CDMA users, don't despair

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I am going to give WP7 until Dec. 1st. to come out with a Sprint phone with these specs:

1-4.3 inch screen or bigger
2-FFC
3-32gb or more storage

I guess I would take minimum 4inch screen but don't want to. I really want a WP7 phone(Zune and Xbox user) but I'm tired of waiting for them. My dream phone is a galaxy 2 WP7 but i doubt we will see that. If Sprint doesnt deliver by then I will probably switch carriers.
I dont understand how they release the titan with 16gb memory? That is a failure to me...I have about 20 gb music and i need room for more. If the titan had 32 or 64 gb memory that would probably be my phone.

xmind

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, man, someone better announce something soon for Verizon and it better be a "flagship" type device....because man it will be hard to keep waiting around with the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Motorola Razr just being announced today. Those are looking pretty appealing given the only option I have right now is the Trophy and not even a tidbit of info to string my hope along for a new Verizon WP7 phone. BTW, went into the Verizon store again yesterday to play with the Trophy and guess which is the only phone in the entire store that doesn't have the data provisioning setup correctly? Yeah, the Trophy, same story as it was 2 months ago. Verizon sure seems to be trying to keep people off of WP7.....<sigh> /end rant

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Let me expand a little bit. The HTC Arrive works great. It's faster then the EVO and it's able to do anything you'd want to do with a phone. However, it has the same spec sheet as the HTC EVO 4G which came out last year. The same processor (OSD8650) clocked at which uses more energy and is slower then newer Snapdragons clocked at the same speed but newer. The newer phones have MSN8255T which is smaller, faster and uses less energy. Which is all very good.

And I don't like my wives Photon 4G running Android running faster then my phone. Her phone is just a better phone. If Windows was on that hardware, things would be different.

I am not nec asking for dual core technology, I just want something that was released this year. And next year when I upgrade I want a phone with a processor released NEXT YEAR. Microsoft needs to keep up with that because newer processors are often faster and better.

I see the specs on some of these phones and I'm definitely jealous. I'm particularly envious of the iPhone 4S.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
16GB is plenty for me, especially if it keeps costs down.

16GB WOULD be fine for me too, if they gave you 16GB of usable space. The reviews of the Titan are showing 12.6GB of usable space on its 16GB card. That's more than 20% of the card is full right out of the box! And I would assume that the OS uses the same amount of space on all WP7 phones, regardless of storage capacity, meaning a lower tier phone with only an 8GB card is really only giving you around 4.6GB of space! That is just inexcusable if you don't allow for expandable memory.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
16GB WOULD be fine for me too, if they gave you 16GB of usable space. The reviews of the Titan are showing 12.6GB of usable space on its 16GB card. That's more than 20% of the card is full right out of the box! And I would assume that the OS uses the same amount of space on all WP7 phones, regardless of storage capacity, meaning a lower tier phone with only an 8GB card is really only giving you around 4.6GB of space! That is just inexcusable if you don't allow for expandable memory.

Zune is showing that I have 2.32GB of storage that I can't touch on my Samsung Focus. That leaves me with 5.68, unless I want to expand it (which I probably won't, since I'm cheap and a scaredy cat). However, I believe that it has ample space. I just sync one huge playlist at a time over to the phone and it usually takes one and quarter gigs (right now, music is only taking 1.23GB). Your phone isn't a place to back up your music, but rather a place to have your music on the go.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Zune is showing that I have 2.32GB of storage that I can't touch on my Samsung Focus. That leaves me with 5.68, unless I want to expand it (which I probably won't, since I'm cheap and a scaredy cat). However, I believe that it has ample space. I just sync one huge playlist at a time over to the phone and it usually takes one and quarter gigs (right now, music is only taking 1.23GB). Your phone isn't a place to back up your music, but rather a place to have your music on the go.

I have just one large-ish playlist and podcasts. It's the updating of the podcasts that take up space. I am using my phone as a place to have podcasts "on the go" and not as a place to backup my music or podcasts.

And 2.32 out of 8 GB that are unusable results in a 29% decrease in usable storage from what is advertised. That's ridiculous! Just be glad you have the only WP7 phone that IS expandable and, from what I've read, likely to be the last one for the foreseeable future.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
CDMA change

Is it that hard to change a phone from GSM to CDMA? Isn't it just a matter of switching some parts? help me out with this...

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
There are different versions of the Snapdragon chips. Some have CDMA modems, others only have GSM.

Is it that hard to change a phone from GSM to CDMA? Isn't it just a matter of switching some parts? help me out with this...

Not only do you change the hardware as in radios and antennaes, but also have to rewrite the firmware in the phone because of the changes.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

I believe that the titan is using nand memory which is like a silicon slab of flash memory faster than sdcard memory.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Ok, I am going to give WP7 until Dec. 1st. to come out with a Sprint phone with these specs:

1-4.3 inch screen or bigger
2-FFC
3-32gb or more storage

I guess I would take minimum 4inch screen but don't want to. I really want a WP7 phone(Zune and Xbox user) but I'm tired of waiting for them. My dream phone is a galaxy 2 WP7 but i doubt we will see that. If Sprint doesnt deliver by then I will probably switch carriers.
I dont understand how they release the titan with 16gb memory? That is a failure to me...I have about 20 gb music and i need room for more. If the titan had 32 or 64 gb memory that would probably be my phone.

sprint hasn'ty given any indication as yet about 2nd gen wp7 phones Its not likely to happen by ecember 1 or even 01 01 2012

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I believe that the titan is using nand memory which is like a silicon slab of flash memory faster than sdcard memory.

That's fine. But for me it's not an issue of speed, it's a matter of available storage space and the Titan using NAND gives me a 21% hit to the available and advertized storage space with no option to expand it via external microSD card or by buying an upgraded 32GB model.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have just one large-ish playlist and podcasts. It's the updating of the podcasts that take up space. I am using my phone as a place to have podcasts "on the go" and not as a place to backup my music or podcasts.

And 2.32 out of 8 GB that are unusable results in a 29% decrease in usable storage from what is advertised. That's ridiculous! Just be glad you have the only WP7 phone that IS expandable and, from what I've read, likely to be the last one for the foreseeable future.

I can understand your point here. I'm starting to think that these past few years have created a lose/lose situation for smartphone users. "We could use our phone for streaming music, but wait, our carriers have ditched unlimited data. Well then, let's just put the music on our phones. Oh wait, they decided to reduce the amount of memory in the phone." What can you do?

Maybe there will be a break in the clouds soon. One can always have hope, right? :)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I can understand your point here. I'm starting to think that these past few years have created a lose/lose situation for smartphone users. "We could use our phone for streaming music, but wait, our carriers have ditched unlimited data. Well then, let's just put the music on our phones. Oh wait, they decided to reduce the amount of memory in the phone." What can you do?

Maybe there will be a break in the clouds soon. One can always have hope, right? :)

+1 I agree. Why have all these applications that use data. We should all start buying dumb phones, and let the carriers figure it out on their own.

silentbob343

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Good news. I'm on Verizon and have considered purchasing the Trophy off contract. I will wait for Nokia world, but I may have to go with the Trophy if we don't get some sort of time frame on 2nd gen WP7 handsets.

The Trophy may be outdated, but it blows away my OG Droid.

That Samsung article is from Sept 8th and the LG passed the FCC this month so hopefully we will hear something soon.

Last edited:

happynoodleboy

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I just bought an HTC Trophy off eBay for $200 off contract. They are $149 on contract still on Verizon so I figured I would spend the extra and still be able to save my upgrade for when then better phone come out. I should be getting it within the next week so I am pretty excited. Any good apps that any can recommend? This is my first windows phone as I am currently using a palm pre plus

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I just bought an HTC Trophy off eBay for $200 off contract. They are $149 on contract still on Verizon so I figured I would spend the extra and still be able to save my upgrade for when then better phone come out. I should be getting it within the next week so I am pretty excited. Any good apps that any can recommend? This is my first windows phone as I am currently using a palm pre plus

Here's what people rated as their top 10: http://forums.windowscentral.com/marketplace-apps/176887.htm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo