Windows Phone - is there a future?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it is I hope WP does only good enough to keep Microsoft developing for it and OEMs creating new devices. I like that they're not too popular as it keeps prices down. One cent is the most I've ever paid for a WP or WM and I want to keep that streak going!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
He wasn't wrong. Verizon was getting a Lumia 710 variant.. It was called the Phoenix (code name.. I dunno..) and it was supposed to be out at the start of this year. I saw a slide in a roadmap. Can't blame him that they went ahead and canned it.

Well he claimed it was going to be out in April (after a supposed Tmo exclusivity) so kind of confirms his lack of reliability.

And after listetining to a few of the Windows Weekly podcasts I wouldnt trust him 100% either, sometimes they really seem to have no clue what they are talking about. We'll just have to wait and see what happens in June.

rcciren

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm kinda intrigued by the need to keep looking at what's around the corner rather than making what's in your hand work for you now. I have a very keen interest in developments (afterall I've been in the PC industry for almost two decades and we driven the "what's next" hunger) but I also have a foot in the now. I need a phone and I need a good phone, so I've just plummed for the Lumia 900 now it's here in the UK. Some have asked me why not wait until WP8 phone because the growing concensus is that WP7.5 h/w won't upgrade. So what? I'll have had use of an excellent platform and h/w for 12months before it becomes sensible to consider "what next". All I'm trying to say is "make your decision on what you need now, not what you might need in 12months time".

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm kinda intrigued by the need to keep looking at what's around the corner rather than making what's in your hand work for you now. I have a very keen interest in developments (afterall I've been in the PC industry for almost two decades and we driven the "what's next" hunger) but I also have a foot in the now. I need a phone and I need a good phone, so I've just plummed for the Lumia 900 now it's here in the UK. Some have asked me why not wait until WP8 phone because the growing concensus is that WP7.5 h/w won't upgrade. So what? I'll have had use of an excellent platform and h/w for 12months before it becomes sensible to consider "what next". All I'm trying to say is "make your decision on what you need now, not what you might need in 12months time".

Did you sign a two year contract? 'cause that's pretty standard in the US. Which means you have to make a sensible decision for the term of the contract, not just 12 months.

Jeff Kibuule

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Well he claimed it was going to be out in April (after a supposed Tmo exclusivity) so kind of confirms his lack of reliability.

And after listetining to a few of the Windows Weekly podcasts I wouldnt trust him 100% either, sometimes they really seem to have no clue what they are talking about. We'll just have to wait and see what happens in June.

Paul was wrong about it coming out but not about it being planned. Companies can change their minds, you know. However, it was pretty obvious after Verizon made the announcement that all phones were going to have LTE and AT&T having LTE exclusivity for 3 or so months that Verizon wasn't getting any new phones until WP8. There's little point in launching the Lumia 900 in July when Apollo is coming out in Oct-Nov and there's no clear upgrade path as of today.

Adyhooper

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's Windows OS is a very success for the Mobile, computer and laptop. Windows phones are add so many applications but personally I don't like Windows mobile phone. I am always using android phone.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
After buying a Nokia N9 a couple of days ago I think it's a shame that Nokia abandoned MeeGo. They should have kept it on the side. Just saying.

Jolla will continue that work though. I'm as interested in that system now as of what MS/Nokia they will do with WP8. If not more actually.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
After buying a Nokia N9 a couple of days ago I think it's a shame that Nokia abandoned MeeGo. They should have kept it on the side. Just saying.

Jolla will continue that work though. I'm as interested in that system now as of what MS/Nokia they will do with WP8. If not more actually.

Ha come on!! What about Symbian while you're at it. And "Windows Mobile with a skin" like I've read several times. Nokia was in dire need of another direction and identity. Windows Phone has given them just that. MeeGo is just a tech oriented mind's wet dream. If people want "open" and screw around with their devices, there's already Android for that.

Anyways, it just makes sense to me that WP will gain marketshare drastically in the upcoming two years. The vast majority of mobile phone buyers are NOT tech oriented and A LOT of them have been fed Android devices that will lag, that are plagued with slow overlays and bugs. Sure Android can run fine if you root and put a custom rom on it, but let's face it, your average user isn't going to do that. I'm telling you the Android fad will die off as surprisingly as it rose. The vast majority of mobile phone buyers are NOT tech oriented and just want something that is easy to use and works out of the box. WP is beating every competitor in this department. People also want familiar apps and entertainment and the move to WP8 is meant to provide just that. Add carrier support and I don't see why people are even doubting.

As for WP7.8, people make such a big deal out of nothing. Obsolete device? Refunds? Dead phone? Seriously?!?! The math is simple. You bought a Lumia in, say April 2012. WP8 will be released in November 2012. That's already 7 months on a 2 year contract (30%). It will take at least a year for WP8 to get a significant enough marketshare that developers will stop supporting WP7 - why would anyone write an app that only a handful of people can use? Sure you may miss out on a few games, but your phone would not have run them anyways. That's 19 months or 80% of your 2 year contract. Early upgrade and you're golden. Who keeps a device 2 years now anyways?

I'm really tired of semi-troll posts on a forum that should be the total opposite. I understand doubt and questions, but we've had dozens of these threads already.

...time to go to bed... :confused: ;)

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Ha come on!! What about Symbian while you're at it. And "Windows Mobile with a skin" like I've read several times. Nokia was in dire need of another direction and identity. Windows Phone has given them just that. MeeGo is just a tech oriented mind's wet dream. If people want "open" and screw around with their devices, there's already Android for that.

I'm not semi-trolling. Just telling you my thoughts. How is that trolling? I like WP as much as MeeGo. They are just totally different systems. Both very easy to use.

MeeGo could have been the new identity. But they scrapped it before release. You could say the same thing about Windows Phone. Do we need another locked down system like iPhone? Your argument fails. MeeGo is not as open as Android. It's in between Android and WP. It's the fastest system to work with and has better multitasking than Android. In other words it's a very fine system that they abandoned. I'm not faithful to one system only. Why should I when I can get the best of two or more worlds.

But of course... I'm a troll in saying this.

Last edited:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
As long as people like us keep spreading the word and showing people that the phone is viable, it will have a future. People are more apt to stay away from what they don't know. I show people and I see people staring. I'd be happy to go on walk people through the device.

I was at the gym last night and I saw a man with a Lumia 900. I ask him what he likes about his phone. he had a list of things he liked. The only thing he didn't like what the way the tiles weren't customizable....and thats it. (yes customizable is not a word) I think once WP8 comes out and they start making better advertisement that actually show tidbits on how you get information from the device, people will start buying into it more. It's not too late for the WP platform, but if this WP8 thing doesn't strike gold a year after it's release, then I believe it's bye bye. But I don't think that will happen. I think MS has invested too much time and effort and money into making this thing work and kudos to them.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not semi-trolling. Just telling you my thoughts. How is that trolling? I like WP as much as MeeGo. They are just totally different systems. Both very easy to use.

MeeGo could have been the new identity. But they scrapped it before release. You could say the same thing about Windows Phone. Do we need another locked down system like iPhone? Your argument fails. MeeGo is not as open as Android. It's in between Android and WP. It's the fastest system to work with and has better multitasking than Android. In other words it's a very fine system that they abandoned. I'm not faithful to one system only. Why should I when I can get the best of two or more worlds.

But of course... I'm a troll in saying this.

I wasn't saying you're a troll, I was referring to the nature of the thread.

As for Meego, I stand behind what I said. WP has a way stronger identity than MeeGo and helps Nokia differentiate its offering. On top of that, having Microsoft behind them can only mean they WILL succeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb