The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-27-2012 04:54 AM
34 12
tools
    Be sure to be logged in to view the photos:

With the word "Start" (takes up too much space)

Without the word "Start"

Portrait versus landscape

Ok, these aren't real, but just some ideas I had =)

Keep 2 things in mind:
    1) talk is that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 will be VERY similar
    2) you can customize your start screen
    Last edited by ColecoAdamWordpressCom; 04-28-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: want to make sure people are logged in to view photos
    04-27-2012 07:25 PM
    04-27-2012 09:13 PM
    So... you like it? ;)
    04-27-2012 09:16 PM
    I like it :)
    good job
    04-28-2012 02:01 PM
    can't stop watching the dog, can't stop laaaaughing :lol:
    soulzero likes this.
    04-28-2012 02:13 PM
    can't stop watching the dog, can't stop laaaaughing :lol:
    LOL, me too.
    04-28-2012 02:46 PM
    my sentiments exactly
    04-28-2012 07:35 PM
    Your renderings look nice, but I don't think that would be a very ideal layout for phones.
    stevovr likes this.
    04-29-2012 10:51 AM
    Yuck. I hope they do NOT drop the current layout of WP7 for the Windows 8 consumer preview style tiles. The Windows 8 layout is just no where near as slick looking as WP7's hip Zune style. Windows 8 'metro' has been watered down and looks dull compared to WP7. I get that apps in Windows 8 will need to be different based on the massive resolutions and wide angle screens, but so far the basic apps from MS are extremely bland and I've only seen a few apps from other developers that capture the same feel we get in WP7.

Just my 2 copper.
    04-29-2012 02:14 PM
    I like the idea of the tiles re-orienting when you turn it. I'm a slider user and will probably stay that way unless Sprint comes out with a very large screen phone. It would be nice if it would actually do that.
    Honestabebread likes this.
    04-29-2012 02:48 PM
    Yuck. I hope they do NOT drop the current layout of WP7 for the Windows 8 consumer preview style tiles. The Windows 8 layout is just no where near as slick looking as WP7's hip Zune style. Windows 8 'metro' has been watered down and looks dull compared to WP7. I get that apps in Windows 8 will need to be different based on the massive resolutions and wide angle screens, but so far the basic apps from MS are extremely bland and I've only seen a few apps from other developers that capture the same feel we get in WP7.

Just my 2 copper.
    If the UI goes vertical and horizontal without diagonal, like it does today, then this could work. However, I will say that the current UI on Windows Phone is excellent and will be difficult to just throw away (although they are not that much different).
    04-30-2012 04:18 AM
    I'm really skeptical about having much more interface as horizontally scrolling as it is already. I think the paradigm of Windows Phone is a good one - horizontal swipe to switch pivots / tasks, vertical swipe to access more content around the current pivot / task.

I like the little labels for groups of tiles - I use Groupy for a similar effect - and am a big fan of how you've shown backgrounds don't have to detract from the Metro experience. I do have a query about it though - would third-party apps remain monochromatic? Windows Phone's Metro feels much more systematic and serious than Windows 8's.
    04-30-2012 07:49 AM
    I'm actually OK with the horizontal tiles. I wouldn't mind that at all, as long as there is an easy way to orientation lock.

It's one of the things I don't like about Android and iPhone actually, that you can't horizontally orientate the home screen. Maybe there is a good reason for that that I am missing?

Anything that puts fewer tiles on the screen, I do NOT like though. If anything, I would like to have the option to have 3 tiles across if they raise resolution to 1280x720.
    04-30-2012 11:41 AM
    FAKE! thats just win8 CP screenshots photoshoped into a phone frame.

at least thats my thoughts.
    04-30-2012 12:08 PM
    FAKE! thats just win8 CP screenshots photoshoped into a phone frame.

at least thats my thoughts.

Can't tell if serious, haha

The OP made the shots...even said "these aren't real" FYI...not real = fake. :happy:;)
    04-30-2012 12:55 PM
    "Leaked" is an extremely misleading term for this thread. Mockup would have been more fitting...
    Mitlov likes this.
    04-30-2012 01:06 PM
    I like the horizontal option, and kinda wish i had it on my Lumia. I do prefer the Mango style graphics over the WIN8...on my phone anyway. I use Win8CP at home and really hope there are more options for color and style and background behind the tiles. The Beta version is a bit sophomoric in this area.
    04-30-2012 01:20 PM
    Can't tell if serious, haha

The OP made the shots...even said "these aren't real" FYI...not real = fake. :happy:;)
    Oh sorry, read "Leaked" and saw photos and jumped to conclusions....
    04-30-2012 02:18 PM
    I'm really skeptical about having much more interface as horizontally scrolling as it is already. I think the paradigm of Windows Phone is a good one - horizontal swipe to switch pivots / tasks, vertical swipe to access more content around the current pivot / task.

I like the little labels for groups of tiles - I use Groupy for a similar effect - and am a big fan of how you've shown backgrounds don't have to detract from the Metro experience. I do have a query about it though - would third-party apps remain monochromatic? Windows Phone's Metro feels much more systematic and serious than Windows 8's.
    I took the screen shots of the backgrounds from the Windows 8 Consumer Preview I'm using on my laptop. I made a video about the labels/headings:

youtube.com/justin76pa
    04-30-2012 02:44 PM
    I'm actually OK with the horizontal tiles. I wouldn't mind that at all, as long as there is an easy way to orientation lock.
    I'm guessing you're suggest a landscape mode with horizontal scrolling? I'd be curious how they'd implement the app list in landscape, or the panorama interface.

I took the screen shots of the backgrounds from the Windows 8 Consumer Preview I'm using on my laptop.
    Yep, I'm well aware of the happenings with Windows 8. I'm not fully convinced on a horizontal layout in portrait mode, though. This is the biggest challenge I see when people suggest that Windows 8 should trickle down to the phone - tablets, laptops and desktops are in landscape by default, but phones are in portrait.
    05-01-2012 04:39 AM
    I'm guessing you're suggest a landscape mode with horizontal scrolling? I'd be curious how they'd implement the app list in landscape, or the panorama interface.

Yep, I'm well aware of the happenings with Windows 8. I'm not fully convinced on a horizontal layout in portrait mode, though. This is the biggest challenge I see when people suggest that Windows 8 should trickle down to the phone - tablets, laptops and desktops are in landscape by default, but phones are in portrait.
    I'm sure you're quite aware, I'm just trying to get you to view my Windows 8 videos =)
    AngryNil likes this.
    05-01-2012 10:17 AM
    Windows 8 should be Windows Phone 7.5 + customization.
    05-01-2012 11:01 AM
    I'm sure you're quite aware, I'm just trying to get you to view my Windows 8 videos =)
    Heh, I'll bookmark it. I'm sure some tips would be handy when I decide to install the release preview (been too lazy to download the developer / consumer preview).
    05-02-2012 12:18 AM
    Windows 8 should be Windows Phone 7.5 + customization.
    Windows 8 = (Windows Phone 7.5+) + (Windows 7+)
    05-02-2012 03:28 AM
    Heh, I'll bookmark it. I'm sure some tips would be handy when I decide to install the release preview (been too lazy to download the developer / consumer preview).
    Wow, guess I'm a nut, cause I downloaded Developer & Consumer the same day they were released =)
    05-02-2012 03:29 AM
34 12