08-16-2014 09:45 AM
85 1234
tools
    Well, this isn't new, but it is the good news/bad news kinda thing for those of us wanting a keyboard.

Qwerty keyboard wins the battle of the input methods – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

The good news is that Nokia sees it's fan base wanting real keyboards still. Seeing how Nokia is trying to find reasons to get their Symbian and feature phone faithful to get onboard with WP, you can bet that Nokia will come out with some devices. Absolutely be sure.

The bad news is: The U.S. market wants screens. HUGE screens. They want streaming media, games, and videos. They also want thinner devices to keep these huge screened devices more comfortable. That may mean any physical keyboard options will not be seeing the North American market just because the desire isn't there.

The Droid series on Verizon is still a decent seller, but does not fly off the shelf. There are always mid-range Androids on Big Red and on AT&T, but they are always vastly outsold by the all touch-screen competition. Case in point: My daughter has the Samsung Captivate Glide on AT&T, and I cruise the forums on it every once in a while just to see what is being talked about. Problem is, it ISN'T being talked about. No activity, no interest. Not a good sign for qwerty love.

The best hope we have is that the 4.3" side slider Motorola Photon Q on Sprint is a huge success. That may prove to Nokia, Samsung, or HTC that a physical keyboard done well can still sell. What I wouldn't do for a WP 8, portrait slider with a 4.0"-4.2" screen.....
    09-03-2012 01:32 AM
    Sprint, QWERTY slider? WP8?

I hope like heck that it's true. :) If not, my Arrive is a good little soldier and it'll continue working just fine for me.
    09-03-2012 10:52 AM
    Sprint, QWERTY slider? WP8?

I hope like heck that it's true. :) If not, my Arrive is a good little soldier and it'll continue working just fine for me.
    Yea that would be our luck lol, I amazing WP8 slider going to sprint and not AT&T. Damn that better not happen lol.
    09-03-2012 04:19 PM
    Am I the only one a little pissed that, despite the poll NOKIA THEMSELVES PUT OUT that said people still want physical keyboards, nothing (to my knowledge) was mentioned about any such phones during the event today?
    09-05-2012 06:45 PM
    Am I the only one a little pissed that, despite the poll NOKIA THEMSELVES PUT OUT that said people still want physical keyboards, nothing (to my knowledge) was mentioned about any such phones during the event today?
    Me to man! I'm with you. Did they say anything?? I bet you if we dont get first wave windows 8 phones with a keyboard, we will get one 3-4 months after windows phone 8 comes out. I'm still holding out and praying that Nokia will surprize us or my beloved Samsung comes threw. I love my dell VP but I need a side slider, this vertical keyboard dose not cut it at all :(. Otherwise my VP would of been perfect. Come on Samsung we are counting on you!
    09-05-2012 07:58 PM
    I'd LOVE to see HTC come out with another generation of their Tilt model for WP8 but I haven't seen or heard anything that would suggest that would happen.

Sigh...
    09-06-2012 10:07 AM
    Hmmmm do you guys remember hearing the Acer or ASUS was going to come out with a slider?? I rememeber hearing something about that. I dont know if I would buy it but just throwing it out.

Also Samsung has basicly givin us there best android smart phone and coverted it to a windows phone, makes me wounder if they will do the same with one of there high end sliders. I just got this feeling that Samsung and nokia are both going to pull threw for us soon. When the time dose come and we hear something, wait a little bit and see what the other company is going to throw out. Samsung and Nokia, Im almost willing to bet its going to be one of them.

I asked both companys to do this, then they say ask the phone company, then the phone company seys ask windows phone..... You ever get the feeling like your getting the run around on anuther note? -_-
    09-11-2012 12:25 AM
    Hp/palm to come out with a palm pre like device with wp8 in mid 2013?

If so I think I actually wait for that one instead of going with 820..

http://m.windowscentral.com/hp-waiti...hone-8-whitman
    09-16-2012 03:21 AM
    I am surprised no one mentioned this

Leaked photos of cancelled Nokia

Just because they say it was canceled does't make it true.
    09-16-2012 09:51 AM
    Stop Im going to cry lol. Nokia's phone looked amazing, imagen if it was all black! Are you sure they canceled it?? Well Im waiting until someone comes out with a side slider. I wish dell would come threw and me aunther venue pro, mine is so amazing, never had 1 problem with it. It would be perfect if it had a landscape keyboard insted of a vertical one. Im not losing hope we will get our phone, probily just not a WP8 lunch :(.
    09-16-2012 02:12 PM
    09-19-2012 08:40 AM
    Will allow some crazy things to be possible in 2013 and 2014. Here is a paragraph from aZDnet article

In some ways Intels lead isnt quite as big as it seems. ARM CEO Warren East told EE Times last week that the real competition isnt Intels PC processor, but rather its Atom SoC (System on Chip), which is still based on an older 32nm process with standard planar transistors. Thats true, but Intel has announced plans to speed up SoC development. It plans to release a 22nm version next year followed by 14nm in 2014, perhaps with its Infineon baseband technology integrated on the same chip. Intel is making a little progress in smartphones, with models from Lenovo, Orange and Lava available in some markets, but if it can execute on this plan by 2014 it should be a much stronger competitor in smartphones and other mobile devices.

The whole article here
    The race is on to catch up with Intel | ZDNet

Then we will have not win phone 8 but win8 on phone sized devices with good battery life.
    09-19-2012 10:56 AM
    Nothing from HTC. Still waiting....
    09-19-2012 02:15 PM
    Common Samsung, come threw for us. Might be there only way to go head to head with Nokia is if they try and apeel to other groups, namely us keyboard lovers.
    09-19-2012 07:17 PM
    Bump, anything news guys??
    09-27-2012 09:05 PM
    The silence is deffeaning!
    09-27-2012 09:39 PM
    ...I get the interest, although, with 4.3-4.7" screens I have nearly zero difficulty using an onscreen keyboard, and I turn on the vibrate or click options so I get some kind of feedback....
    I was a long time Palm user, and always thought a physical keyboard was a must. Like you said, with a 4.3-4.7" screen an onscreen keyboard isn't a problem.
    09-27-2012 09:42 PM
    Nothing here. Just hoping the hp palm pre rumor is true.. Would be perfect!
    09-28-2012 04:22 AM
    The market for slider phones is much less than that of the slate phones. Since WP is a pathetically small market at the moment to start making niche market phones in such a market does not seem economically sound. Maybe if WP shares start overtaking BB they may think about it. The other thing I would be curious about is if there is any support in the OS for such a device.
    09-28-2012 05:38 AM
    Does anyone know anything about Microsoft roommerd phones? Maybe one of them could have one.
    09-28-2012 06:02 AM
    Does anyone know anything about Microsoft roommerd phones? Maybe one of them could have one.
    I haven't seen or heard of anything substantial to make me believe MS would come out with their own phone again they seem for phones to be taking the tact of working closely with them. The reason why the surface came ou was because the old OEM tablet attempts were all terrible and lackluster and no one seemed to really care about them. If MS left it to them again they would likely screw this up and W8 is way to important to the future of MS.
    09-28-2012 08:09 AM
    I really haven't seen or used too many Microsoft computers that were of any substation quality. Where I work bought a lot of the MPC workstations and after about 1 year had to replace nearly all of them due to power or HD issues. There were some laptops that had similar issues. I'm hoping that since the new tablets really don't have any moving parts, they won't fall prey to the same issues.

Time will tell. I hope it's well.
    09-28-2012 08:02 PM
    Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE is a horizontal slider that is out there. I can't believe that Nokia will ignore this area of the market.

It seems as though the phone manufacturers are ignoring the importance of texting. Read this article:

Why Text Messaging Still Thrives Despite Smartphones, Twitter and WhatsApp | ZDNet

My daughters don't have smart phones for two reasons: too expensive and no keyboard. I don't know which is the more important.

............calfee
    10-01-2012 10:13 AM
    That phone is orgasmic, I wish I had it.... And if it was running WP8 :(. I just going to keep waiting in hopes one comes along from sammy or nokia.
    10-01-2012 01:49 PM
    Should Nokia make a QWERTY Lumia Windows Phone? | NokNok.tv

"However, they are all Symbian smartphones and while other companies have dabbled with a QWERTY Windows Phone Nokia has yet to commit. Even Nokia CEO Stephen Elop in a recent online chat over at Engadget was non-commital.

When asked: Do you have any plan to launch other form factors including, for example, QWERTY? His reply was a little vague, stating ‘As for QWERTY, this is one of the more hotly debated topics. Over the last few years, we have been often the largest producer of QWERTY devices (popular in emerging markets as well as in business), and yet the trend seems to be moving heavily away from this… particularly because of the quality of the text prediction on WP (awesome).’"

Between this, the fact that I'm up for an upgrade at AT&T, and my LG Quantum is now not syncing with Zune, I may give up my crusade and go look at the Hero devices that come to AT&T...
    10-05-2012 08:05 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD