What do you all think? VZW Lumia

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Most people couldn't pay $600 up front for a smartphone, and you couldn't finance a smartphone because a smartphone, unlike a car, isn't collateral that a lender could feasibly repossess. The subsidies are the only way most Americans can afford smartphones.

Honestly, if Europeans could buy Nokia N95 for 600-800 euros back in 2007 and the phone sold over 17 million, i'm sure North Americans can.

If you can't buy the phone for it's real price, you shouldn't be able to buy it on contract as you end up paying more in a long term anyways. North America being tied to the carriers and paying more from data than Europe and Asia is still mainly because there's no competitor for the carrier model.

Here in Finland many own two mobile data contracts. One for your phone and one LTE or HSDPA plus contract for your laptop (needed for summer cottage use). There's no data caps in any contract, you always only pay for the speed.
Every operator has all of the phones. There's no exclusives on one operator, there can't be.

Last edited:

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
You can call it whatever you want. The fact remains we have been getting screwed for so long we think it's the way it should be and everyone else is in fact wrong. Way wrong answer.

Frenzytom

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Most people couldn't pay $600 up front for a smartphone, and you couldn't finance a smartphone because a smartphone, unlike a car, isn't collateral that a lender could feasibly repossess. The subsidies are the only way most Americans can afford smartphones.

False. If that was the case so many people wouldn't be willing to import unlocked phones for $500+ dollars to the US.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
The carrier subsidy model is bad for consumers and bad for companies. It's entirely possible that Sprint will go under if they can't sell enough iPhones, because Apple forced them to purchase so many. And for consumers, we get locked into a long-term expensive contract to save some money on the front end, but then we get have no flexibility.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The carrier subsidy model is bad for consumers and bad for companies. It's entirely possible that Sprint will go under if they can't sell enough iPhones, because Apple forced them to purchase so many. And for consumers, we get locked into a long-term expensive contract to save some money on the front end, but then we get have no flexibility.

Apple didn't force them to buy any, that was all on sprint and wasting all that money to get an iphone.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The real problem is people buying things they can't afford. (which I type on my carrier-subsidized device :p) The carriers are enabling us. Either you can afford it or you can't. I'm almost 33 years old and I've never had a car payment-I've always only driven vehicles I can afford to pay cash for. I've driven some real clunkers, but one nice thing about it is if I come up short a couple months in a row I can still drive to work. I've already decided this is my first and last subsidized phone.

PS: Red 900 is HOT! I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I had a red BB 8830 and it looked amazing compared to the silver and black models. I even have a blue one from AT&T. Colored phones destroy the black version visually. Look at some of the wild colors Japanese phones come in.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
False. If that was the case so many people wouldn't be willing to import unlocked phones for $500+ dollars to the US.

What percentage of cell phone users pay cash for an unlocked phone and then just get a data plan for it? 1%? A tenth of a percent? Less? I know it's a vocal minority on enthusiast forums, but I can't imagine it's a large portion of the market.

Americans are used to financing things. Cars, homes, etc. Buying subsidized phones and then paying inflated prices for data plans fits into the way we're used to buying things. I'm not saying that's right, but it's the way most Americans think. Americans would balk at paying $600 for a phone up front instead of $99 for a phone, even if they paid $25 per month less for their plan for two years. In that case, you're better off paying $600 up front and paying $25/month less, instead of paying $99 up front and paying $25/month more (you save $100 over the course of two years), but most Americans don't think that way.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I will be in line waiting for this...so I will need your address :p . That would make an excellent Product Red phone for sure man.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Americans would balk at paying $600 for a phone up front instead of $99 for a phone, even if they paid $25 per month less for their plan for two years.
That's kind of a broad statement. I would, and I think a lot of people would pay up front for their phone if it meant lower rates. But in the US, rates are the same whether you're on a subsidized phone or not. So unless you're planning on switching carriers in less than 2 years, you'd really be a fool NOT to take the subsidy, since there is no incentive for paying for your phone outright.

If one of the big US carriers decides to change its ways, then the others might have to follow suit. But don't count on that happening. We're stuck with this model, like it or not.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think T-Mobile is the only people changing the rules. I think it's in stores but they are selling phones (4G handsets some) like the 710 for 200 for their monthly 4g plans which is non contract.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just tinkering with getting a general feel on what the Lumia would look like IF Verizon would get the Lumia 900. Can't we dream huh?

nice photo shop dude i wish they did have red one now for att i would have gotten that instead of black. go bulls.... (chicago bulls see red baby all day)

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

It costs 209 dollars to make the Lumia 900, reportedly, and they are selling it for 450 dollars off contract...There is no real incentive for phone companies to lower the cost of devices because the subsidy creates artificial competition: 100 on contract vs 200 contract is a much smaller jump than 450 vs 550

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
The Lumina 900 retails for $499, so its a lot less expensive than most Android & iPhones and its a solid device. Consumers in the US have been duped into thinking they must sign a contract and they should only want to get a subsidized phone.

My current phone was a retail purchase and my next phone will be as well. No more carrier subsidies for me and no more contracts.

The carriers charge $350-375 to cancel a smartphone line since they are subsidizing the phone, so why not let the consumer pay 50% up front and pay the balance off over 18 months or pay in full, their choice. Simple, the carriers want us bent over and asking to have another.

We don't have real competition in the US, we have AT&T & Verizon. T-Mo & Sprint are so far behind in coverage, product selection and everything else you really don't have much choice unlike in the EU.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos