05-26-2012 04:32 PM
82 1234
tools
    I don't see why people are so quick to judge the HTC Radar. It is my first WP device after switching from an iPhone 4 and I am incredibly impressed. Some may quickly write off the Radar or Lumia 710 as being "low-end" devices, but they probably haven't spent an extended period of time with them either. The HTC Radar feels like a very expensive phone, the metal casing and white accents really give it a nice feel, combine that with hardware that works extremely well with WP7 and it really feels like I wouldn't want a phone any faster. I am in Florida, and T-mobile's 4G speeds are FAR better than what I was getting on my iPhone 4 with AT&T.

So if any of you are looking into getting a WP7 device, don't let the old habit of comparing stats/hardware keep you from at least spending a few minutes in a store testing these "low-end" devices, because you may just be surprised on how well they really do perform. :P I am more than happy with my Radar, and will be using it everyday until there is an Apollo device available.
    01-27-2012 09:56 AM
    But the thing is, I know how well the OS perform and I want a better phone around it. The Radar is a phone that's happy enough sporting the bare minimun requirements and I don't like that lazyness.
    01-27-2012 10:06 AM
    But the thing is, I know how well the OS perform and I want a better phone around it. The Radar is a phone that's happy enough sporting the bare minimun requirements and I don't like that lazyness.
    Have you actually used one? It isn't bare requirements by any means.
    01-27-2012 10:31 AM
    How not?

HTC Radar
    5 Mega Pixel camera, 1 GHZ processor, super LCD, 8GB of storage.

Samsung Focus S
    8 Mega pixel camera, 1.4 GHZ processor, SAMD+, 16GB of storage.

The Focus S is above the bare minimun in every way, why should I classify the Radar as high end when it could had launch day one and it will still have average specs.
    01-27-2012 10:39 AM
    How not?

HTC Radar
    5 Mega Pixel camera, 1 GHZ processor, super LCD, 8GB of storage.

Samsung Focus S
    8 Mega pixel camera, 1.4 GHZ processor, SAMD+, 16GB of storage.

The Focus S is above the bare minimun in every way, why should I classify the Radar as high end when it could had launch day one and it will still have average specs.
    I'm not saying it is high end, rather that you don't need high end hardware to get a high end experience using WP7/7.5. That is what is so great about WP as an OS, I get performance that is far far better than I expected. Would it be bette to have higher stats? Absolutely, but for most users the current hardware is more than enough. :)

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express
    01-27-2012 10:47 AM
    I know it works great. But the only reason I haven't jumped to T-mobile yet is because of the averageness of their WP7 devices.
    01-27-2012 10:51 AM
    If anyone is interested in jumping to Tmo in anticipation of better phones they now have promo plans that include tethering up to your data allowance (basically as it should have been all along). If they do bring in better Nokia's would be good to get this plan while it lasts.
    01-27-2012 12:39 PM
    Take this with a grain of salt, but I know a T-Mobile employee who said they're working with Nokia to bring a "900+" to their stable -- something like the 900, but with a 12MP camera and other "improved" features. Again...grain of salt.
    I like salt.
    01-27-2012 12:43 PM
    It's not laziness. It's a good phone made in a way that's affordable to the masses.

Now, the Radar isn't my favorite device. But I've played with it and it's not a bad phone. I do notice a difference in screen quality between the Radar and the Focus or Titan. But it's not like it's bad.
    01-27-2012 12:45 PM
    I do notice a difference in screen quality between the Radar and the Focus or Titan. But it's not like it's bad.
    what about speed?
    01-27-2012 01:00 PM
    Take this with a grain of salt, but I know a T-Mobile employee who said they're working with Nokia to bring a "900+" to their stable -- something like the 900, but with a 12MP camera and other "improved" features. Again...grain of salt.
    I'll add some spice: I posted on twitter and mentioned tmobile's account, they replied back to me and said stay tuned. I replied back and mentioned WP7 specifically and again they said basically stay tuned.

So now all we need is some pepper and we're set with a new WP7 on Tmo! :)
    Winterfang and locokip like this.
    01-27-2012 01:00 PM
    Buy an unlocked and unbranded Lumia 900 and use it T-Mobile. They are the only other GSM carrier in the USA.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    01-27-2012 01:04 PM
    I'll add some spice: I posted on twitter and mentioned tmobile's account, they replied back to me and said stay tuned. I replied back and mentioned WP7 specifically and again they said basically stay tuned.

So now all we need is some pepper and we're set with a new WP7 on Tmo! :)
    Mobile world congress can't come soon enough.
    01-29-2012 11:12 AM
    Buy an unlocked and unbranded Lumia 900 and use it T-Mobile. They are the only other GSM carrier in the USA.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    That unlocked and unbranded Lumia 900 would only run at EDGE speeds on T-Mobile.
    02-04-2012 12:37 AM
    That unlocked and unbranded Lumia 900 would only run at EDGE speeds on T-Mobile.
    It would depend on the radio it has inside it.
    02-20-2012 12:06 AM
    My guess is that T-mobile was expecting the AT&T merger to go thru and therefore did not vye for any new WPs in their stable. Once the 900 exclusivity runs out in a few months, the 900, or something very much like it, will be available on T-mobile. T-Mobile has always been very Nokia friendly and with GSM, it just makes sense. Of course it won't be real 4G, but soon the whole world will run off WiFi ;)

Now let's all hope it comes in at a reasonable price point!
    02-20-2012 12:23 AM
    I sell Cellphone accessories in Puerto Rico.

Unrelated but does T-mobile allow free Tethering?
    Uh. I think you would make more $ a year trading in MS points for pesos or whatever they use in Puerto Rico. :lol:

02-20-2012 12:28 AM
    We use American Dollars here but we call them pesos, because **** logic lol.
    02-20-2012 03:53 PM
    We use American Dollars here but we call them pesos, because **** logic lol.
    Whatever buys a cold San Miguel works for me!
    02-22-2012 02:13 PM
    It would depend on the radio it has inside it.
    Since the Lumia 900 is going to AT&T right away, the phone will only support WCDMA Band II 1900 (it also states that on the Nokia US website) for data. T-Mobile requires Band IV 1700. So, while the phone will work just fine on T-Mobile, it will be slow as molasses for anything data related.

None of that is going to matter once T-Mobile refarms its 1900 mhz spectrum for data usage but I doubt that'll happen this year and I doubt it'll affect EVERYBODY at once anyway.

----------

Replying to the original post, it seems like there is the possibility of the 900 coming to T-Mobile this year, after AT&T's exclusivity window ends, but there's nothing definitive as of yet (Who knows, maybe the exclusivity window is much longer than 45 days).

My solution to this is to buy an unlocked Lumia 710 in the next month and just wait until either the 900 if it launches later this year, or an Apollo device. I still have a phone upgrade on T-Mobile so I'd rather use it on an expensive device. Being that I'm currently on an Android phone, the above is the logical course of action for me. I'm tired of performance issues that have plagued me on the Nexus S as well as lower end Android phones.
    03-01-2012 09:06 PM

Replying to the original post, it seems like there is the possibility of the 900 coming to T-Mobile this year, after AT&T's exclusivity window ends, but there's nothing definitive as of yet (Who knows, maybe the exclusivity window is much longer than 45 days).

My solution to this is to buy an unlocked Lumia 710 in the next month and just wait until either the 900 if it launches later this year, or an Apollo device. I still have a phone upgrade on T-Mobile so I'd rather use it on an expensive device.

This was my rationale as well. I've been using a 3GS on T-Mobile (also stuck on edge -__-) and wanted the lumia 800/900, but with the lack of correct bands, settled for the Radar and intend to reevaluate again in the fall when Apollo hits.
    03-02-2012 02:55 PM
    T-mobile is currently in the process of refarming its existing H(+) network to the PCS band. Once this happens the concern of what phones Tmo gets will be eliminated.
    03-02-2012 03:22 PM
    I pay $110/mo with a TMO family plan and 2 Lumia 710's. I don't need the 900. The point of a Windows Phone is to not spend too much time with the phone. You want gadgets go Android.
    03-17-2012 08:33 AM
    Well to me that kinda ruins the point. I got my HD7 as a fast, sleek device that runs the gadgets well. Yes, we're years behind on app count and developer support, but originally our platform will include all the gadgets that Android has, and hopefully will use them in a lighter, more powerful format.
    03-21-2012 06:36 PM
    I wouldn't consider the Galaxy S II and HTC Amaze to be low end. They are as good as their Vivid and Skyrocket counterparts.
    Believe it or not, other than the apps and design, the 900 doesn't have anything on either the 710 or Radar performance wise. If the 710 and Radar are "low end", then the argument can be made the 900 is a mid range device and it will be obvious when the Windows Phone 8 devices come out shortly.
    03-30-2012 08:42 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD