News for you Verizon bros

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, we aren't going to be getting a Nokia because of the data loss issue on the Lumia 900. Doesn't make sense to me though because we've launched tons of phones with connectivity issues (GNex, X2, 4S, Rezound) and just done an update later.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, we aren't going to be getting a Nokia because of the data loss issue on the Lumia 900. Doesn't make sense to me though because we've launched tons of phones with connectivity issues (GNex, X2, 4S, Rezound) and just done an update later.

That's already been fixed anyway.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

that is because the nexus continues to have issues since it uses crap radios. The 4s never had connectivity issues though...

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The data problem was existing 3G SIMs into 4G devices (and not even all...) - Verizon isn't going to have that problem, so if they're worried about it they're frankly clueless (although that wouldn't surprise me, I suppose). I do hope my Verizon brethren get WP device choices, and I know part of the reason they haven't is because of VZW's requirement for all phones on their network to be LTE devices, but I would hate to see another repeat of one device option long-term. It just seems VZW has hitched their ship to Android and sell the iPhone because they have to (basically) to be "hip and cool".

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
The data problem was existing 3G SIMs into 4G devices (and not even all...) - Verizon isn't going to have that problem, so if they're worried about it they're frankly clueless (although that wouldn't surprise me, I suppose). I do hope my Verizon brethren get WP device choices, and I know part of the reason they haven't is because of VZW's requirement for all phones on their network to be LTE devices, but I would hate to see another repeat of one device option long-term. It just seems VZW has hitched their ship to Android and sell the iPhone because they have to (basically) to be "hip and cool".

Or because at 1.7% marketshare, WP7 isn't worth it to them? I'm pretty sure Verizon's business decisions aren't decided by a "hip and cool" quotient, but revenue projections.
And the decision to switch to LTE is a good one. It makes sense for Verizon and for customers. LTE is awesome.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I've learned over the past year that Verizon is great at making nonsensical and hypocritical excuses/lies in order to attempt to shape the market to their liking. Like this one, which makes no sense. They can launch the HTC Thunderbolt that dies after 3 hours of usage but they can't release a phone that had a bug patched a few days after launch? Uh-huh.

If AT&T's new family data plan is good, I probably will move off of Verizon next year as Verizon seems to care little about the end user - though they do put on a good show pretending that they do.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Cool, I'm still keeping an eye out for new WP based phones on VZW. If VZW brings a model with LTE I'd be all over it and probably end up paying the premium mid-contract price to jump from my Gnexus to the WP7.x/8 phone. It's not that I hate my current phone, it's that I also love the WP interface and also about 50% of it is I want Zune integration since I use the subscription service and it would be nice to get rid of having a phone and an mp3 player separate.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I've learned over the past year that Verizon is great at making nonsensical and hypocritical excuses/lies in order to attempt to shape the market to their liking. Like this one, which makes no sense. They can launch the HTC Thunderbolt that dies after 3 hours of usage but they can't release a phone that had a bug patched a few days after launch? Uh-huh.

If AT&T's new family data plan is good, I probably will move off of Verizon next year as Verizon seems to care little about the end user - though they do put on a good show pretending that they do.

We're gonna have shared data way before AT&T does. You can trust me on that one.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a mistake on Verizon's part. The only reasons I have stayed on big red is because of the coverage and my unlimited data. Verizon: You can keep your unlimited data plan, but no subsidized phones - Gadgetbox on msnbc.com

If I have to pay $800 - $900 (full phone price) to keep my unlimited data plan, or go to a limited data plan, I'll be more likely to shop around. Especially if Verizon only has a limited selection of WP7 and WP8 devices.

If you look at the full retail price of the Nokia Lumia 900, it's only $449.99. That's a far cry from $800 to $900 and only $350 over the subsidized price. Spread that out over 2 years and some people would be glad to pay to keep their unlimited data.

I, however, do not use much data per month so giving up my unlimited data would not be a problem even if I still had it.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the full retail price of the Nokia Lumia 900, it's only $449.99. That's a far cry from $800 to $900 and only $350 over the subsidized price. Spread that out over 2 years and some people would be glad to pay to keep their unlimited data.

I, however, do not use much data per month so giving up my unlimited data would not be a problem even if I still had it.

Good point.
I was just kinda rounding up for WP8 devices. If WP8s stick to the same price point as the current hero devices, it will make it harder for me to give up unlimited and the kind of coverage that Verizon has.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Good point.
I was just kinda rounding up for WP8 devices. If WP8s stick to the same price point as the current hero devices, it will make it harder for me to give up unlimited and the kind of coverage that Verizon has.

Yeah, the WP7 phones don't seem to have retail prices that are nearly as high as the iPhone or high-end Android phones. If WP8 phones come to Verizon at the same price point as the Lumia 900, I'll gladly ditch my iPhone and come back to WP.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a mistake on Verizon's part. The only reasons I have stayed on big red is because of the coverage and my unlimited data. Verizon: You can keep your unlimited data plan, but no subsidized phones - Gadgetbox on msnbc.com

If I have to pay $800 - $900 (full phone price) to keep my unlimited data plan, or go to a limited data plan, I'll be more likely to shop around. Especially if Verizon only has a limited selection of WP7 and WP8 devices.

Out of curiosity who would you switch to? Sprint and T-Mobile have unlimited (for now), but their coverage isn't as good in my area as Verizon and AT&T.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99