Nokia Windows 8 tablet in 2012?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen much on Windows 8 slates, I look forward to replacing my Android tab with one. Can you recommend some good articles on how it will work?

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "how it will work."

You could get some good looks if you just go to YouTube and type "windows 8." A developer preview was released a few months ago, so there are a lot of devs playing with it already. And at the Microsoft BUILD conference, MS gave away a bunch of tablets to the developers who attended with a pre-Beta version of Windows 8 on it.

Probably the best thing to watch are the Keynotes from the BUILD conference. It's over 2 hrs for each, but it really is worth checking out. Home - BUILD | September 13 - 16, 2011 | Anaheim Convention Center

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I myself compose music and in the entertainment area of life ( on the side )

what im gona do is just get the ARM one , having the big one would be useless
basically:

PC = Composing, editing , MASTERING, even play shows
SLATE = on the go composition , editing

that?s pretty much it, no way in **** i can run all my side programs to master and engineer the sounds. not to mentions I cant carry around my Studio Monitor speakers.lol

If the SLATE is primarily going to be for what you are saying then I don't see how you can argue that it would be right for it to be $500. I can buy a $200 netbook and do on the go composition and editing. So, what else are you going to use it for? Apps? That's what you have a smartphone for.

Also, the argument about Tablet PCs coming out before the iPad: there was. Microsoft defined a Tablet PC in 2001. There were several tablet PCs to come out before the iPad such as the HP tx1000. Why weren't they seen as revolutionary? Because they were just windows running on a screen that you could touch. There wasn't "apps" or anything that made them stand out. Doesn't mean there wasn't a tablet PC before the iPad. So, anyone who says there wasn't is just plain wrong. Now, the reason they call these new devices "slates" is because a tablet pc had a keyboard attached to it, while the slate will not have an attached keyboard.

Also, you were mentioning the ASUS tablet costing $500. The CEO of Nvidia just stated a few days ago that he expects Tegra 3 tablets to cost under $300 by mid-2012. That's a quad-core chip for under $300.

NVIDIA CEO throws Asus under the bus, says tablets could be under $300 soon

Maybe you guys have $500 to spend on whatever, but for me I wouldn't consider one unless I was in the market and I was shopping between a high-end netbook and that.

I like Microsoft's approach to this eco-system and I look forward to the working between a PC, xbox, and WP7 (errr WP8 by that time). However, I don't see the usage of adding a slate in that for $500.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I could see the x86 slates that are over $500 being laptop replacements. Fully featured OS. Completely backward compatible.

You could have a docking station at home complete with a keyboard and a USB 3.0 external hard drive. But when you want to just want to take it on the go, you can leave the keyboard and extra drive at home.

In effect, it is two devices in one.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah if the x86 vershion *replaces* my lap top , id be more then OK with it .. and would pay the 500$++

as for the HP tx1000 being a slate , it really isnt , i was just a gimic rotating screen on a laptop with the first touch technologie.... doesnt compare to a Tablet/slate that are out or comming out in the market now a dayz.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I could see the x86 slates that are over $500 being laptop replacements. Fully featured OS. Completely backward compatible.

You could have a docking station at home complete with a keyboard and a USB 3.0 external hard drive. But when you want to just want to take it on the go, you can leave the keyboard and extra drive at home.

And the implementation of the slates in near future will be huge, in the hospitals and other branches, lets say in schools for example. I know that in near future, tablets and slates will be primary in research and development, medicine, and other branches of daily life.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
And the implementation in the hospitals and other branches, lets say in schools for example. I know that in near future, tablets and slates will be primary in research and development, medicine, and other branches of daily life.

unfortunately Apple Ipads have pretty much taken that market already :S , hopefully WP8 slate will stand out for them to possibly switch.

if the slate does what we think it will , im sure MS won?t have a problem :)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

Are you saying it is a desktop and slate or laptop and slate? I do not see them replacing a desktop...because desktops are just faster for cheaper...no way around that.

If you are saying laptop and slate...that is just the Asus Transformer, so not a stretch in any form. (Snagged a tablet+keyboard = touch screen netbook replacement for $350)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
And the implementation of the slates in near future will be huge, in the hospitals and other branches, lets say in schools for example. I know that in near future, tablets and slates will be primary in research and development, medicine, and other branches of daily life.

We had window tablets in our warehouse back in 2007 (3 years before the iPad). They weren't popular because 1) they were nearly 3grand... 2) They were over an inch thick....3) AS400 didnt run well on them unless you had the one that looked like a blackberry on roids (meaning it had a built in keyboard)

Basically...i am saying this isnt new...it is just cheaper now.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
We had window tablets in our warehouse back in 2007 (3 years before the iPad). They weren't popular because 1) they were nearly 3grand... 2) They were over an inch thick....3) AS400 didnt run well on them unless you had the one that looked like a blackberry on roids (meaning it had a built in keyboard)

Yes, you are right, slates were around before iPads, but iPads sell good because they are simple, thicker and fast. I think MS has done just that. The new OS with Metro UI is simple, fun for use, and don't need very big hardware for using. The right combination will be here!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
its not really gona be the same,,,

1. its basically gona be an Ipad/laptop on roids. imagine a SLATE running all your WP apps/games , Xbox Arcade games + run normal PC programs = nothing does that right now. note books dont do this Ipad dont do this. its gona be the best of both worlds.

whatever slate we had before dint have the ecosystem of today . yes your right when you say its not new....

but its like comparing WINDOWS 3.1 to WINDOWS 7 ... its gona be SOOOOO MUCH BETTER (hopefully)

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
yeah if the x86 vershion *replaces* my lap top , id be more then OK with it .. and would pay the 500$++

as for the HP tx1000 being a slate , it really isnt , i was just a gimic rotating screen on a laptop with the first touch technologie.... doesnt compare to a Tablet/slate that are out or comming out in the market now a dayz.

lrn2read please. I said

. Microsoft defined a Tablet PC in 2001. There were several tablet PCs to come out before the iPad such as the HP tx1000. Why weren't they seen as revolutionary? Because they were just windows running on a screen that you could touch. There wasn't "apps" or anything that made them stand out. Doesn't mean there wasn't a tablet PC before the iPad. So, anyone who says there wasn't is just plain wrong. Now, the reason they call these new devices "slates" is because a tablet pc had a keyboard attached to it, while the slate will not have an attached keyboard.

The argument was whether there was Tablet PCs before the iPad and there was. Microsoft is now defining "slate" as a keyboard-less tablet. So the iPad may have been the first "slate" device but not the first tablet.

EDIT: Also, you said that a slate was going to be the first device to run FULL windows 8, well tablet PCs have been running FULL Windows XP and FULL Windows Vista and FULL Windows 7. Again the differentiation is that a Tablet PC has a keyboard attached, a slate does not have any keyboard attached.

Last edited:

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

1. its basically gona be an Ipad/laptop on roids. imagine a SLATE running all your WP apps/games , Xbox Arcade games + run normal PC programs = nothing does that right now. note books dont do this Ipad dont do this. its gona be the best of both worlds.

whatever slate we had before dint have the ecosystem of today . yes your right when you say its not new....

but its like comparing WINDOWS 3.1 to WINDOWS 7 ... its gona be SOOOOO MUCH BETTER (hopefully)

Ok, first of all your desktop/notebook will be able to run FULL windows 8. What Microsoft wants in its ecosystem is Windows 8 to work across as many devices as possible. Therefore your notebook, desktop, and possibly netbook will be able to run all the windows apps and all of your games. And if for a second you think that gaming on a slate is going to be better than gaming on a desktop PC you will be wrong. But my point is that any notebook or desktop will be able to do the same thing you are saying. It isn't something that is going to be limited to your slate. You will be able to access your Xbox Live Arcade games from your notebook and desktop, you will be able to run PC programs (which you can even argue the iPad runs PC programs now with Office), and your WP apps. So, for everyone out there this ISN'T something LIMITED to the slate. It would be available on your laptop, desktop, and possibly netbook as well.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
learn 2 read? lol all you did is prove me wrong by playing with words...

you still called it a tablet.... it was CLEARLY a Laptop with a rotating screen...(HYBRID)

using your logic i can say my Desktop PC is a slate because it uses a *flat touch screen*

w/e ,if YOU would have read the post i posted after. you would relies I wasn’t arguing that slates where new or tablets where new or old.....

im just saying its DIFFRENT from what we had and what we have now

BTW: the Asus Transformer was a TABLET PC , not the HP tx1000 if you look up the description its actually described as a HYBRID between LAPTOP and a TABLET

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
learn 2 read? lol all you did is prove me wrong by playing with words...

you still called it a tablet.... it was CLEARLY a Laptop with a rotating screen...(HYBRID)

using your logic i can say my Desktop PC is a slate because it uses a *flat touch screen*

w/e ,if YOU would have read the post i posted after. you would relies I wasn?t arguing that slates where new or tablets where new or old.....

im just saying its DIFFRENT from what we had and what we have now

BTW: the Asus Transformer was a TABLET PC , not the HP tx1000 if you look up the description its actually described as a HYBRID between LAPTOP and a TABLET

PC World begs to differ.

HP Pavilion tx1000 Laptop Computer Product Information | PCWorld

"This easy-to-use tablet PC is graced with thoughtful design touches, but it had a short battery life in our tests."

Keyword in there is tablet PC. And I'm not saying there aren't people that call Android and Apple products tablets, but what I'm saying is under Microsoft's definition a tablet PC runs a desktop version of their OS and has a touch screen input with an attached keyboard. That is why they are coming out with "slates" to differentiate from tablets in the attached keyboard department. Do you understand now? And nowhere did I say the definition of a tablet PC was a "flat touch screen", so I don't know why you brought up that under my definition a tablet PC would be your desktop. I didn't even fully define tablet PC but rather the difference between tablet PC and slate.

This was the part I said:

Now, the reason they call these new devices "slates" is because a tablet pc had a keyboard attached to it, while the slate will not have an attached keyboard.

So nowhere did I say "Oh a tablet PC is anything with a flat screen." So thank you for putting out words such as "According to your definition" considering nowhere did I say the definition of a tablet is...

And yes is the slate going to be different from what we had before, yes. But, you are making it sound like we never had mobile computers with touch screens running full windows OS and we did. Not to mention you are making it sound like ONLY the slate computers are going to have this special functionality that no other computer running Windows 8 will have and that's simply not true. The whole idea behind Microsoft's ecosystem is that you will be able to use your apps or watch your movies or play your games across many devices including desktops, notebooks, slates (tablet PCs), and your phone. That is what I am trying to clear up.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying it is a desktop and slate or laptop and slate? I do not see them replacing a desktop...because desktops are just faster for cheaper...no way around that.

If you are saying laptop and slate...that is just the Asus Transformer, so not a stretch in any form. (Snagged a tablet+keyboard = touch screen netbook replacement for $350)

Both scenarios would work for non-power users.

A desktop may be cheap. But it's stuck at home. And a desktop plus an iPad is going to be more expensive than a Windows 8 slate.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

You obviously haven't seen Windows 8.

Bacefabc

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Me now:
iPhone 4
iPad
Windows 7 laptop
PS3

Me in the future:
Windows Phone 8
Windows 8 Slate
Same laptop but with Win 8
XBOX 3/720

Btw these Win 8 slates are going to cost $1000+ here in Denmark so stop the whining because of 200 bucks :)

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i understand that the words tablet and slate are used lightly.

i also understand that you don’t understand that all i was saying is * what we are going to have with the WP8 slates is different from what your showing me or what MS had out before. * (like the HP Pavilion tx1000 laptop or Asus Transformer tablet pc )

PS. (HP Pavilion tx1000) If you go on the HP website they call it a NOTEBOOK , I trust HP`s OFFICIAL web site over your PC world Reporters ( no offence ) cause they normaly get the info from official sites and reps.

HP Pavilion tx1000 CTO Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

what I'm saying is under Microsoft's definition a tablet PC runs a desktop version of their OS and has a touch screen input with an attached keyboard.

.. sooo any new laptops with touch screen is a Tablet PC ? your saying or MS is saying.. any touch screen with a keyboard...... so any high end laptops .....

Yeah so the word tablet and slate are used lightly.

How bout we just agree to disagree

Last edited:

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Me now:
iPhone 4
iPad
Windows 7 laptop
PS3

Me in the future:
Windows Phone 8
Windows 8 Slate
Same laptop but with Win 8
XBOX 3/720

Btw these Win 8 slates are going to cost $1000+ here in Denmark so stop the whining because of 200 bucks :)

Well i heard a rumor that the all Windows Ecosystem (WP8+Windows Slate+XBOX) can be both in packet in near future for good prize. That will be huge success for MS! I think that will be good deal to people who don't like spending much, but want to have it all :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo