[Rumor] AT&T Focus S

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I went in to my local AT&T store on lunch today and had a brief conversation with the manager here is how the conversation went.

Me "When will you be getting the Focus S in stores"

Manager "I don't know"

Me "That's to bad I am really looking forward to getting away from Sprint and I think the Focus S will make that happen."

Manager "All I can say is this. When we get something new in on Friday or Saturday we have a meeting to discuss it on Sunday. We can't talk about it with customers until it is on the floor ready for sale on Monday"

Me "I guess I will see you Monday then"

Manager "I'll see you Monday"

Just a rumor guys but if it happened you heard it here first

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I feel like AT&T and Microsoft would market this quite a ways before it was released. I still don't think we will see this phone until 2012.

Just look at the HTC devices... been going crazy with them for weeks and not even close to release.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
It would coincide with the timeline of the FCC filing. However, you may or may not be reading too much into this. He may not know what devices are coming, just the fact that they arrive on Friday or Saturday. It just seems odd that they would release a high-end device without any kind of formal announcement showing the looks and the specs of the phone. So I WANT to believe your story, but there's just so much doubt there that I am skeptical. Unless Samsung comes out this week and shows the device. I do, however, believe that the Titan could very well be released next week because it did have a formal announcement (not just an AT&T statement).

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it, if you told him you'd see him Monday, he's merely saying he'll see you when you come in. Of course, we can't hear the intonation in his voice through text, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
With all the news that has hit us in the last 24 hours what do you guys say now? Am I reading too much in to this or will we see the Focus S in AT&T stores on Monday?

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
With all the news that has hit us in the last 24 hours what do you guys say now? Am I reading too much in to this or will we see the Focus S in AT&T stores on Monday?

Still doubt Monday. I just cannot believe they'd release something like the Focus S without announcing a release date of any kind. I would expect at least a week or two notice. But, first week of November? Maybe, if they announce something soon.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

It is possible, some phones have come to the market without a specific launch date before. I would say if not this next week then the first week in November. Engadget did note that the pictures of the Titan didn't show the prototype they handled, which means that what you see there is indeed what is going to be shipped.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry off topic post but its my thread. ;)

Does anyone think Microsoft might be planning a multi phone launch covering many carriers. Something like the Mango Roll out maybe?

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone think Microsoft might be planning a multi phone launch covering many carriers. Something like the Mango Roll out maybe?

Well, it is possible they are trying to, but knowing how bad US carriers are, I'd think that would be near impossible. No one like cooperating.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

I don't think so, I think the timing is wrong, but I could be wrong. Sprint is infatuated with the iPhone. Verizon is infatuated with the Droid Bionic and LTE. T-Mobile is worried about trying to increase their subscribers with low rates.

I still think you stop by the store on Monday. Maybe they won't have the phone, but they may have more details for you.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
How are US carriers bad?

In alot of ways. They want to have total control over everything and refuse to work together on standardization etc...

Also, I have had phones in various countries in the world, and carriers don't charge hardly anything for international roaming. Price gouging for international roaming is strictly an American thing.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
How are US carriers bad?

In alot of ways. They want to have total control over everything and refuse to work together on standardization etc...

Also, I have had phones in various countries in the world, and carriers don't charge hardly anything for international roaming. Price gouging for international roaming is strictly an American thing.

I have to agree with Dusteater. My wife and I go to France. Things are lot different in Europe. They have more consumer protection regulations. If you buy a phone outright, rates are much cheaper. They are all GSM so your phone will work on any network by just changing SIM cards. They wouldn't allow Apple to restrict the iPhone to one carrier, because it made for unfair competition. When I go to France I just stop by an Orange or SFR store and get a couple of pay as you go SIM cards. It saves us a bundle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs