The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I've seen a few Android phones with fingerprint readers and want one on a WP. Has anyone heard any rumors? Are they even supported on WP 7.5? Any announcements for support in WP8?
    04-22-2012 10:13 PM
    One feature that I miss from old Motorola atrix 4g.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
    04-22-2012 10:29 PM
    The only way this would ever happen would be if they implemented PixelSense (developed my Microsoft with Samsung for use in the Surface table). Other than that, the hardware is too bulky and would only cater to a small number of users.
    04-23-2012 12:05 AM
    The only way this would ever happen would be if they implemented PixelSense (developed my Microsoft with Samsung for use in the Surface table). Other than that, the hardware is too bulky and would only cater to a small number of users.
    In my experience business users don't mind bulky. We want features and security above form. Microsoft has announced that WP8 will finally deliver more business-related features. I'm hoping this is one of them!
    04-23-2012 12:33 AM
    Is this for locking & unlocking the phone? If so I'd love a phone like that too! You already have touch it for everything else so why not this too?
    04-23-2012 05:11 PM
    here is a finger print reader for your amusement :) lol

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...9-e8cba3f4bb62
    04-24-2012 09:30 AM
    In my experience business users don't mind bulky.
    The problem is that catering to business users has failed as a business model. That's why RIM and WM failed; they were stuck in the mindset of "business users want LOTS of features and don't care about polish or refinement."

The iPhone pretty well proved that, even if that's true, the money is in making devices consumers want.

I'd like a fingerprint reader (and love it on my laptop), but I think it's a niche feature.
    04-24-2012 04:09 PM
    I don't know. We've messed with them on our laptops and they are just not consistant enough. Often times you end up swiping your finger 4 or 5 times before it finally takes. I'd rather have face unlock, but it needs to be way better then Android's since that can be unlocked with a simple picture. But it does work fast.
    04-25-2012 01:46 PM
    I don't know. We've messed with them on our laptops and they are just not consistant enough. Often times you end up swiping your finger 4 or 5 times before it finally takes. I'd rather have face unlock, but it needs to be way better then Android's since that can be unlocked with a simple picture. But it does work fast.
    I have a fingerprint reader and a face recognition unlock on my laptop. The fingerprint reader is nearly flawless while the face recognition needs certain lighting conditions to work. Of course I don't want one that doesn't work reliably, but reliable fingerprint readers are for sure available!
    04-25-2012 07:41 PM
    The problem is that catering to business users has failed as a business model. That's why RIM and WM failed; they were stuck in the mindset of "business users want LOTS of features and don't care about polish or refinement."

The iPhone pretty well proved that, even if that's true, the money is in making devices consumers want.

I'd like a fingerprint reader (and love it on my laptop), but I think it's a niche feature.
    It's absolutely a niche feature and I want it! Hardware manufacturers are going to have to differentiate themselves somehow and I hope this is one way. Waterproofing (outside of Japan) would also be awesome!
    04-25-2012 07:43 PM
    How about we just shove a chip up everyones rear end and call it a day.
    AKA Preluva and willied like this.
    04-27-2012 12:28 PM
    It's absolutely a niche feature and I want it! Hardware manufacturers are going to have to differentiate themselves somehow and I hope this is one way. Waterproofing (outside of Japan) would also be awesome!
    HzO is courting manufactures to license their tech during the assembly process.

<link removed by moderator>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08-12-2014 at 01:18 PM.
    04-29-2012 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD