Any new phones coming to Sprint?

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
With the latest news and ads from Sprint, I'm wondering if there's anything else coming to Sprint anytime soon? I have the Arrive but I'm up for renewal and have until the end of the year to get a new phone. I've looked online but haven't found much of anything out there showing any new WP7 phones coming to Sprint. Only the other carriers.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If Sprint has anything coming they aren't sharing with me and I have asked. That is why I moved to at&t yesterday.

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
If Sprint has anything coming they aren't sharing with me and I have asked. That is why I moved to at&t yesterday.

whaaaaaaaaaaaa? how can you leave that Arrive? no more physical keyboard for you? or are you hoping for a Nokia with a physical keyboard? or are you indifferent about the keyboard?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
welcome to ATT BigD5 I hope that you like it I have been with Cingular ATTfor a long time and have had no real complaints but I am not in big city like BigD/FW so I havent really had coverage issues ;like people talk about in NYC etc.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That's actually one of the things that keeps me. I have fat fingers so a keyboard is a definite bonus for me. Almost to the point of being a necessity. I have been toying with the idea of going over to the dark side and getting an iPhone for the simple sake of having the newest, latest tech instead of what I usually do by getting the units that have been out there for the past 1-2 years. My Arrive is the first Smartphone/Pda I've owned that was in the early adopter arena. I can't ay that I've got any real complaints about my Arrive or WP7. It was more of a culture shock issue with me, going from Windows Mobile and CE, etc for all these years and having to start from scratch all over again. Heck, I still use my Axim x51v's from time to time. When I finally made the switch to a smartphone it was the TP2 and by then it was already an outdated device and was being phased out about 4 months after I got it. I still might just pass up on the phone upgrade and keep my Arrive. The wife's going to be moving up from her Purple Pre to a 4s but I don't blame her for that. She needs it.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
whaaaaaaaaaaaa? how can you leave that Arrive? no more physical keyboard for you? or are you hoping for a Nokia with a physical keyboard? or are you indifferent about the keyboard?

its going to be tough without the qwerty but I have to do it I have to admit to myself I am no longer in my 20s I just can't read that small screen anymore. I'm tired of having to take my glasses off to read the screen. The good news for me is that windows phone has the best software keyboard around.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
its going to be tough without the qwerty but I have to do it I have to admit to myself I am no longer in my 20s I just can't read that small screen anymore. I'm tired of having to take my glasses off to read the screen. The good news for me is that windows phone has the best software keyboard around.

Hear ya there! Small screen was the reason I ditched my two month old Palm Pre 2 for the Trophy. Never liked phones that aren't hand friendly, but my eyes wouldn't mind a 4.3 inch screen some days.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That's kinda my thing too. I miss the large screen on my Axim. It took me a little getting used to on my TP2 but didn't notice it too bad on my Arrive. I've also decided, I really need one of those touch screen stylus' they sell. My fat fingers just aren't good for these small screens. I'll probably need one, no matter what Smartphone I get from now on. I sometimes think these onscreen keyboards are designed for a 13 year old girl. Half the time I can't even get decent results using my pinky. I've tried on my TP2, Arrive, Friends Droid and a couple of iPhone's and my fingers just aren't built for keying on these things.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm stuck in the odd position of working for a Sprint reseller but having AT&T service. It's partially because I've yet to get my demo line for work, partially because the Sprint WP7 phone selection is so paltry. On that note, the fact that the Arrive is still $199 is ridiculous. Price it $79 and it would compare favorably to the LG Optimus, a low end Android slate that's been a big seller (and riddled with ridiculous issues since the latest update). This is where Nokia needs to step in and deliver cheap handsets across networks.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

wellsmanfu

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I really wish we could get something out of Sprint, even just rumors, but something. I have my Arrive and I like it, but it looks like I'll have to get it swapped out again. I keep having signal issues, losing 3G signal. In fact now I also lose my wifi connectivity.

I find myself looking at AT&T alot because they seem to give a crap about WP7, and thats hard to do considering I worked for Sprint for several years and still have a nice discount with them. But if the service is going to continue to suck and my 1 and only WP7 option keeps crapping out on me, then I might just make the jump.

Big D5, what kind of plan did you get? Is it much more than what you were spending before?

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I got the $69 with 450 minutes then added the extra 2G of data haven't see a bill yet but it should be around $110/ month with tax. That's high considering I got more minutes and unlimited data on Sprint. I can tell you the reception is better on AT&T even in the DFW area.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
^ yup, back when I had an Evo 4G, I can confirm Sprint's coverage was absolutely pathetic near DFW airport. You'd think they'd have strong coverage in a major metropolitan area.

Anyway, there are a couple of Windows Phones potentially coming soon to Sprint. One is the updated version of the Samsung Omnia 7, which recently went through FCC certification with CDMA bands. The other is the LG Fantasy, which IIRC is also a CDMA device.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I got the $69 with 450 minutes then added the extra 2G of data haven't see a bill yet but it should be around $110/ month with tax. That's high considering I got more minutes and unlimited data on Sprint. I can tell you the reception is better on AT&T even in the DFW area.

I'm also in the DFW area, and I think Sprint reception is great for the most part except for some dead spots that are like black holes. I know AT&T is bad in large cities like New York and Chicago, but DFW is more spread out and Dallas is a different kind of city.

If the Focus S is 4G and I can get a 32GB version, that's a no brainer for me no matter how high the AT&T bills are. I really like my Arrive, but I want a phone I can put all my music on, stream content in my car, make video calls, and have a thin, sexy device that makes my iFriends jealous.

My only issue is I like the way Sprint allows me to use my Sprint number as my Google Voice number. Using Google Voice on an AT&T phone will not be as seemless. I will probably stop using GV on AT&T, especially if they activate visual voicemail, but I will miss the ability to mark calls as spam, custom outgoing messages, etc.

SEKKDS

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm an Arrive owner, and I really love my device! It is rock solid, works well, and smooth with Mango.

However....

I've been through the Touch Pro, the Touch Pro2, and now the Arrive. A trend? I've always felt partial with physical keyboards. Hmmm.... lately, not anymore. I think I'd be content with a no-physical keyboard device any day now... provided the screen is a bit bigger than what the Arrive gives you.

Therefore, I am waiting for the next Sprint Windows Phone too! A dream come true would be a 4" or greater, SLCD, Gorilla Glass, front-facing camera, 8MP or greater back camera, uhhh.... etc. etc... big specs etc.... perhaps Samsung?... anyway, yeah, I'd like to see Sprint get one, or two... heck no, make it three! new Windows Phones in their aresenal. Think it will happen, anybody?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Won't happen...Sprint is making too much money off of iSheep and Android compared to Windows Phone; it's just purely business. They just announced that, despite the high number of Android purchases (and soon to be iPhone purchase reports in the next quarter report or w/e), that they're STILL losing money.

Think about it from their perspective: why would they waste the money and effort to purchase a product(s) that they would have to take time to promote, advertise, learn how to use (because let's face it.....no one at Sprint probably even knows what the Arrive is), when they already have something that's working for them....?

The only thing keeping me on Sprint is their unlimited data and way cheaper prices (although crappy coverage and speeds, though it's getting better). Once that goes I'm going GSM. I recently sold a Focus I had purchased because I was THIS CLOSE to switching to AT&T until they told me my first bill would be pro-rated (doubled) and told me their monthly prices (around $20 or so more a month for me because Sprint has basically bandaged my account with discounts).

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...I know AT&T is bad in large cities like New York and Chicago,...

I am in Chicago and I am back with AT&T now. AT&T use to have a lot of dead spots in Chicago. I could pin point them on a map (especially on the Tri-State Tollway). AT&T did a lot of network expansion after they added the iPhone. I am satisfied with the coverage AT&T has now in Chicago.

stevenmcbeaven

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
^ yup, back when I had an Evo 4G, I can confirm Sprint's coverage was absolutely pathetic near DFW airport. You'd think they'd have strong coverage in a major metropolitan area.

Anyway, there are a couple of Windows Phones potentially coming soon to Sprint. One is the updated version of the Samsung Omnia 7, which recently went through FCC certification with CDMA bands. The other is the LG Fantasy, which IIRC is also a CDMA device.

3 phones are on there way q1 of 2012, an LG with a keyboard, Samsung, and an HTC.

mattemer

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
3 phones are on there way q1 of 2012, an LG with a keyboard, Samsung, and an HTC.

^ This is good news, but where does it come from? Sprint is REALLY aggravating me with their absolute lack of WP7 love. I was hoping they would announce something before the holidays, wouldn't that make sense? Just an announcement would be awesome.

I can understand they might not throw as many WP7 phones out there as AT&T currently has, but even ONE new one would be nice. I like the Arrive, and the KB it has, but I am really hoping to trade in my Epic for something thinner/keyboardless, and same size or larger screen. I just have trouble getting behind the Arrive with it being over a year old. I'm due for my upgrade now, and don't want to get another android, but if they don't announce any new WP7 phones soon, I guess it's the GSII for me :(

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
welcome to ATT BigD5 I hope that you like it I have been with Cingular ATTfor a long time and have had no real complaints but I am not in big city like BigD/FW so I havent really had coverage issues ;like people talk about in NYC etc.

I never had issues in the city... aside from a Sprint store's basement :blush:

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm really looking AT&T so far I really like the data while on a call part

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member