What Will you Do if No Verizon/Sprint WP7 is Announced at Nokia World?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Looks like it is true. No Nokia phones in the US until early 2012. Le sigh. Guess I'll be running a month-to-month contract on my Focus until then, since I love the apps that come with the Nokia phones.

There was a at least one VZN employee at Nokia world! That a tiny bit of hope!

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Carrier First - Then the phone

This debate reminds of the first two iPhones and ATT. Everyone loved their iPhone except they couldn't access the internet or make phone calls. It really sucks that Verizon doesn't seem all that interested in WP7. But until now, it seemed like everyone else (TMo, ATT and Sprint) had better Android choices. Verizon is about to get THREE top notch Android devices (HTC Rezound, Galaxy Nexus and Moto RAZR) and I don't think very many people are holding their breath for a new WP7 device. It's hard to see how Microsoft is going to build market share with their current line up of Phones. While I'll even concede that WP7 doesn't need dual core the other specs of even the 2nd gen WP7 (Radar, Titan, Focus S and Focus Flash) are underwhelming - the biggest one to me is the low memory (16 GB max with non expandable phone - I don't even have a big music collection and 32 GB is my min). The other ones are sticking to low res display - you really think people are going to go for a Titan vs. Galaxy Nexus (4.65" HD - 1280x720) - even the reviewers who liked it said 800x480 doesn't look all that great at 4.7". The Focus S at 4.3" versus the RAZR at qHD (960x540 Super Amoled Advanced). And Lumia 800 (when/if it makes it here - early 2012 could be some time late in the first half). Try holding that up to iPhone 4S retina display and the Apple ecosystem. While I know iOS is not exciting for WP7 or Android fan boys I have yet to run into a single person that is unhappy with their iPhone - it reminds me of IBM in the 80s - your can't go wrong with IBM. Apple has great customer loyalty. Microsoft and its partners need to up the marketing push or they are going to remain in the slow lane at 1%. While I don't own a WP7 (and probably won't because I don't think Verizon is going to get a decent one in time to make a difference) I am a Microsoft guy all the way back to mid 80's (MS-DOS 2.0). I would really like to see WP7 succeed - it will make 'em all better.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
wow , when Iphone dint come to bell when it first came out..

i wish allot of people would have said , screw Iphone lol...... like they are to WP.

well a better OS for phewer of us :)

xoted

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
well, i've made up my mind.

i've been browsing this forum for weeks. i'm a bitter ex-webOS user who, after these last few weeks, has hopped on the WP7 bandwagon.

i'll be dumping sprint on Sunday and picking up a focus S on AT&T. Nokia's conference was underwhelming; they'll eventually release some amazing devices for the US, just not now.

My only concern is that this doesn't turn into webOS... I don't want to be stuck on a dead ecosystem for a year and a half. I don't think that'll happen, because Microsoft has a much better marketing, advertising, and road map team than palm ever had. The hardware options are also much better.

Sprint just doesn't have enough variety when it comes to their phone selection... and I'm sick of saving 10$ a month at the expense of phone selection. Their unlimited data plan will eventually become limited when the iPhone boggs down the network, and their issues with clearwire/hesitation to jump on the LTE bandwagon mean they're (as always) going to be playing catchup for the next 3-4 years.

So AT&T here i come... hopefully i'm not making a huge mistake

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
My only concern is that this doesn't turn into webOS... I don't want to be stuck on a dead ecosystem for a year and a half. I don't think that'll happen, because Microsoft has a much better marketing, advertising, and road map team than palm ever had. The hardware options are also much better

Microsoft has deep pockets and, unlike the Kin, they seem dedicated to making WP7 succeed. I wish they were moving faster but I do believe that the steps are being made precisely so that they won't damage the brand by having phones out there that don't seem like a finished product. It is a risk when you are dealing with a smaller OS like WP7 but given MS's backing and the (rumored) future tie in with Win8 and WP8, it looks VERY promising.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has deep pockets and, unlike the Kin, they seem dedicated to making WP7 succeed. I wish they were moving faster but I do believe that the steps are being made precisely so that they won't damage the brand by having phones out there that don't seem like a finished product. It is a risk when you are dealing with a smaller OS like WP7 but given MS's backing and the (rumored) future tie in with Win8 and WP8, it looks VERY promising.

I also remember when MS started making a couple of knockoff programs for PC and I thought, "Why would ANYONE quit using Lotus 1-2-3 or WordPerfect for Microsoft's crappy programs?" If you have deep pockets, patience, and focus, the market will respond. Although I still miss my WordPerfect key combination template for my keyboard. ;)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So I am on AT&T, but my wife and I have had a standing isue with them. Our contract is up on 11/11/11, so I will give them one last chance to take care of it. If they do, we are golden. If not, we go to Verizon. I intend to get a used Droid 3 (one of my favorite devices, Android or WP) until they get a new gen WP. I am not happy with the Trophy. Spent an hour trying to talk myself into enjoying it. I just don't (no offense, Trophy owners).

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
It seems they aren't showing much cdma love when it comes with wp7. I mean the focus s and flash look nice and yet nothing has been announced for verizon. Come on give us a lte wp7.5! Looks like I will be getting the galaxy nexus until verizon gets more wp phones and atleast 1 lte version.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I will switch carriers if a new WP7 isn't out on Sprint within a year.

I love my Arrive and I will even *shudder* go back to AT&T if I have to just to have a WP7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte