Who would buy a matching "Surface Phone"?

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Can you imagine if Microsoft came up with its own line of "Surface" phones? I'd love to see someone come up with such a concept.

Would it be something interesting to you guys? Do you think that, just like the Surface, a Microsoft made phone would give an incentive for manufacturers to come up with better products?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I would buy a MS Surface phone, but I don't think they need to. I believe that Nokia has already set the standard for WP hardware.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i would!!! i actually said this yesterday " microsoft should have made their own flagship phone"
hence the surface phone... i actually really like the name and branding too

way to go MS!!!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
i would!!! i actually said this yesterday " microsoft should have made their own flagship phone"
hence the surface phone... i actually really like the name and branding too

way to go MS!!!

I agree. I like the name and branding. I think Surface makes perfect sense for a touch screen device.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see this if for no other reason then it would show consumers what a Windows 8 OS only device looked like and performed like. It might discourage other manufacturers from layering their own bloatware, and UI's on top of it. This problem is rampant in Android phones and it starting to show in WP with things like HTC hub, etc. If you take google's "nexus" phones as a guide, you could use a "surface" line of phones to showcase new things, provide faster updates of software, etc.

I hope they do it.

alex6272

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see this if for no other reason then it would show consumers what a Windows 8 OS only device looked like and performed like. It might discourage other manufacturers from layering their own bloatware, and UI's on top of it. This problem is rampant in Android phones and it starting to show in WP with things like HTC hub, etc. If you take google's "nexus" phones as a guide, you could use a "surface" line of phones to showcase new things, provide faster updates of software, etc.

I hope they do it.
I actually like the HTC Hub. As long as it's so easy to remove, who even cares if they bundle some extra apps.

To answer the original question- I think it's a good idea and could really be interesting, but maybe they should do like Google and have an OEM make it. I really want PureView on my next WP so that would be a big factor too.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia will come out with an RT tablet that will make a very good companion to the 900. I'm guessing they will come in at the 16Gb iPad price point too. Wait for what Nokia has to offer.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
One of the petty reasons i didnt move from iPhone to WP or Droid for that matter was because i didnt like how the both MS and Goog partnered with the Samsungs of the world instead of manufacturing their own hardware.

I made the decision to go focus S anyway and was happy with the WP7 experience.

AT this point, it would be cool if MS did manufacture their own wp8 hardware, but I think they should just do the inevitable and buy Nokia and technically manufacture their own hardware. MS already put down a $1 billion down payment to Nokia, throw in another and close the deal.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
One of the petty reasons i didnt move from iPhone to WP or Droid for that matter was because i didnt like how the both MS and Goog partnered with the Samsungs of the world instead of manufacturing their own hardware.

I made the decision to go focus S anyway and was happy with the WP7 experience.

AT this point, it would be cool if MS did manufacture their own wp8 hardware, but I think they should just do the inevitable and buy Nokia and technically manufacture their own hardware. MS already put down a $1 billion down payment to Nokia, throw in another and close the deal.

Is there an advantage to buying Nokia instead of just partnering with them?

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
i don't think we will ever see Microsoft surface phone especially when they have Nokia partnership it will ruin their partnership since they will take a share from Nokia hands and Nokia need this share more than Microsoft
the only way i can see this happening when Manufacturers stop producing windows phone devices

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Having Nokia is pretty close to making their own phones.

I think the only reason MS is making the Surface tablets is because they couldn't find an awesome OEM that was willing to go "all-in" and have a commitment to extreme quality at the same time. So they had to do it themselves.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft does great hardware, the Xbox and Zune HD are good looking devices. Its like Apple, they make the best hardware but also made great software. Only Microsoft can match them.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Can you imagine if Microsoft came up with its own line of "Surface" phones? I'd love to see someone come up with such a concept.

Would it be something interesting to you guys? Do you think that, just like the Surface, a Microsoft made phone would give an incentive for manufacturers to come up with better products?
No thanks! If they had done it right (like ASUS) I'd have a Surface phon-let but instead the created just another tablet in a sea of tablets. The idea is to get down to one device so you won't have to carry two.

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I can't Photoshop worth crap so here is my vision. A 4.5" screen a long the look of the 800 or 900 but work in the surface case with the same magnetic connection so people who like keyboards can have one that doesn't take up a lot of space and those who don't can have without. Also nice metal kickstand built in

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium