WP on Verizon?

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yep.. thats exactly VZW's attitude too.. Arrogance.. they dont need me.. nor do they care if I was a 15 year customer... they have 80 million other customers.. good for them. Apparently their customers are supposed to buy what they sell... they shouldnt ask for what they want.. nor expect anything but what they tell them to buy...

And FWIW , they dont really know if WP7 will sell.... they have one mediocre phone to offer... one **** of a test case.. be like Chevy testing the sports car waters by offering a Chevette .. instead of a Corvette ! Not to mention marketing be damned. (think Droid)

VZW is indefensible on this forum. Everything else is just an excuse. Just my .02 I'm sure YMMV

It is called going by how well it is selling overall not just on one carrier. Simple numbers the investors are all about the company making them money and right now that comes with iphone and android no denying that. Just look at the market share and it will prove the boy. Not defending anyone on this one. Numbers don't lie.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It is called going by how well it is selling overall not just on one carrier. Simple numbers the investors are all about the company making them money and right now that comes with iphone and android no denying that. Just look at the market share and it will prove the boy. Not defending anyone on this one. Numbers don't lie.

Indeed the numbers dont lie it costs Verizon no more to sell WP7 than it does android or ios. Reasons short of the truth not to carry a decent device are excuses its that simple. (truth is they are pissed at MS )

In fact I would argue it costs them money not having a legitimate WP7 offering... afterall I left to AT&T because of it. Lost sales especially in data plans (contracts) do not make
them MORE money.

I would also argue that it costs them LESS to sell addtional WP7 devices than it does android since the UI and OS is the same for all devices.

I would offer proof of their excuses: VZW stated they turned down the Nokia device due to not having LTE support and they want ALL their smart phones to have LTE built in. ALTHOUGH .. they have the iPhone 4s. Hmm...

Why dont they just come out and state they are pissed at MS? Then WP7 enthusiasts can just switch carriers and stop wondering if a decent WP7 device will ever come to VZW.

Oh.. and first generation WP7 devices are not mediocre.. in fact I'm still using an i917.. it makes the trophy look ... well.. mediocre ;) Next stop.. LUMIA 900

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Indeed the numbers dont lie it costs Verizon no more to sell WP7 than it does android or ios. Reasons short of the truth not to carry a decent device are excuses its that simple. (truth is they are pissed at MS )

In fact I would argue it costs them money not having a legitimate WP7 offering... afterall I left to AT&T because of it. Lost sales especially in data plans (contracts) do not make
them MORE money.

I would also argue that it costs them LESS to sell addtional WP7 devices than it does android since the UI and OS is the same for all devices.

I would offer proof of their excuses: VZW stated they turned down the Nokia device due to not having LTE support and they want ALL their smart phones to have LTE built in. ALTHOUGH .. they have the iPhone 4s. Hmm...

Why dont they just come out and state they are pissed at MS? Then WP7 enthusiasts can just switch carriers and stop wondering if a decent WP7 device will ever come to VZW.

Oh.. and first generation WP7 devices are not mediocre.. in fact I'm still using an i917.. it makes the trophy look ... well.. mediocre ;) Next stop.. LUMIA 900

Except when they said about lte the 4s had been out for awhile. Maybe at least use a source that was said before a phone came out... Every wp device so far is mediocre.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it hurts Verizon not having a new WP. Down the road I'm sure Verizon will carry more WP, but they probably feel they don't have to rush to support a platform that has less than 5% marketshare. Regardless I'm not switching, so I'll make do with the phones they carry.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it hurts Verizon not having a new WP. Down the road I'm sure Verizon will carry more WP, but they probably feel they don't have to rush to support a platform that has less than 5% marketshare. Regardless I'm not switching, so I'll make do with the phones they carry.

I think what verizon is doing is smart. They let at&t do all the advertising and then if the phones take off they can get on board because people will already know about the phones and sell alot. They just aren't selling that great now and not to many people are interested in WP no matter how polished and nice of an OS it is.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think what verizon is doing is smart. They let at&t do all the advertising and then if the phones take off they can get on board because people will already know about the phones and sell alot. They just aren't selling that great now and not to many people are interested in WP no matter how polished and nice of an OS it is.

I agree. That's similar to how it worked out for them with the iPhone, which is their top selling phone by far.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to wait an entire year for a new phone. -_- Might as well pick up the Trophy at this point. Worthless, Verzion... Worthless.
That was actually a joke, just making fun of the fact that Verizon likes to offer their Windows Phones a lot later than everyone else.

Hopefully we'll see something by the end of 2012.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Although the Trophy has been out almost for a year, I recently got and am very surprised and pleased with the performance. It's fast, smooth, and runs WP very well. It's solid and well-built. No, I probably wouldn't lock myself into a two-year contract, but it is an excellent phone and will easily get you through the rest of the year.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Although the Trophy has been out almost for a year, I recently got and am very surprised and pleased with the performance. It's fast, smooth, and runs WP very well. It's solid and well-built. No, I probably wouldn't lock myself into a two-year contract, but it is an excellent phone and will easily get you through the rest of the year.

Yeah, now to find one off-contract for like $100. I'm not going to use my upgrade, and I'm not spending $400 on the device. Been watching ebay for quite some time now, waiting to see if a Trophy will pop up that bids for under at least $150, so I could see if I can pull some strings and get one.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Except when they said about lte the 4s had been out for awhile. Maybe at least use a source that was said before a phone came out... Every wp device so far is mediocre.

LOL seriously ! Clearly you are employed by VZW.... Or know someone that is...

No.. I'm talking BEFORE the 4s was announced. We can bicker about quoting sources... the fact is...

The 900 is every bit as competitive as the 4s .. and I would argue the Focus S is equally competitive with any other device .. especially since WP7 has no need for mulitple cores to produce a wonderfully fluid experience...

Fact is... well the facts are that if you are on vzw and you want a cool WP7.. you have one option .. get the heck away from vzw.

I did.. and more will follow.... But i'm sure vzw is too arrogant to care... good for them again...

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
waycoolkennel - I think for many people (probably the majority of people) out there, the quality of the service they receive is their #1 priority. If you don't have good service, your smartphone, no matter how wonderful it is, becomes a glorified paperweight. I think Verizon was the largest carrier in the U.S. BEFORE they got the iPhone in early 2011, which shows how important service quality is to many people.

I'm fortunate to be in a financial position where I can have 2 lines and can buy devices on all the mobile OS to test them out and play around with them, so I have a Trophy and am quite happy with it (except for some e-mail issues I've discussed elsewhere). I'm also lucky to not be up for contract renewal on the first (primary) line until August 2012, so I can be patient and wait for Windows 8 phones when they come out later this year. I DO think Verizon will carry Windows 8 phones, perhaps not immediately at launch, but not too long after.

Verizon is a conservative company that focuses on maintaining its infrastructure rather than focusing on bells and whistles. That shows up in their service quality and coverage. They have never failed to support a smartphone platform that was reasonably popular and available for them to sell. If the Windows Phone is even a moderate success (which honestly it is not right now), I'm pretty sure VZW will sell it. People just need to be patient, as hard as that may be.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is a conservative company that focuses on maintaining its infrastructure rather than focusing on bells and whistles. That shows up in their service quality and coverage. They have never failed to support a smartphone platform that was reasonably popular and available for them to sell. If the Windows Phone is even a moderate success (which honestly it is not right now), I'm pretty sure VZW will sell it. People just need to be patient, as hard as that may be.

I agree with this. Verizon will carry more WP eventually, I just think they are waiting for the platform to become more popular. As it is they aren't hurting at all by not carrying any of the new WP.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

LOL seriously ! Clearly you are employed by VZW.... Or know someone that is...

No.. I'm talking BEFORE the 4s was announced. We can bicker about quoting sources... the fact is...

The 900 is every bit as competitive as the 4s .. and I would argue the Focus S is equally competitive with any other device .. especially since WP7 has no need for mulitple cores to produce a wonderfully fluid experience...

Fact is... well the facts are that if you are on vzw and you want a cool WP7.. you have one option .. get the heck away from vzw.

I did.. and more will follow.... But i'm sure vzw is too arrogant to care... good for them again...

When they said about lte it was after the 4s, and no i dont work for verizon or know anyone who works for verizon. Like i said verizon isn't the first to jump on something, they did fine for 2 years without the iphone which sells 100X better than any and all WP so they can take their time with this to. People care more about being able to have a connection first and what phones second. And not to mention I would hope a phone that comes out months later would be competitive to an older model phone in this case the 4s.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
LOL I'm pretty sure the Focus S was out before the 4s... but I digress.. they (vzw) can be described as "conservative" (thinking about DROID marketing barrage before they had the iPhone and &droid was not popular.. i.e. ero) .. its just not reality. They clearly gambled on moto droid... and why? Because they were losing their arse to the iPhone which they also turned down (arrogance again).

It's also not reality that the coverage is THAT much different between AT&T and vzw .. might look at the map again. Are there specific places where one carrier is better than another ? Absolutely ! I seem to remember fishing in SE Alaska where my brother had AT&T and I had vzw . he had service to call for help when the impeller when out on our boat. So yes in very specific instances yes there is a difference, overall .. not so much.

In addition.. vzw sells their network now based on LTE coverage not phone service or even 3g .. yep... pretty sure 99% of smart phone users dont need LTE (20 mbs) to their phone.. just ask all the users with an iPhone.. :) they seem to be getting along just fine...

I think this thread has run its course... I'm not sure why anyone would defend vzw on this particular forum.... but ok good for them again ;) maybe I'll buy some stock :) Not.

vzw has been lucky at best with their phone platform decisions.. good network? sure but the gap is closing for virtually all users' needs to a phone..

Personally ... I hope MS and Nokia tell vzw to shove it... of course they wont but that would make me giggle...

as I said YMMV...

I understand this is basically a consumer forum.. and I suppose most believe my opinion is that of a 15 yr old kid mouthing off.. the reality is I'm an IT Manager that influences all decisions related to corporate devices. &droid will NEVER at this point have access to either our corporate network or our email system via EAS. WP7 yes. iPhone yes. Blackberry Yes (but who can justify managing BES servers given the functionality available on other platforms just ask Dell) So take those two options and suddenly things look very different from a carrier perspective especially when you start talking private (cloud) marketplace for LOB apps etc... not to mention things like Office, Sharepoint, Lync, OneNote, SCCM management etc...

Good luck with it vzw... wait til its popular first.. good for you.. IMO after expressing these concerns to vzw reps etc.. etc.. they dont care I'm supposed to buy what they sell end of discussion .. PURE ARROGANCE.

Again.. YMMV.. Good luck with it ;)

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Once people start declining Verizon, and go to AT&T because of WP... I wonder how that's going to look on Verizon's part. Going to lose so many customers because of this, it's not going to hurt them over all but it definitely will be a percentage loss. If I wasn't grandfathered into Verizon right now, and didn't need an ETF... I probably would switch to AT&T.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have good coverage and a great plan with Verizon so I'm not going anywhere, but I can see why some of you would. I'm curious as to what percentage you guys think Verizon will lose to other carriers over WP? I know we enjoy using WP, but the platform doesn't even have 5% market share yet. Am I underestimating the number of people that will switch for a windows phone?

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb