What happened to the Samsung Mandel

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
The phone I was surely going to purchase, the Samsung Mandel was rumored back in December of last year, but has not shown up since. Samsung has noted its interest to make Windows 8 Apollo phones, but the Mandel was going to launched with Windows 7.5 and LTE capabilities. So where is it? Will it ever come out?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
In the news here at WPC the Samsung Mandel has cleared the FCC with ATT 4G LTE release date is surprisingly a big ?? Who knows maybe sometime in March or April? I hope so. It appears to be the Samsung Galaxy II Skyrocket with WP instead of Android.

Some will be going blah blah is just using Android hardware cases with WP inards. I say so what if it gets WP further along the Apollo route quicker GREAT!!!

It just cleared the FCC today it appears to be the Samsung Galaxy II Skyrocket with WP innards! Bring it on ATT this month or next!

Last edited by a moderator:

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I want this phone. I was really looking forward to a new Samsung windows phone with LTE, but kind of got myself to like the Lumia 900 after it seemed like Samsung had forgotten about the Mandel. Now that it's back it will be very difficult for me to decide between the two devices. Of course the Samsung will definitely be priced higher than the asking price for the Lumia 900 (100$), but I love Samsung's designs. Hopefully Samsung will back this device and get out any problems it may have.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Let's do it!!!
If this phone has over a 2000 mAp battery, over 8mp camera, and a strong exterior, it will be mine.
If not, I still have the Lumia 900. Time to make a difficult decision.
I hope it's not just a Skyrocket, not that the Skyrocket has anything wrong with it, but I want an upgrade, not just the same old thing with a different processor. Don't do me wrong Samsung!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Last we heard, Samsung was very determined to put out a great WP device. They were very disappointed in the sales of the Focus S and the Focus Flash/Omni W. They seemed very focused (pun completely intended) on putting out a device just for WP and making it an elite device. Problem is, I do not think they were planning to release another phone until Apollo was available. If so, the wait on the Mandel may be long. But it will be a WP exclusive, and most likely a monster. I feel that a ticked off Samsung will knock ot out of the park and give both HTC and Nokia a run for the money. Well worth the wait.

If this is just the Skyrocket with live tiles instead of boring Android grids, than I will be happily surprised. I bet it will sing a ton better on Windows than on Android. Plus, it will be nice to have several new WPs on the market to keep our favorite OS on peoples mind until Apollo comes and WP really starts to grab market share.

Last edited:

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I hope it isn't a Skyrocket with windows 7.5, that is somewhat boring. I want a standout feature that will get everyone off the Nokia bandwagon (that I'm not too as of right now) and buy the "Mandel" instead. Personally, I think 32 GB would do that without a doubt. Also a 10 or 12 mp camera and/or a huge battery. I love Samsung's designs, their camera quality, and their super AMOLED plus displays.

I don't think this will be a windows 8 phone personally. If you look at the dimensions they'd be hard pressed to put a 4.5 screen or higher on to this thing, it's smaller than the Focus S. I personally think it will have a 4.3 inch screen that spreads across the entire design. If Samsung decides to release it during CTIA in May, it will be too late. To be successful this device needs to be released within the next 6 weeks or late this year with Apollo.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Problem is you can't create standout features on Mango.

Sure they can add S AMOLED, but 900 has CBD that is just as good, if not even better(it needs to be SAMOLED plus to match CBD on 900 that does not have pentile screen, like the basic SAMOLED), resolution is maxed out on 900. Memory as far as i have understood can't go up from 16GB on Mango? SD cards are of course not supported. Nokia had 64GB internal memory on N9 that has the same shell as 800.

I rather take the support, design and apps on 900. You can't make true differences on Mango with all being tied to exactly same system on chip and weak hardware support of the OS. NFC, PureView being just one of the many.

Also never liked the cheap feeling plastic slaps from Samsung.
Though differences we might see is camera and battery.

Last edited:

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
All of that is true except I'm pretty sure they can have 32 GB of internal storage like the N900 or Apple Iphone's. That may not be true, if it's not that'd be interesting to know, but if it is true than Samsung definitely needs to do that. I love the design of the Samsungs, it's very friendly and simple. Yeah the quality could be better, but they substitute it with thin and light phones. To each his own.
Point is, Samsung HAS to do something to get sales higher than what the Focus S was and simply adding LTE will definitely not do so. If that's the only difference they make from the Focus S than even my Samsung loving self will buy the Lumia 900.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
All of that is true except I'm pretty sure they can have 32 GB of internal storage like the N900 or Apple Iphone's. That may not be true, if it's not that'd be interesting to know, but if it is true than Samsung definitely needs to do that. I love the design of the Samsungs, it's very friendly and simple. Yeah the quality could be better, but they substitute it with thin and light phones. To each his own.
Point is, Samsung HAS to do something to get sales higher than what the Focus S was and simply adding LTE will definitely not do so. If that's the only difference they make from the Focus S than even my Samsung loving self will buy the Lumia 900.

you are correct, 32GB is supported and, there have been a few WP's out there with that. The DVP was offered in 8GB, 16GB and 32GB options and the Fujitsu is a 32GB phone as well. additionally I have heard of more than a few folks with 1st Gen Focuses (Foci?) who are running a 32GB memory card in their phones so, there is no question about whether WP supports up to 32GB, the question for me is when will the manufacturers give us some new 32GB+ WP options!

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
you are correct, 32GB is supported and, there have been a few WP's out there with that. The DVP was offered in 8GB, 16GB and 32GB options and the Fujitsu is a 32GB phone as well. additionally I have heard of more than a few folks with 1st Gen Focuses (Foci?) who are running a 32GB memory card in their phones so, there is no question about whether WP supports up to 32GB, the question for me is when will the manufacturers give us some new 32GB+ WP options!
Surprised Nokia didn't do this. Maybe Samsung will step it up.

doejoe007

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Mandel is 8GB. The screen is amazing (little better than Lumia 900 imho, blows Titan 1/2 out of the water).

The device is very solid. Imho this device blows Lumia 800/710 out of the water. 4G LTE, microsim, FFC.

ATT is preparing for a WP7 blitz with Lumia 900, Titan 2 and Mandel leading the charge (targeting different segments, mandel being the low cost alternative).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos