Verizon Wireless "Not enough security"

psustudent21

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I called Verizon Wireless about when any Windows Phone devices will be on their network. The lady on the phone started saying that I know you are frustrated and everything but Windows Phone doesn't stand up to the Security that we need to put it on our network.

Verizon spewing lies about Windows Phone to try to cover up their denying Nokia. Talk about terrible customer service!

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Also nonsensical because the HTC Trophy, which Verizon sells, has the exact same operating system as the cool new Nokia WP phones hitting the market. *facepalm*

psustudent21

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I have also found Steve Ballmer's email address and sent him an email about what Verizon said to me and also said that I was frustrated that no high quality phones were on the network.

He responded with this message

"Verizon is now seeing the phones that get them excited this is being addressed thanks"

So hopefully we will see something soon from then and not have to wait until Windows 8.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with a Verizon rep online last Saturday night and here's what she had to say. Some of it made me roll my eyes. She also said I could download the newest update (8107) from "Microsoft/Window's website." (Another eyeroll.)

Also, I've taken out the rep's name, since I don't want her to get in trouble. She was very helpful with my actual problem, but when she asked if I had any more questions, I couldn't resist, haha.

I've replaced her name with REP, though.

You: What about a 4G LTE HTC phone? There have been rumors of those on Verizon.
REP: I own a 4G HTC Rezound. So HTC and Droid products are my specialty.
You: Sorry. I meant 4G LTE HTC Windows Phone. Have you heard anything about that?
REP: I do know every brand(Motorola, HTC etc) is working on building a windows phone.
You: That's comforting. I just hope one gets here before September. I don't want to wait that long.
REP: If I had a date I'd tell you.
You: In case you didn't know, Windows Phone 8 is rumored for this fall, when Windows 8 releases.
REP: Thank you. I had someone ask me that earlier and didn't know anything about it.
You: Alright. Well, AT&T still hasn't even given a date for the Lumia 900, so I wouldn't expect a date for an unannounced Verizon phone.
You: It makes sense.
REP: True. If I had it I'd give it to you. I'd be happy to do a double check on it.
You: Don't worry about it. I wouldn't expect that, unless you have a non-public Verizon roadmap. :)
REP: I'm allowed to give out release dates. Smiles.
You: Even ones that aren't widely known?
REP: It's up on my site but says to be determined.
You: Do you have any information about it?
You: Like brand?
You: Or even better, codename? Smiles.
REP: No, that I don't see yet. The look is suppose to be different though.
You: Ooooh!
You: I wonder what that means.
REP: It's still windows based but the look is a bit different. The screen setup maybe?
You: Oh no! I hope it isn't one of those rumored blackberry-esque screens. Where half of it is a screen and half is a physical keyboard.
You: That wouldn't surprise me on Verizon, though.
You: It is very business-centric.
REP: No, it's not. The phone looks the same as the Trophy it's the way it's organized.
REP: Believe it or not, Verizon doesn't decied how the phones are designed the makers do.
REP: If you ever want to find out more information on this call 1-800-922-0204.
You: Yes, but doesn't Verizon accept or reject phones? I just don't understand why AT&T has had 9 (8+1 rumored) in the time Verizon has gotten one.
REP: We don't reject the phones. It's the company and who the partner with.

I took everything she said with a massive grain of salt, though. She didn't even know how to update to .8107 and she said that she's only heard bad things about the Lumia 900. :facepalm:

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store today just to browse around. I told the rep I wasn't up for an upgrade & he asked what phone I had. I told him a trophy & to my surprise he also had one...apparently that's what they gave him. Not sure why because i don't even think they had any there to sell. Anyway, he told me that since I had an HTC, maybe id like the HTC rezound, since I'm familiar with HTC...i thought to myself that this was a pretty ridiculous suggestion as the rezound is running android but w/e. Anyway, I asked if they were getting any nokias and he said he thought they were getting something. I told him I knew att was getting them. This caught the attention of another rep that said Nokia had a good relationship with att but that they are trying to make a push and couldn't afford to just go with the one carrier or w/e. Pretty funny if the reports of turning down Nokia phones is to be believed. Personally I don't put much into what these reps are saying...

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with a Verizon rep online last Saturday night and here's what she had to say. Some of it made me roll my eyes. She also said I could download the newest update (8107) from "Microsoft/Window's website." (Another eyeroll.)

Also, I've taken out the rep's name, since I don't want her to get in trouble. She was very helpful with my actual problem, but when she asked if I had any more questions, I couldn't resist, haha.

I've replaced her name with REP, though.

I took everything she said with a massive grain of salt, though. She didn't even know how to update to .8107 and she said that she's only heard bad things about the Lumia 900. :facepalm:

She clearly said droid was her specialty. Why are you hostile when she laid it out fairly succinctly at the start of the conversation.

And why are people wasting the carrier's time trying to entrap reps?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I finally talked to some "higher ups" about this and they said we'll have some kind of Windows Phone (possibly Apollo) by the time Trophy adopters will be eligible for Early Upgrades, New Every 2's, etc. An early upgrade is 14 months or so, and the Trophy launched in may so I would expect a fall Windows Phone on Verizon. It will be probably be midrange and LTE, but that's just my speculation. The one in our 4G LTE promos looks like a Rezound with live tiles so I dunno. It'll almost definitely be a HTC though because Verizon jocks HTC and Moto hard.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I finally talked to some "higher ups" about this and they said we'll have some kind of Windows Phone (possibly Apollo) by the time Trophy adopters will be eligible for Early Upgrades, New Every 2's, etc. An early upgrade is 14 months or so, and the Trophy launched in may so I would expect a fall Windows Phone on Verizon. It will be probably be midrange and LTE, but that's just my speculation. The one in our 4G LTE promos looks like a Rezound with live tiles so I dunno. It'll almost definitely be a HTC though because Verizon jocks HTC and Moto hard.

Early upgrade is 20 months now.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
She clearly said droid was her specialty. Why are you hostile when she laid it out fairly succinctly at the start of the conversation.

And why are people wasting the carrier's time trying to entrap reps?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I clearly said that the quote wasn't from the beginning of the conversation. I had a problem with a hotspot and we ended up on the topic of Windows Phones when she asked if I had any other questions. In fact, I had already asked if she knew anything about the Trophy (my phone) earlier in the conversation, to which she responded that her husband actually has it and loves it.

Also, there was never any intention on my part to try to ensnare a rep. I even went out of my way to edit out her name in benevolence and rated our conversation 9/10. I was genuinely curious about Windows Phone and wanted to see what she could dig up. I don't find that is unfair or foolish. I went in with low expectations, and found the results laughable, so I thought I'd share.

I wasn't trying to be hostile, either. I was actually trying to be pretty light-hearted. I am sincerely sorry that I misconstrued that. I write extremely dryly and this isn't the first time that people have misread my tone.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean you specifically for all of that. That is why I used the general term "people." Ever since this OS was released all you see on blogs and sites like Engadget/BGR are PEOPLE trying to entrap reps by uselessly starting live chat sessions just to drill them about an OS that, really, hardly anyone uses in the grand scheme of things. There are at least 10 threads on here and XDA dealing with the same thing.

Most of us have experienced it. I remember going into the Corporate T-Mobile store in Lake Charles, La and the Rep plainly/bluntly said not to even consider the HD7. Her face was completely straight and she was serious. I stated it somewhere, and I still got the phone. Everyone has biases, reps included, and sales people are primarily there to sell you the plan, not necessarily the device. That's what the carrier makes most of its money from. Whether you get an iPhone or a Trophy or a Torch or a Rezound they still are primarily concerned with you signing a 2 year contract with a high rate/SMS/data plan. Aside from commission differences (which really aren't that huge of a deal since most of the phones that pay high commission sell themselves anyways, i.e. iDevices) that's all that matters to them.

Simply get the phone you want. If you know about this forum there's nothing a rep can tell you that you can't find out here, probably before you're even at the top of the queue there.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Early upgrade is 20 months now.
20 months is just a standard upgrade man.

An "early upgrade" or an "EU" on my end, is when a customer can upgrade after like 12 or 14 months, but they have to pay an additional $20 for the phone. We don't offer it anymore though because $20 doesn't quite cover subsidizing a $650 iPhone.

As far as commission goes, it's all about the plans. At Verizon, you could buy the ****tiest Android, or the 64GB iPhone 4S and I would get the same commission. The ONLY device we get any kind of SPIFF for is the The New iPad. The only reason a rep wants you to get a specific phone is because of return rates. iPhones generally have the lowest return rate ever, so the reps obviously want you to buy that because a crappy return rate hurts your sales dollars commission.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
20 months is just a standard upgrade man.

An "early upgrade" or an "EU" on my end, is when a customer can upgrade after like 12 or 14 months, but they have to pay an additional $20 for the phone. We don't offer it anymore though because $20 doesn't quite cover subsidizing a $650 iPhone.

As far as commission goes, it's all about the plans. At Verizon, you could buy the ****tiest Android, or the 64GB iPhone 4S and I would get the same commission. The ONLY device we get any kind of SPIFF for is the The New iPad. The only reason a rep wants you to get a specific phone is because of return rates. iPhones generally have the lowest return rate ever, so the reps obviously want you to buy that because a crappy return rate hurts your sales dollars commission.

I never said anything about commission so idk why you are going on a rant about that lmao.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the rep's full time job is probably baking bread at home....every time I hear about one of these reps saying something I think about this scene from Beavis and Butthead:

really....don't ever believe something a first tier rep tells you unless its the word goodbye.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
For whatever it is worth, I've met 2 different 1st party VZW store reps who personally own the HTC Trophy, and both were very complimentary towards it. (One of the reps was the Verizon FiOS salesperson at that particular store, so that guy didn't have any dogs in the smartphone fight.) When I asked the non-FiOS rep about the Trophy (this was at Thanksgiving, before I bought my own Trophy), I noticed her fellow sales rep was antsy about her complimenting the Trophy - he probably has been told or personally wants to push Android smartphones hard.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Given the security issues with Android, anytime Verizon claims WP7 is not secure enough is BS. Its a pretty obvious tell that since they can't put bloatware on it and make extra $$$ and that the OEM's are not producing any real CDMA offerings is the true issue.

Again I would happily switch to AT&T and get an unlocked imported WP8 device for overseas but AT&T is just so lacking in my market.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs