More Awesome Nokia hardware

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
imm 100% guranty that we we gona start seeing MORE and MORE phones every year.

Lees: "A few things: The Xbox will be updated in November. The UI (user interface) is very similar (to Windows Phone 7.5 and Windows 8) with the tiles and panoramas. Windows 8 is going to help.In terms of just the phone, having the choice of hardware and the quality of the experience are going to be accelerants. Over the next 12, 18, 24 months, I can see a lot of stars lining up."

i dont know about you but it sounds like they are gona be making more and more phones to me :)

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The Nokia phones I have seen so far have not impressed me at all. I mean, one of the things that people disliked about the iphone 4S was the same 3.5 inch screen. So any screen size below 4 inches is not going to take to the market very well imo. Also, in this case they make the screen look even smaller by having alot of plastic surrounding it. We need some edge to edge screens on phones so that way they appear bigger than they are.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The Nokia phones I have seen so far have not impressed me at all. I mean, one of the things that people disliked about the iphone 4S was the same 3.5 inch screen. So any screen size below 4 inches is not going to take to the market very well imo. Also, in this case they make the screen look even smaller by having alot of plastic surrounding it. We need some edge to edge screens on phones so that way they appear bigger than they are.

4 million sold in one weekend would beg to disagree. Screen size isnt everything to everyone, that much is clear from the millions of iphone users.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes from statistics alone its clear that having access to 500,000 apps, many redundant or limited free versions of full paid apps, to put into a static grid on your home screens is what users really want. If apple made a 4" version of the same resolution, how many people do you think would pick it?

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Two flavors for you guys: glossy white and matte black. As an added bonus, the replaceable backplate will come in a multitude of colors. Other than that, this phone is headed for T-Mobile.

But it is not this Nokia that you guys should be interested in...

Michael.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
At this point im ready for a phone that gets really good reception with a battery that lasts longer than my trophy. Those are the two issues I have with my phone and they are becoming more annoying each day.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
4 million sold in one weekend would beg to disagree. Screen size isnt everything to everyone, that much is clear from the millions of iphone users.

That's because you didn't take into account this whole cultural idea that you have to buy an iphone to be "cool". I can show you the same thing when it comes to macbooks. I walk into my class everyday and there's a room filled with them with only one pc in the bunch. People do things to blend in with everyone else. But, if you look at the polling Engadget did it showed a good percentage of people that didn't want it because they were hoping for a larger screen. Also, sheep will be sheep no matter what you do. So my conclusion is that yes they did sell a record number of iphones but I am moreso thinking it was because it was a NEW iphone than the fact that it was better. Can you play that same game with WP7? Eh, it's good to have choice but when all of your phones are below 4 inches, then you can forget about it. Why else do you think people are going crazy over the HTC Titan? I rest my case.

Poll: Will you be getting an iPhone 4S? -- Engadget

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That's because you didn't take into account this whole cultural idea that you have to buy an iphone to be "cool". I can show you the same thing when it comes to macbooks. I walk into my class everyday and there's a room filled with them with only one pc in the bunch. People do things to blend in with everyone else. But, if you look at the polling Engadget did it showed a good percentage of people that didn't want it because they were hoping for a larger screen. Also, sheep will be sheep no matter what you do. So my conclusion is that yes they did sell a record number of iphones but I am moreso thinking it was because it was a NEW iphone than the fact that it was better. Can you play that same game with WP7? Eh, it's good to have choice but when all of your phones are below 4 inches, then you can forget about it. Why else do you think people are going crazy over the HTC Titan? I rest my case.

Poll: Will you be getting an iPhone 4S? -- Engadget

Yes, the iphone has cult status and will sell regardless. However screen size alone wont make a competitor attractive, as many people that seem to love the Titan for its screen as it seems there are just as many who say its too big, and there are those again who dont care about the size but swear by the SAMOLED of the Samsung's and will only consider them.

If the case is that only hardware matters then WP7 might as well stay home because no WP7 device can compete on pure hardware specs with the iphone or android phones. However the point to be considered about the iphone's success is that despite the screen size it is still desirable, and apart from people like us on sites like this 99% of iphone users are perfectly happy and oblivious to the technical minutae of their device. They just enjoy it because it looks good and works well.

For me, Nokia will bring the design part to the table, regardless of screen size and that will appeal to a large number of people. For those seeking to have the most impressive looking device have the choice of htc or samsung but when the total package is compared I think Nokia will win out.

PS: that poll means nothing, I voted and have never had any intention of getting an iphone! :) Cant trust such things which can so easily be skewed.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I must say, the 3.5" screen is sharper and white is whiter than on a Samsung Focus. And pics taken with the camera are more natural in color than on a Samsung Focus.

Pretty dern cool.

Michael.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the iphone has cult status and will sell regardless. However screen size alone wont make a competitor attractive, as many people that seem to love the Titan for its screen as it seems there are just as many who say its too big, and there are those again who dont care about the size but swear by the SAMOLED of the Samsung's and will only consider them.

If the case is that only hardware matters then WP7 might as well stay home because no WP7 device can compete on pure hardware specs with the iphone or android phones. However the point to be considered about the iphone's success is that despite the screen size it is still desirable, and apart from people like us on sites like this 99% of iphone users are perfectly happy and oblivious to the technical minutae of their device. They just enjoy it because it looks good and works well.

For me, Nokia will bring the design part to the table, regardless of screen size and that will appeal to a large number of people. For those seeking to have the most impressive looking device have the choice of htc or samsung but when the total package is compared I think Nokia will win out.

PS: that poll means nothing, I voted and have never had any intention of getting an iphone! :) Cant trust such things which can so easily be skewed.

I said there is a role for differentiation, but if Nokia ONLY offers screen sizes 4 inches and under I think you are going to lose some sales even with some "design" aspects. The reason the Focus S and Titan are both desirable is that they have totally different screen technologies. But, let's mention the Nokia Sea Ray that has a 3.7 inch supposedly AMOLED screen. But, even though it has some design aspect to it, there needs to be something else to WOW people. I think that screen size is an important part to decision making nowadays. Here I have found some more statistics MORE directly related:

What is the perfect smartphone display size for you? (poll results)

In this poll 40% compared to 31% prefer a 4-4.3 inch screen. And if you were to combine the percentages for 4-4.3 inch and over 4.3 inch (since I did mention anything bigger than 4 inches) it would be 65% of those that were polled.

Screen Size: Is Bigger Better? [POLL]

Although this is from an android website, it still shows that an overwhelming majority prefer over 4 inches.

Poll: What's the optimal smartphone screen size? | MobileSyrup.com

Another poll showing an overwhelming majority support over 4 inch screen sizes.

I don't want to keep going on because I do recognize your point that it also has to deal with design and I have added the WOW factor. But, my point was that if your entire lineup of phones offers under 4 inch screen size I would tend to think you wouldn't get as many sales than if you offered phones across the spectrum. And so far, the only leaks I have seen from Nokia are these under 4 inch screen phones. I have heard they are preparing this other phone for early next year with a supposed 4.3 inch screen, so I will have to wait for that. I am just going off of right here right now.

Peter McCain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
i dont want to wait for what nokia has next year! I want my new and shiny, big and cool WP7.5 this year!! please nokia make it happen!!

My other option would be the focus S but it's too plasticky and rectangular, looks like any other android. The screen should be great though.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
And judging the clearer picture posted on the homepage, it looks like one of their old low end symbian devices. I'll decline.

But Nokia BETTER give me my FFC on the 800 LOL

L

lumic

If you want to see whether a phone will work on your carrier, simply check the bands your carrier uses and the bands that the phone supports.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sabre looks boring, but we already knew that it would be the cheapest of the 3 rumored devices.

I just REALLY hope the Ace is real. Nokia would be crazy to announce only mid-range phones. The market is wide open for a true Windows superphone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077