10-24-2011 12:15 PM
48 12
tools
    Yes from statistics alone its clear that having access to 500,000 apps, many redundant or limited free versions of full paid apps, to put into a static grid on your home screens is what users really want. If apple made a 4" version of the same resolution, how many people do you think would pick it?
    10-20-2011 04:56 PM
    Two flavors for you guys: glossy white and matte black. As an added bonus, the replaceable backplate will come in a multitude of colors. Other than that, this phone is headed for T-Mobile.

But it is not this Nokia that you guys should be interested in...

Michael.
    cckgz4 and Peter McCain like this.
    10-20-2011 06:31 PM
    At this point im ready for a phone that gets really good reception with a battery that lasts longer than my trophy. Those are the two issues I have with my phone and they are becoming more annoying each day.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express
    10-20-2011 07:01 PM
    That phone is so ugly, it makes the N9 ugly by association.
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
    10-20-2011 07:28 PM
    4 million sold in one weekend would beg to disagree. Screen size isnt everything to everyone, that much is clear from the millions of iphone users.
    That's because you didn't take into account this whole cultural idea that you have to buy an iphone to be "cool". I can show you the same thing when it comes to macbooks. I walk into my class everyday and there's a room filled with them with only one pc in the bunch. People do things to blend in with everyone else. But, if you look at the polling Engadget did it showed a good percentage of people that didn't want it because they were hoping for a larger screen. Also, sheep will be sheep no matter what you do. So my conclusion is that yes they did sell a record number of iphones but I am moreso thinking it was because it was a NEW iphone than the fact that it was better. Can you play that same game with WP7? Eh, it's good to have choice but when all of your phones are below 4 inches, then you can forget about it. Why else do you think people are going crazy over the HTC Titan? I rest my case.

Poll: Will you be getting an iPhone 4S? -- Engadget
    willied likes this.
    10-20-2011 09:25 PM
    That's because you didn't take into account this whole cultural idea that you have to buy an iphone to be "cool". I can show you the same thing when it comes to macbooks. I walk into my class everyday and there's a room filled with them with only one pc in the bunch. People do things to blend in with everyone else. But, if you look at the polling Engadget did it showed a good percentage of people that didn't want it because they were hoping for a larger screen. Also, sheep will be sheep no matter what you do. So my conclusion is that yes they did sell a record number of iphones but I am moreso thinking it was because it was a NEW iphone than the fact that it was better. Can you play that same game with WP7? Eh, it's good to have choice but when all of your phones are below 4 inches, then you can forget about it. Why else do you think people are going crazy over the HTC Titan? I rest my case.

Poll: Will you be getting an iPhone 4S? -- Engadget
    Yes, the iphone has cult status and will sell regardless. However screen size alone wont make a competitor attractive, as many people that seem to love the Titan for its screen as it seems there are just as many who say its too big, and there are those again who dont care about the size but swear by the SAMOLED of the Samsung's and will only consider them.

If the case is that only hardware matters then WP7 might as well stay home because no WP7 device can compete on pure hardware specs with the iphone or android phones. However the point to be considered about the iphone's success is that despite the screen size it is still desirable, and apart from people like us on sites like this 99% of iphone users are perfectly happy and oblivious to the technical minutae of their device. They just enjoy it because it looks good and works well.

For me, Nokia will bring the design part to the table, regardless of screen size and that will appeal to a large number of people. For those seeking to have the most impressive looking device have the choice of htc or samsung but when the total package is compared I think Nokia will win out.

PS: that poll means nothing, I voted and have never had any intention of getting an iphone! :) Cant trust such things which can so easily be skewed.
    10-20-2011 11:11 PM
    I must say, the 3.5" screen is sharper and white is whiter than on a Samsung Focus. And pics taken with the camera are more natural in color than on a Samsung Focus.

Pretty dern cool.

Michael.
    10-20-2011 11:29 PM
    Eh. Still want a 800 (sea ray)
    10-20-2011 11:30 PM
    Yes, the iphone has cult status and will sell regardless. However screen size alone wont make a competitor attractive, as many people that seem to love the Titan for its screen as it seems there are just as many who say its too big, and there are those again who dont care about the size but swear by the SAMOLED of the Samsung's and will only consider them.

If the case is that only hardware matters then WP7 might as well stay home because no WP7 device can compete on pure hardware specs with the iphone or android phones. However the point to be considered about the iphone's success is that despite the screen size it is still desirable, and apart from people like us on sites like this 99% of iphone users are perfectly happy and oblivious to the technical minutae of their device. They just enjoy it because it looks good and works well.

For me, Nokia will bring the design part to the table, regardless of screen size and that will appeal to a large number of people. For those seeking to have the most impressive looking device have the choice of htc or samsung but when the total package is compared I think Nokia will win out.

PS: that poll means nothing, I voted and have never had any intention of getting an iphone! :) Cant trust such things which can so easily be skewed.

I said there is a role for differentiation, but if Nokia ONLY offers screen sizes 4 inches and under I think you are going to lose some sales even with some "design" aspects. The reason the Focus S and Titan are both desirable is that they have totally different screen technologies. But, let's mention the Nokia Sea Ray that has a 3.7 inch supposedly AMOLED screen. But, even though it has some design aspect to it, there needs to be something else to WOW people. I think that screen size is an important part to decision making nowadays. Here I have found some more statistics MORE directly related:

What is the perfect smartphone display size for you? (poll results)

In this poll 40% compared to 31% prefer a 4-4.3 inch screen. And if you were to combine the percentages for 4-4.3 inch and over 4.3 inch (since I did mention anything bigger than 4 inches) it would be 65% of those that were polled.

Screen Size: Is Bigger Better? [POLL]

Although this is from an android website, it still shows that an overwhelming majority prefer over 4 inches.

Poll: What's the optimal smartphone screen size? | MobileSyrup.com

Another poll showing an overwhelming majority support over 4 inch screen sizes.

I don't want to keep going on because I do recognize your point that it also has to deal with design and I have added the WOW factor. But, my point was that if your entire lineup of phones offers under 4 inch screen size I would tend to think you wouldn't get as many sales than if you offered phones across the spectrum. And so far, the only leaks I have seen from Nokia are these under 4 inch screen phones. I have heard they are preparing this other phone for early next year with a supposed 4.3 inch screen, so I will have to wait for that. I am just going off of right here right now.
    10-20-2011 11:35 PM
    No me gusta, un telephono feo. Still Focus S until the next contestant comes down the runway.
    Winterfang likes this.
    10-21-2011 12:28 AM
    i dont want to wait for what nokia has next year! I want my new and shiny, big and cool WP7.5 this year!! please nokia make it happen!!

My other option would be the focus S but it's too plasticky and rectangular, looks like any other android. The screen should be great though.
    10-21-2011 12:49 AM
    And judging the clearer picture posted on the homepage, it looks like one of their old low end symbian devices. I'll decline.

But Nokia BETTER give me my FFC on the 800 LOL
    10-21-2011 01:09 AM
    It really irritates me that iPhone users have NO open mind to consider another OS.
    baseballbert likes this.
    10-21-2011 01:30 AM
    If you want to see whether a phone will work on your carrier, simply check the bands your carrier uses and the bands that the phone supports.
    10-21-2011 02:37 AM
    Sabre looks boring, but we already knew that it would be the cheapest of the 3 rumored devices.

I just REALLY hope the Ace is real. Nokia would be crazy to announce only mid-range phones. The market is wide open for a true Windows superphone.
    10-21-2011 10:36 AM
    Why would they. If they have the phone that works for them and they enjoy using it, why go some where else? Doesn't make sense. You really shouldn't worry about what phone someone else is using. Kinda dumb.
    It really irritates me that iPhone users have NO open mind to consider another OS.
    Believe it or not. Everyone doesn't like the WP7 OS. Shocking I know, but it's true.
    10-21-2011 10:47 AM
    Sabre looks boring, but we already knew that it would be the cheapest of the 3 rumored devices.

I just REALLY hope the Ace is real. Nokia would be crazy to announce only mid-range phones. The market is wide open for a true Windows superphone.
    I hope so to, next weds should be a big day.
    10-21-2011 11:54 AM
    I'm just going to wait for the Nokia with a 4" screen. My Focus is good enough for now.
    10-21-2011 03:45 PM
    Open mind means you should be openminded to ppl who only like the apple and ios.
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
    10-21-2011 04:14 PM
    Hey, if you eat at ihop everyday, why would you care about Denny's?
    Judge_Daniel likes this.
    10-21-2011 04:55 PM
    Well, here's to hoping that Nokia takes the e7, puts the N8 Camera in and all the other N8 parts it cut out, then makes the battery easily user-swappable.

Nifty new cpus and all would be great too, but really I just want an e7 running WP7.5 with an N8 camera and user-swappable batteries.
    10-22-2011 12:29 PM
    Well, here's to hoping that Nokia takes the e7, puts the N8 Camera in and all the other N8 parts it cut out, then makes the battery easily user-swappable.

Nifty new cpus and all would be great too, but really I just want an e7 running WP7.5 with an N8 camera and user-swappable batteries.
    That would be nice.
    10-22-2011 12:32 PM

Aye! My Nokia E7 Photos | The Mobile Fanatics
    10-24-2011 12:15 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD