Is HP Thinking About A WP8 Device?

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Keep up that man, that was a stupid, boarderline insane decision, made by a man who hates hardware, and suddenly went crazy. HP reversed that decision for the mostpart, but the damage was done to the phones and tablets division by the firesale and messing around consumers and retailers, hence they died a death. WebOS development, despite half the development team jumping ship, is still going strong, with the vision to become an open-source alternative to Android.

Considering that Meg Whitman still thinks WebOS will eventually become the replacement for Android (she fundamentally believes that Google will, sooner or later, make droid exclusive to Motorola, once the OS becomes a household name akin to Apple iPhone, to reap a return on their investment), it's highly unlikely that a. HP would go with Android, and b. HP would go with Windows Phone instead of WebOS. Whitman did state though, that HP would not make/develop any hardware in the future themselves.

However, as has been suggested, if the synergy between W8 tablets and WP8 handsets is exceptional, then they may consider launching a range of devices, made by another OEM, but branded by HP.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Keep up that man, that was a stupid, boarderline insane decision, made by a man who hates hardware, and suddenly went crazy. HP reversed that decision for the mostpart, but the damage was done to the phones and tablets division by the firesale and messing around consumers and retailers, hence they died a death. WebOS development, despite half the development team jumping ship, is still going strong, with the vision to become an open-source alternative to Android.

Considering that Meg Whitman still thinks WebOS will eventually become the replacement for Android (she fundamentally believes that Google will, sooner or later, make droid exclusive to Motorola, once the OS becomes a household name akin to Apple iPhone, to reap a return on their investment), it's highly unlikely that a. HP would go with Android, and b. HP would go with Windows Phone instead of WebOS. Whitman did state though, that HP would not make/develop any hardware in the future themselves.

However, as has been suggested, if the synergy between W8 tablets and WP8 handsets is exceptional, then they may consider launching a range of devices, made by another OEM, but branded by HP.
I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing you are referring to that CEO Leo Apotheker who single-handedly destroyed HP's consumer division in one fell swoop.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Considering that Meg Whitman still thinks WebOS will eventually become the replacement for Android (she fundamentally believes that Google will, sooner or later, make droid exclusive to Motorola, once the OS becomes a household name akin to Apple iPhone, to reap a return on their investment), it's highly unlikely that a. HP would go with Android, and b. HP would go with Windows Phone instead of WebOS.
That's an interesting theory Whitman has. I can see how that would work out well for Google; yet, at the same time, it would also be rather risky. The other OEMs would definitely scramble and panic if that were to happen.

To me, Motorola's biggest problem is its lack of a retail chain. The only place Motorolas seem to be really sold are in Verizon stores. If Motorola actually started selling devices at the other carriers, such as AT&T, it would have a better performance.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing you are referring to that a$$hole CEO Leo Apotheker who single-handedly destroyed HP's consumer division in one fell swoop.
You'd be guessing right. The biggest muppet in the history of business.

Sentimentgx4 said:
That's an interesting theory Whitman has. I can see how that would work out well for Google; yet, at the same time, it would also be rather risky. The other OEMs would definitely scramble and panic if that were to happen.
Hehe all the info here.

The Register said:
HP CEO Meg Whitman foresees a great future for webOS, the mobile operating system that her company acquired in the $1.2bn Palm deal and is now contributing to the open source community – and part of her reasoning is based on her distrust of Google.

"I think that Android may end up as a closed system because of [Google's] relationship with Motorola," Whitman said in her keynote presentation at HP's company's global partner summit in Las Vegas, according to Channel EMEA.

"I think there is room for another operating system," she said. "iOS is great but it is a closed system."

and

The Register said:
Without as much as a nod to Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 or upcoming tablet-capable Windows 8 – or, for that matter the MeeGo/Bada open source Tizen mashup or any other mobile OS – Whitman positioned webOS as the go-to alternative to Apple and Google's offerings.
It actually seems as though Meg has distance HP from Windows Phone by simply not offering it any recognition within the industry. That's not to say she doesn't like it, and/or the roadmap hasn't changed, but I find the whole concept of HP releasing a handset running WP whilst WebOS is sat idle but with HP still investing money and resources into it, somewhat unbelievable. I guess her "distrust for Google" alongside her promotion and HP's ownership of WebOS is pretty much a final nail in the coffin for any idea that HP may release a handset running droid.

However, it was suggested that WebOS will make it big on printers, not a bad deal, a few billion dollars for substantial losses (touchpad firesale) and the perfect OS for printers lol. :lol:

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be cool to see HP get in on it, the more the maryer. Besides HP is a computer comp. and there computer only run windows, so less of a chance of them having a problem again. It would be cool to see anuther big windows computer company get in. I wont be surprized if dell seys something in the matter of comming back to the phone market 6 mounths after apollo come on line. WP really is just getting bigger and better really fast and no all the companys want in.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I hope not. Nokia, Samsung and htc dominate already. Ask Dell how that went. Just concentrate on creating a nice W8 tablet

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
HP can do it but only with a good visionary leader. I can pull it off if I was leading the charge and HP makes good phones a HP Windows Phone 8 would be great for business and consumers.

Windows should try to get as many PC OEM's to make Windows Phone 8 devices to battle the flood of Androids. With ASUS, Dell, MSI, Accer, Lenovo all in the mix pumping great Windows 8 phones and PC's there is no way Windows 8 will fail.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
HP can do it but only with a good visionary leader. I can pull it off if I was leading the charge and HP makes good phones a HP Windows Phone 8 would be great for business and consumers.

Windows should try to get as many PC OEM's to make Windows Phone 8 devices to battle the flood of Androids. With ASUS, Dell, MSI, Accer, Lenovo all in the mix pumping great Windows 8 phones and PC's there is no way Windows 8 will fail.
Read the article from Computex? It's happening as we speak on the tablet front.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I hope not. Nokia, Samsung and htc dominate already. Ask Dell how that went. Just concentrate on creating a nice W8 tablet
Maybe if Dell hadn't gone cheap on the wi-fi chip and allowed Internet Sharing, the DVP would have been a bigger success. For all its detractors, the Venue Pro is an awesome device with most of the features the enterprise crowd wants. Yeah, the camera is an abortion that lived but it's not a deal breaker, most companies don't even allow camera-equipped phones anyway.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
HP has to make a phone to complete that ecosystem. They have desktops, laptops, slates, printers, routers they have everything to fill a household but they dont have a phone to sync everything SMH.

HP, Dell, Accer please take notes. Google will be releasing unlocked Galaxy Nexus's running Jellybean this fall. Why cant you release unlocked Windows Phone 8 devices to counter battle that.

If Dell actually focused on the Dell Venue pro and made buying the phone easier my corporation would be using Venue Pro's instead of iPhones but hey they missed that chance

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
HP has to make a phone to complete that ecosystem. They have desktops, laptops, slates, printers, routers they have everything to fill a household but they dont have a phone to sync everything SMH.
HP had a phone, in fact a family of handsets and a top OS... but due to a poor executive, who didn't like hardware, it got screwed over, and HP (and their investors) got their fingers burnt, big time.

Their slate (Touchpad) was also an awesome device, but inevitably fell to the same fate as their phones.

The purchase of Palm could have proved the best thing HP had done in years, especially if they considered licensing WebOS to other OEM's to create a strong eco-system, but all that has faded now.

The idea of investors letting them burn money in the mobile sector, not to mention the execs themselves willing to stake their reputations (and jobs) by even proposing it, and then having the balls to see it through, is just about remote a possibility as Windows Phone overtaking the iPhone eco-system in 2012.

The final nail in the coffin, is a complete loss of confidence and trust from media, retailers, networks and consumers, in light of WebOS/Palm fiasco.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I think they will. They just knew that WP7 was for consumers and so passed on it. An HP tech replaced my motherboard a few weeks ago and emailed me from his iPAQ! If nothing else, they will release a new device for the sake of their field engineers!

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
HP had a phone, in fact a family of handsets and a top OS... but due to a poor executive, who didn't like hardware, it got screwed over, and HP (and their investors) got their fingers burnt, big time.

Their slate (Touchpad) was also an awesome device, but inevitably fell to the same fate as their phones.

The purchase of Palm could have proved the best thing HP had done in years, especially if they considered licensing WebOS to other OEM's to create a strong eco-system, but all that has faded now.

The idea of investors letting them burn money in the mobile sector, not to mention the execs themselves willing to stake their reputations (and jobs) by even proposing it, and then having the balls to see it through, is just about remote a possibility as Windows Phone overtaking the iPhone eco-system in 2012.

The final nail in the coffin, is a complete loss of confidence and trust from media, retailers, networks and consumers, in light of WebOS/Palm fiasco.

That and HP doesn't have any passion in their products.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss