes again!
Kingcrimson: you still won't have retinal display.

Buy a WP, and you will be able to fly AND live forever!
Kingcrimson: yeah, but you still wont have cdma flying at 40000'.

Buy a WP and world hunger ends!
Kingcrimson: yeah, but you still wont have to buy new accessory docking stations/radios, new cases every other year, be told what you like or have the freshest fully integrated UI that has ever been put into a cell phone like the boring played out grid of apps of the awesome iPhone.....

L

lumic

How are you enjoying a glass back that can't be dropped onto a table from 5cm above? How are you enjoying a static weather icon? How lovely is the drop-dead pathetic UI? It was made for users who want to emulate real life on their phones, with features such as brushed aluminium and wood inserts. Look around, the world is a great place. Stop burying your nose in your screen to make out the individual pixels.

CDMA is a dying technology. Also, the US has severe fragmentation between carrier networks. Most Windows Phones will be able to easily switch between all the carriers in my country.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Buy a WP phone, never pay taxes again!
Kingcrimson: you still won't have retinal display.

Buy a WP, and you will be able to fly AND live forever!
Kingcrimson: yeah, but you still wont have cdma flying at 40000'.

Buy a WP and world hunger ends!
Kingcrimson: yeah, but you still wont have to buy new accessory docking stations/radios, new cases every other year, be told what you like or have the freshest fully integrated UI that has ever been put into a cell phone like the boring played out grid of apps of the awesome iPhone.....

That's not very convincing Burt I thought you liked windows phone...lol You didn't even tell him how we can print money...lol

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Remember Tech Blogger Scott Summers? he caught a glimpsed of the Nokia Ace prototype and lasers started shooting out of his eyes. He goes by Cyclops now.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, since its integrated into the people hub and there isn't an app for that, I didn't think he's be interested.

Sent from my non mindless sheep iphone Samsung Focus using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss