Leaked photos of Windows Phone 8

JustinMSalvato

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Be sure to be logged in to view the photos:

colecoadamwordpresscom-albums41-151.jpg

With the word "Start" (takes up too much space)

colecoadamwordpresscom-albums41-152.jpg

colecoadamwordpresscom-albums41-153.jpg

Without the word "Start"

colecoadamwordpresscom-albums41-154.jpg

colecoadamwordpresscom-albums41-155.jpg
colecoadamwordpresscom-albums41-156.jpg

Portrait versus landscape

Ok, these aren't real, but just some ideas I had =)

Keep 2 things in mind:
1) talk is that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 will be VERY similar
2) you can customize your start screen

Last edited:

rbf1337

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Yuck. I hope they do NOT drop the current layout of WP7 for the Windows 8 consumer preview style tiles. The Windows 8 layout is just no where near as slick looking as WP7's hip Zune style. Windows 8 'metro' has been watered down and looks dull compared to WP7. I get that apps in Windows 8 will need to be different based on the massive resolutions and wide angle screens, but so far the basic apps from MS are extremely bland and I've only seen a few apps from other developers that capture the same feel we get in WP7.

Just my 2 copper.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of the tiles re-orienting when you turn it. I'm a slider user and will probably stay that way unless Sprint comes out with a very large screen phone. It would be nice if it would actually do that.

JustinMSalvato

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually

Yuck. I hope they do NOT drop the current layout of WP7 for the Windows 8 consumer preview style tiles. The Windows 8 layout is just no where near as slick looking as WP7's hip Zune style. Windows 8 'metro' has been watered down and looks dull compared to WP7. I get that apps in Windows 8 will need to be different based on the massive resolutions and wide angle screens, but so far the basic apps from MS are extremely bland and I've only seen a few apps from other developers that capture the same feel we get in WP7.

Just my 2 copper.

If the UI goes vertical and horizontal without diagonal, like it does today, then this could work. However, I will say that the current UI on Windows Phone is excellent and will be difficult to just throw away (although they are not that much different).

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm really skeptical about having much more interface as horizontally scrolling as it is already. I think the paradigm of Windows Phone is a good one - horizontal swipe to switch pivots / tasks, vertical swipe to access more content around the current pivot / task.

I like the little labels for groups of tiles - I use Groupy for a similar effect - and am a big fan of how you've shown backgrounds don't have to detract from the Metro experience. I do have a query about it though - would third-party apps remain monochromatic? Windows Phone's Metro feels much more systematic and serious than Windows 8's.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually OK with the horizontal tiles. I wouldn't mind that at all, as long as there is an easy way to orientation lock.

It's one of the things I don't like about Android and iPhone actually, that you can't horizontally orientate the home screen. Maybe there is a good reason for that that I am missing?

Anything that puts fewer tiles on the screen, I do NOT like though. If anything, I would like to have the option to have 3 tiles across if they raise resolution to 1280x720.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I like the horizontal option, and kinda wish i had it on my Lumia. I do prefer the Mango style graphics over the WIN8...on my phone anyway. I use Win8CP at home and really hope there are more options for color and style and background behind the tiles. The Beta version is a bit sophomoric in this area.

JustinMSalvato

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 Start screen labels

I'm really skeptical about having much more interface as horizontally scrolling as it is already. I think the paradigm of Windows Phone is a good one - horizontal swipe to switch pivots / tasks, vertical swipe to access more content around the current pivot / task.

I like the little labels for groups of tiles - I use Groupy for a similar effect - and am a big fan of how you've shown backgrounds don't have to detract from the Metro experience. I do have a query about it though - would third-party apps remain monochromatic? Windows Phone's Metro feels much more systematic and serious than Windows 8's.

I took the screen shots of the backgrounds from the Windows 8 Consumer Preview I'm using on my laptop. I made a video about the labels/headings: Windows 8 is easy: Making columns & labels on Start screen. - YouTube

youtube.com/justin76pa

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually OK with the horizontal tiles. I wouldn't mind that at all, as long as there is an easy way to orientation lock.
I'm guessing you're suggest a landscape mode with horizontal scrolling? I'd be curious how they'd implement the app list in landscape, or the panorama interface.

I took the screen shots of the backgrounds from the Windows 8 Consumer Preview I'm using on my laptop.
Yep, I'm well aware of the happenings with Windows 8. I'm not fully convinced on a horizontal layout in portrait mode, though. This is the biggest challenge I see when people suggest that Windows 8 should trickle down to the phone - tablets, laptops and desktops are in landscape by default, but phones are in portrait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb