Really need a slider with a new device...

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Those are little reason for not having a keyboard. Alot of people really like the feel of a keyboard. I mean I got my DellVP and I go crazy trying to use the on screen keyboard, I gotta slide it down. With phones becomming so thin, the thickness factor is fastlest dropping out. I WP7 is so responsive I dont think the slide down to landscape mod wait is going to be a problem. I mean those little reasons cant be stopping them from making new sliders. I 100% also think that Apollo will have a whole lot of phones with slider keyboards, mostly becuase so many phone companys are now jumping on the WP7 wagon.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree

Side slider with keyboard is mandatory for me. I do not like soft keyboards and all the typos that come with them. I even got frustrated using the soft keyboard on my dad's 7" tablet the other day. I will keep this Quantum until it turns into dust if I have to! However, I'm hopeful that Nokia at least will release a slider since they have one in their recent Symbian line-up geared towards business users.

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Side slider with keyboard is mandatory for me. I do not like soft keyboards and all the typos that come with them. I even got frustrated using the soft keyboard on my dad's 7" tablet the other day. I will keep this Quantum until it turns into dust if I have to! However, I'm hopeful that Nokia at least will release a slider since they have one in their recent Symbian line-up geared towards business users.

If you're thinking of the Nokia E7, then it's got an awesome keyboard. If they'd beef up the specs and put Mango on it, then I'd wait in line to get one. Heck, it doesn't even have to be LTE for me to get it. I'm happy with 3G or HSPA+ as that's all I have where I live anyway.

zyriak

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Im waiting on a Nokia WP7 phone with a qwerty slider keyboard, I have the N900 currently and just love the keyboard on it, give me a similair WP7 device and I pre-order it right away!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

While you're waiting on that elusive Nokia Windows Phone with a physical kyboard, welcome to WPCentral zyriak. :)

Hopefully more phones will be revealed at MCW. :)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I though that after owning my Neon, a keyboard will be very important for me but I learned not to be afraid of on screen keyboards anymore. I don't like the Metro keyboard that much though, I press the Shift button way to much, and the buttons to change between languages and back are too small.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I originally had a Dell Venue Pro, but I returned it because it had a defective screen. Otherwise I might have kept it, but the truth is I found it too heavy. The fact that it only had 3G didn't help either, but I knew that going in. If there was a DVP 2 with 4G and a thinner, lighter build, I'd definitely be interested.

The Titan I'm using now makes up for the lack of a physical keyboard with a large virtual keyboard.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
While there seem to be a lot of people here that want a physical keyboard there are lots more who either dont want it or dont care that much. There should be devices with physical keyboards thats up to the oems and the carriers. OEM's will make whatever devices the carriers want so petition carriers to have them made. Just posting here and on other forums will likely have no impact. Make your wants knlown en masse via petitiona letters tweets etc!

Me2

Jun 29, 2002
Visit site
If you're thinking of the Nokia E7, then it's got an awesome keyboard. If they'd beef up the specs and put Mango on it, then I'd wait in line to get one. Heck, it doesn't even have to be LTE for me to get it. I'm happy with 3G or HSPA+ as that's all I have where I live anyway.

I'd jump on a WP7-powered E7 too. As long they beefed up that pathetic battery. Why do phone manufacturers make perfectly good phones unfit for purpose by caving into the "gotta stick it in my tight pants" VPL-phobia'd fashion police, and shaving off the battery mm to the extent that it only lasts half a day?

Last edited:

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'd jump on a WP7-powered E7 too. As long they beefed up that pathetic battery. Why do phone manufacturers make perfectly good phones unfit for purpose by caving into the "gotta stick it in my tight pants" VPL-phobia'd fashion police, and shaving off the battery mm to the extent that it only lasts half a day?

The moment I hear of one being launched I'm buying it. No questions asked!

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
There are 2 big problems with side-slider keyboards.

1. It's inconvenient to slide out and wait for the screen to rotate just to enter login details or short response. That is why, irrespective of OS, most people end up using the on screen keyboard for common tasks even if they have a physical keyboard available.

I guess my family must be odd then as all 3 of us never use the soft keyboard (We all have Quantums).

Scott

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
To each his own. Maybe slider qwerty's will make a comeback or even devices like the droid pro. I really like the treo pro form but the screen needed to be larger and the keyboard smaller or they needed to go with a larger screen on screen keybaord. I've made the switch and I am not really interested in a qwrty physical kb. To each his own!

zyriak

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
To each his own. Maybe slider qwerty's will make a comeback or even devices like the droid pro. I really like the treo pro form but the screen needed to be larger and the keyboard smaller or they needed to go with a larger screen on screen keybaord. I've made the switch and I am not really interested in a qwrty physical kb. To each his own!

I tried the Lumia 800 and it's an amazing phone but I just cannot do without a proper slider keyboard. Got the N900 now and im able to type so much faster on it than on a virtual keyboard, also it doesn't feel as good. You get a much better grip typing on a slider in my opinion.

The wait for a Nokia WP slider is just a pain :(

When they release one I just hope it will be a high-end one, im ready to pay a lot for such a device!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You can't wait forever though zyriak, what if there's no Nokia with a physical keyboard, would you still go for a Lumia 900 or is any phone without a physical keyboard a no no ?

You really do get used to the onscreen keyboard though, honest! :p

zyriak

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
You can't wait forever though zyriak, what if there's no Nokia with a physical keyboard, would you still go for a Lumia 900 or is any phone without a physical keyboard a no no ?

You really do get used to the onscreen keyboard though, honest! :p

Yeah I would go for the Lumia 900 then and hope there will be a WP8 slider device from Nokia but I still have good hopes a WP7 Nokia slider will be announced soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky