WP on Verizon?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
If I wasn't roped into VZW so heavily (grandfathered voice, data, & text plans, Network Extender, family plan, 18% corporate discount, great coverage in the UP, etc) I would leave for a better phone. Especially where I could swap different phones easily.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If I wasn't roped into VZW so heavily (grandfathered voice, data, & text plans, Network Extender, family plan, 18% corporate discount, great coverage in the UP, etc) I would leave for a better phone. Especially where I could swap different phones easily.

I'm in the same exact position. I'm grandfathered in as well, and plus it would be an expensive ETF, then to have to buy a contract and everything.. just way to much money. Even though my family plan is close to $300 a month, it's ridiculous.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
They have no grudge it is about making money. WP still isn't selling that well and verizon isn't going to go all in on something that isn't a proven seller. Plus I am sure they will be just fine without you as a customer, they have another 80+ million to worry about. Not to mention when the first wp devices came out they were all pretty mediocre.

No, that's not true either. It's selling pretty good for a phone that is neither marketed nor pushed by the reps.

Besides, I swear Android is *why* we're always busy worrying about those other customers. Android is good and sturdy when left well enough alone, but ugh...the bloatware-infested slugs the manufacturers are always pushing into the hands of people who can't operate their toaster, much less a smartphone! They call us back 6 months later *DEMANDING* iPhones because they've had six droid-somethingorother warranty replacements in a row, all of which were sent out because the reps are similarly unable to figure out why these phones can't seem to stay stable.

(I consider myself pretty good, and I rarely give up on the hardware without absolute proof that it's responsible, but it shouldn't be so hard that PC-techs have trouble figuring it out.)

It's not also completely the reps' faults that they don't tell more customers about WP7 either. The website pricing undercuts what the reps are able to sell it for by $150. Why? Because VZW is getting increasingly more aggressive about selling LTE, which has cheaper bandwidth for all if we can keep getting people to adopt it. VZW wants the reps to push it. They don't even really want us proactively selling iPhones anymore, which are restrictively expensive to US because of their overly high full-retail price. VZW doesn't hate WP, they just really really love LTE, and the manufacturers are churning out more LTE androids than other types of phones.

In a nutshell, before we see any more WP devices, what needs to happen is a CDMA/LTE Windows Phone. This may tie into the rumors people heard about a non-lte lumia being cancelled. Still, if AT&T can have LTE Lumias, where's ours? :p Well, for what it's worth, I've heard rumors and murmurs and mutterings, but nothing I can give as any sort of proof or truth, or even what potential devices may happen. Sorry. :(

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
They have no grudge it is about making money. WP still isn't selling that well and verizon isn't going to go all in on something that isn't a proven seller. Plus I am sure they will be just fine without you as a customer, they have another 80+ million to worry about. Not to mention when the first wp devices came out they were all pretty mediocre.

Verizon had no issues putting their money behind Android with the first "Droid" phone and it was a far from proven platform and several years later its a fragmented, chopped up, schizophrenic OS. As someone who has owned more smartphones from BlackBerry, iOS, Android and WP7 that would make your head spin I can say Verizon could make the WP platform rain money from on high.

Simple reason is they want bloatware, bloatware, bloatware and nothing less will do.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Indeed the numbers dont lie it costs Verizon no more to sell WP7 than it does android or ios. Reasons short of the truth not to carry a decent device are excuses its that simple. (truth is they are pissed at MS )

In fact I would argue it costs them money not having a legitimate WP7 offering... afterall I left to AT&T because of it. Lost sales especially in data plans (contracts) do not make
them MORE money.

I would also argue that it costs them LESS to sell addtional WP7 devices than it does android since the UI and OS is the same for all devices.

I would offer proof of their excuses: VZW stated they turned down the Nokia device due to not having LTE support and they want ALL their smart phones to have LTE built in. ALTHOUGH .. they have the iPhone 4s. Hmm...

Why dont they just come out and state they are pissed at MS? Then WP7 enthusiasts can just switch carriers and stop wondering if a decent WP7 device will ever come to VZW.

Oh.. and first generation WP7 devices are not mediocre.. in fact I'm still using an i917.. it makes the trophy look ... well.. mediocre ;) Next stop.. LUMIA 900

Not sure, but I recall Verizon stating they will only be adding LTE capable phones in 2012, hence the iP4S was released in 2011 with 3G and we already know the next iphone will have LTE (rumored yet a given). So its possible that Nokia didn't have a CDMA/LTE device ready for 2012 and would only have had a 3G device. If that is the case then I see VZW saying no thanks until you can get one ready.

As for marketing devices, customers come in some know what they want, some are blind and will only get an iOS device and the vast majority are still first time Smartphone customers.

The OEM's pitch the hardware, the carriers agree to the hardware and then test it and release it and market it. If the OEM's are pitching Verizon what they want, which is LTE WP7/WP8 devices then Verizon won't bite.

I for one will give VZW until EOY to roll out a WP8 device with LTE and it better be high end not some mid-range POS. Otherwise I may have to go despite the poor AT&T coverage (god help us all).

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
ATT's coverage fine here in Western Arkansas! Have you received the trophy 8107 update? If so did it help improve your device?

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Although the Trophy has been out almost for a year, I recently got and am very surprised and pleased with the performance. It's fast, smooth, and runs WP very well. It's solid and well-built. No, I probably wouldn't lock myself into a two-year contract, but it is an excellent phone and will easily get you through the rest of the year.

x2

OP/ED:
I've only had my Trophy a couple days. The Droid Incredible it replaced was extremely stable (didn't lock-up, or need rebooting... ever). The responsiveness of the Trophy, and well thought out interface of WP7, is a real winner in my initial assessment after having Android for 3 years. I've never owned an iPhone, but have an iPad - and I think for the phone platform WP7 could easily win out too bad it got such a late start. There are a couple apps that I really miss, just as I miss the "free" tethering/wifi hotspot capability I had with my Incredible. I hope the apps catch up a bit, and then the WP7/8 phone has potential to be a i/droid killer. If it wouldn't affect performance, I'd like to have one more set of tiles to work with.

I won't be leaving Verizon, but hope they have a new WP available this fall. Can't believe I had to pay for a refurbed Trophy and could have gotten the latest and greatest HTC Android phone for free. But I did, and so far I'm happy I did. Maybe its old technology, but it sure works great, and performs fast!

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
x2

OP/ED:
I've only had my Trophy a couple days. The Droid Incredible it replaced was extremely stable (didn't lock-up, or need rebooting... ever). The responsiveness of the Trophy, and well thought out interface of WP7, is a real winner in my initial assessment after having Android for 3 years. I've never owned an iPhone, but have an iPad - and I think for the phone platform WP7 could easily win out too bad it got such a late start. There are a couple apps that I really miss, just as I miss the "free" tethering/wifi hotspot capability I had with my Incredible. I hope the apps catch up a bit, and then the WP7/8 phone has potential to be a i/droid killer. If it wouldn't affect performance, I'd like to have one more set of tiles to work with.

I won't be leaving Verizon, but hope they have a new WP available this fall. Can't believe I had to pay for a refurbed Trophy and could have gotten the latest and greatest HTC Android phone for free. But I did, and so far I'm happy I did. Maybe its old technology, but it sure works great, and performs fast!

Check out the Trophy forums on XDA Developers. You can get several custom roms, one, at least, includes Tethering.

HTC Trophy - xda-developers

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Now we have to wait and see just what Verizon rolls out. Will it be the rumored high end Nokia phone with WP8 and an HD screen or some middle of the road device. My hope is we get the rumored Nokia high end gear.

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's my hope:

Nokia (for exclusive apps)
4" screen (i have 3.7" now, not sure i want to go all the way to 4.3")
WP8
720 resolution
High quality camera
LTE support
NFC support

hlm2311#WP

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
verizon windows phones

just be patient people verizon is getting windows phones but not until later this yr thats when the phones will support lte

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I can't see leaving for AT&T just because I might lose my unlimited Verizon plan. I think we need to see what plans Verizon intends to force is into before getting too upset.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo