CDMA users, don't despair

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Given that I work at a Sprint indirect, I hope the carrier gets a at least one great Windows Phone. The Arrive is ridiculously overpriced at $199. The LG Marque is a very svelte Android handset that would be great with Windows Phone. Hopefully we get something like it as well as something with a bigger screen. I want my demo phone to be a Windows Phone but the Arrive is too bulky for my tastes. And given the masses that bought the Evo and are complaining about battery life, I'd love to offer them something better.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You know you posted that from a samsung focus on ATT ?

I would like to see a Samsung on Sprint

I think a Sprint Indirect is an electronic store that sells multiple wireless devices. One of the brands they carry is Sprint, so they are an authorized Sprint seller.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I posted it from an ATT device. I've just started, and I've yet to get my Sprint line active. Frankly, I'll be keeping my ATT line as long as they have superior Windows Phones, perhaps longer as I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on my account.

And palandri is correct; an indirect is a third party company that sells service for other companies. The company I work for only sells Sprint device.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree. That's why I just bought a used one off Ebay for 200.00. It is literally in like new condition and works great. When I know a better phone is coming, I will put it on Ebay and break even.

I certainly wouldn't commit to two years with the trophy. It's good but not that good.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully they're something good. We don't need any more minimum spec phones.

even tho that one person just said that his trophy outperforms the iPhone 4 u still have to complain about specs?

I'd be happy if an HTC radar equivalent with beats audio or the HTC bresson went to sprint

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I agree. That's why I just bought a used one off Ebay for 200.00. It is literally in like new condition and works great. When I know a better phone is coming, I will put it on Ebay and break even.

Smart move! Ebay and Amazon are good place to look for phones.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
even tho that one person just said that his trophy outperforms the iPhone 4 u still have to complain about specs?
I'm not really sure what the iPhone has to do with this. I never really liked their hardware anyway, the screen is too small for me.

All I was saying is that I hope the newer phones are nicer. Personally I would love to have a bit bigger screen with SAMOLED or at least SLCD. I'm not trying to be a spec hater here. I love my trophy, but I don't see the point of releasing new phones with the same specs as the old ones. Everybody likes something different. Give us some new and interesting choices!

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree, as soon as samsung or Nokia comes up with a WP on Sprint than I will switch back.
My wife and kids are using the arrive but its to small for me and I dont want a keyboard.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
First off, I am glad we have more choices coming soon. Both the Verizon Trophy and the HTC Arrive on Sprint are slow and underpowered choices for Windows Phones. I can't wait until we get HTC Titan and Nokia phones. Nokia's new designs like the N9 and Searay look really solid.

I certainly wouldn't commit to two years with the trophy. It's good but not that good.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

I only upgraded to the HTC Arrive so I can get a new phone. Was using a BlackBerry Curve 8330. Next year I'll use my dad's early upgrade since he never uses his upgrades anyway to get a Nokia phone or Sprints HTC Titan.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
First off, I am glad we have more choices coming soon. Both the Verizon Trophy and the HTC Arrive on Sprint are slow and underpowered choices for Windows Phones. I can't wait until we get HTC Titan and Nokia phones. Nokia's new designs like the N9 and Searay look really solid.

I know the trophy isn't the top WP7, but if it is slow and underpowered compared to the AT&T offerings consider me impressed. It's pretty snappy and smooth to me. I think it is faster than all of Verizon's android phones.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I know that if you just compare WP7 specs against Android specs, the WP7 phones seem to be lacking. But the WP7 phones just seem to work more efficiently. My wife's Trophy is smooth and quick with no lag or delays and the battery life is much better than her old Android HTC Incredible.

The only odd issue I've discovered is in storage. I have an old BlackBerry and have a few music playlists and podcasts that I keep on my phone. When I changed to the Trophy briefly, the same files took up much more space on the Trophy than they did on the BlackBerry. And given that the storage space isn't expandable on the Trophy, this is annoying. I am hopeful the next generation of WP7 phones have either expandable storage (VERY doubtful) or offer 32GB versions. Fingers crossed!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
several of the 2nd gen phones have nand memory which is faster than sd card memory sppeds and ven though are usinmg 8 GN or 16 GB sizes the fact that they are using it means that have the abaility to use 32gb or 62 GB NAND memory and so the future looks good foir larger storage memory capacity.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
several of the 2nd gen phones have nand memory which is faster than sd card memory sppeds and ven though are usinmg 8 GN or 16 GB sizes the fact that they are using it means that have the abaility to use 32gb or 62 GB NAND memory and so the future looks good foir larger storage memory capacity.

Except that the current phones have the ability to use 32GB microSD cards now but none offer it. There are links on how to change out your 8 or 16GB microSD card for a 32GB cards on here, although it will void your warranty. Right now, I think the problem is that the OEMs and/or the carriers don't see enough demand to offer different storage levels ala the iPhone. I'm not encouraged.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...Right now, I think the problem is that the OEMs and/or the carriers don't see enough demand to offer different storage levels ala the iPhone. I'm not encouraged.

I think you're right. I could get by with 2GB of storage. i don't have that many songs or pictures to store.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay- so I am watching for the CDMA LG device, which I will call the Fantasy, to see where it goes. I am down to Verizon or staying on AT&T when our contract is up. We have had a standing problem on AT&T which I will not bore everyone with. We intend to give them one last shot to work it out. I would love for them to do it: I have my Wife sold on WP and the Titan or Focus S will get our business. If not, it is off to Verizon where I cannot live with the Trophy only due to my preference for a 4.3" or bigger screen for an all touch screen slab. Basically, I will grab a Droid 3 on the cheap and wait for Verizon to come out with a WP I like and buy it off contract. I would prefer for the Fantasy to show up and settle it early for me. I like LG as a match for WP- without worrying about a UI skin like is needed to compete on Android, they will only need good hardware. I think that will solve some of their issues with the buggy performance on some of their offerings. (Although I really, really liked the Thrill.) They so need a hit and CDMA needs WP support. It is a good fit.

Sprint seems determined to just dump WP like it is WeBOS and destined to flop. Verizon's CEO had good words to say about WP, even predicting it will surpass RIM for the #3 OS. They also filed a support document against Apple's attempt to ban Samsung, showing they are not married to the iPhone. With over 100 million customers, Verizon is the more important of the two CDMA carriers to get a device on. (No offense, Sprint users.)That is why I feel Big Red has the better shot at picking up some good Microsoft offerings.

Thoughts?

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I know the trophy isn't the top WP7, but if it is slow and underpowered compared to the AT&T offerings consider me impressed. It's pretty snappy and smooth to me. I think it is faster than all of Verizon's android phones.

Let me expand a little bit. The HTC Arrive works great. It's faster then the EVO and it's able to do anything you'd want to do with a phone. However, it has the same spec sheet as the HTC EVO 4G which came out last year. The same processor (OSD8650) clocked at which uses more energy and is slower then newer Snapdragons clocked at the same speed but newer. The newer phones have MSN8255T which is smaller, faster and uses less energy. Which is all very good.

And I don't like my wives Photon 4G running Android running faster then my phone. Her phone is just a better phone. If Windows was on that hardware, things would be different.

I am not nec asking for dual core technology, I just want something that was released this year. And next year when I upgrade I want a phone with a processor released NEXT YEAR. Microsoft needs to keep up with that because newer processors are often faster and better.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The HTC Arrive works great.

But being CDMA only was the huge failure of this phone. Sprint really must not understand their customers if theier only WP does not have global roaming. This is why I have no cell phone at all, as my Blackberry completely failed. I plan on cancelling my plan next week and being phoneless until well into next year when AT&T might get a new device. Just been a really bad situation for Sprint users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss