Fingerprint readers on WP?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a few Android phones with fingerprint readers and want one on a WP. Has anyone heard any rumors? Are they even supported on WP 7.5? Any announcements for support in WP8?

nivekv

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
The only way this would ever happen would be if they implemented PixelSense (developed my Microsoft with Samsung for use in the Surface table). Other than that, the hardware is too bulky and would only cater to a small number of users.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The only way this would ever happen would be if they implemented PixelSense (developed my Microsoft with Samsung for use in the Surface table). Other than that, the hardware is too bulky and would only cater to a small number of users.
In my experience business users don't mind bulky. We want features and security above form. Microsoft has announced that WP8 will finally deliver more business-related features. I'm hoping this is one of them!

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Is this for locking & unlocking the phone? If so I'd love a phone like that too! You already have touch it for everything else so why not this too?

typoink

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
In my experience business users don't mind bulky.

The problem is that catering to business users has failed as a business model. That's why RIM and WM failed; they were stuck in the mindset of "business users want LOTS of features and don't care about polish or refinement."

The iPhone pretty well proved that, even if that's true, the money is in making devices consumers want.

I'd like a fingerprint reader (and love it on my laptop), but I think it's a niche feature.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. We've messed with them on our laptops and they are just not consistant enough. Often times you end up swiping your finger 4 or 5 times before it finally takes. I'd rather have face unlock, but it needs to be way better then Android's since that can be unlocked with a simple picture. But it does work fast.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. We've messed with them on our laptops and they are just not consistant enough. Often times you end up swiping your finger 4 or 5 times before it finally takes. I'd rather have face unlock, but it needs to be way better then Android's since that can be unlocked with a simple picture. But it does work fast.
I have a fingerprint reader and a face recognition unlock on my laptop. The fingerprint reader is nearly flawless while the face recognition needs certain lighting conditions to work. Of course I don't want one that doesn't work reliably, but reliable fingerprint readers are for sure available!

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that catering to business users has failed as a business model. That's why RIM and WM failed; they were stuck in the mindset of "business users want LOTS of features and don't care about polish or refinement."

The iPhone pretty well proved that, even if that's true, the money is in making devices consumers want.

I'd like a fingerprint reader (and love it on my laptop), but I think it's a niche feature.
It's absolutely a niche feature and I want it! Hardware manufacturers are going to have to differentiate themselves somehow and I hope this is one way. Waterproofing (outside of Japan) would also be awesome!

rbf1337

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
It's absolutely a niche feature and I want it! Hardware manufacturers are going to have to differentiate themselves somehow and I hope this is one way. Waterproofing (outside of Japan) would also be awesome!

HzO is courting manufactures to license their tech during the assembly process.

<link removed by moderator>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb