Why won't ANYONE make a high end chassis 1 WP7 phone??

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
And while I respect that sentiment, do you really think they're going to market the 800 as a low-mid range device? I'm betting it gets priced at $199 on contract in the US assuming it doesn't have LTE, as Verizon tends to charge a $100 premium on LTE devices. That's not mid range price territory.

Doubt it. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Nokia phone for $200. Probably because there was never one. I remember buying the E71x (one of the best phones they made) brand new when it came out for $100 on contract. If they did put it on contract for $200 they will lose. Anyone who thinks they would still do good with the competition we have already seen is being ignorant. You can say well it has a 3.7 inch screen for those who don't want big screens, but you are ignoring the fact that there is the Focus Flash which would go on sale for $100 or less. Also, the number of people who prefer less than 4 inch screens is a small amount of people.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am no engineer but I just assumed that additional RAM would allow for more sophisticated gaming experiences and allow more resource intensive apps to be developed. That said, it makes sense that a better GPU might be the way to go for those sorts of things.

And I agree about the materials and the feel of the phone. I don't like the Samsungs because they feel cheap. The experience just turns me off. The HTC Trophy that I had (by default, as Verizon only has one WP7 phone), has a good, solid feel to it. And everything I've read about the 800/N9 makes them sound like they have a good solid build to them as well.

I've never heard that it was a requirement/restriction of MS for chassis 1. I thought, and still think, it is up to the OEM and carrier as to how much to offer. Expandable storage allows the user to decide but I don't think the OEMs/carriers want that. They'd prefer to sell a 16GB iPhone for $199 and charge you an extra $100 for another 16GB than to allow you to add a cheap 16GB or 32GB microSD card yourself. I think the days of cheap expandable storage in phones is rapidly disappearing. Even the new Android Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone doesn't have a microSD slot. This will be a new profit center for the OEMs and carriers.

And while I respect that sentiment, do you really think they're going to market the 800 as a low-mid range device? I'm betting it gets priced at $199 on contract in the US assuming it doesn't have LTE, as Verizon tends to charge a $100 premium on LTE devices. That's not mid range price territory.

In gaming ram is just for storing information for quick access. This is usually textures. Gaming on handhelds requires very small textures so I would not expect it to need much ram at all. When netbooks were the rage, MS would not allow units with less than 1gb of ram to be loaded with win7. So I bet they do have restrictions. No idea if that covers storage or not though.

From what I have read about LTE its a big antenna. This is one reason the new iPhone on verizon does not have 4G LTE and just has 4G. If nokia can cram an LTE radio in the N9 they probably will. Its a huge marketing tool right now.

Budroid

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as Umm Yeah, well a similar one anyway. Contract ended in March on my iPhone 3G. Started playing with an HD7S and WP7 rocks but there are no new Mango devices on the market and I'm tired of waiting. No Nokias in the US until sometime in first half 2012? Give me a break. And the only phone announced so far that interests me is the Focus S...and maybe the Nokia Ace - but even if it is real, I won't have one before sometime next year. The 800 looks pretty cool but it is too little too late IMO.

I'm still waiting to see what the Focus S is all about and if I can get one before Thanksgiving. If not, I might end up with an SGS2 with a WP7 theme & launcher. I'm not totally convinced I shouldn't go with the SGS2 anyway.

As for the single core processors and 512MB of RAM, that appears to work for now. Even the HD7S with the 1Ghz and 576MB RAM is smooth. But what about when Apollo is released?

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, it looks like there may be one phone that might match my specs here. Hopefully the rumor pans out.

It still leaves me personally with two problems. First, I'm on Verizon and can't switch out due to business and I've never heard anything about the Focus S coming to Verizon. Second, I'm not a fan of the plasticky feel and build quality of Samsung phones. But at least someone is considering the higher end specs I was concerned about.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would not bet on it. Not yet. There were so many rumors around before the 4S event. One of the main reasons a lot of people were disappointed. They hyped the phone without any confirmations along the way from apple. Many rumors came from trusted sites too.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey Topic creator, feast your eyes on this.

Fujitsu-IS12T.jpg

;)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well, it looks like there may be one phone that might match my specs here. Hopefully the rumor pans out.

It still leaves me personally with two problems. First, I'm on Verizon and can't switch out due to business and I've never heard anything about the Focus S coming to Verizon. Second, I'm not a fan of the plasticky feel and build quality of Samsung phones. But at least someone is considering the higher end specs I was concerned about.

I love the thinness of the focus and the s is even thinner I dont think is really plasticky but I keep mine in a silicon case I mostly have it in my shirt pocket If I get the S I think it wil feel about the same and I ll get a silicon case for it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers