A Blackberry Windows Phone?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That could make things very interesting. BB's have always been of exceptional build quality and let's face it, they do make the best keyboards in the business. Something to watch.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, datapackages are growing and roaming fees are decreasing. Compressed data is not as important as earlier.

But RIM did make fantastic hardware, and for a while I was crazy about the OS as well. It was like Symbian all grown up and the only thing that was missing was the apps.

I would like to see them survive this in some form, but not at the price of WP. My affection for WP has grown to much.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
http://www.windowscentral.com/rim-said-thanks-no-thanks-windows-phone

.... aaaaaaaaand just like that, the rumor is dead... :straight:

Hope they enjoy their bankruptcy then. This was their last chance at survival.

BB10 has been delayed until Q1 2013 at the earliest...which means the last presentation about BB10 was largely vaporware and the OS is nowhere near ready to go. And they don't have the capital to keep on their legs, funding next-gen R&D and paying overhead, for another 9+ months.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, datapackages are growing and roaming fees are decreasing. Compressed data is not as important as earlier.

But RIM did make fantastic hardware, and for a while I was crazy about the OS as well. It was like Symbian all grown up and the only thing that was missing was the apps.

I would like to see them survive this in some form, but not at the price of WP. My affection for WP has grown to much.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
I think MS would beg to differ as the data compression in WP8 is supposed to give you something like 30% compression. It's a feature I haven't really seen discussed anywhere since the presentation, and to the best of my knowledge, neither Apple or Google offer it natively. This may in fact turn out to be a dark horse "killer app" for WP8.

I think it's a "if you build it, they will come" senario. The developed world is about to really start to see widespread adoption of LTE in the next year or two. Faster data speeds combined with faster processors in the phones is a vacuum that developers will be quick to take advantage of.

And don't think for a second that the carriers don't see this coming. Their last real source of revenue IS data, and I'm not surprised to see all those unlimited plans in the states being throttled or eliminated entirely. 2GB may seem like a pretty heavy use month now, but I'll betcha in a year or two, it'll be "normal".

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think MS would beg to differ as the data compression in WP8 is supposed to give you something like 30% compression. It's a feature I haven't really seen discussed anywhere since the presentation, and to the best of my knowledge, neither Apple or Google offer it natively. This may in fact turn out to be a dark horse "killer app" for WP8.

Completely agree.

As a regular on the Windows Phone Suggestion page, i'm forever seeing people from countries like India asking for data compression, and tools to monitor their data usage, as the fees as huge.

Lets also not forget, if you are sending less data, surely your surfing will be faster.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Completely agree.

As a regular on the Windows Phone Suggestion page, i'm forever seeing people from countries like India asking for data compression, and tools to monitor their data usage, as the fees as huge.

Lets also not forget, if you are sending less data, surely your surfing will be faster.
If only we could get Opera browsers on WP7.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm using UC Browser this very second, which seems to be based on Firefox. It has browser buttons for back, forward, tabs and homepage. Homepage is a bunch of tiles for recently/frequently visited pages, similar to chrome for PC, but metro-looking. Very useful. It also gives options for orientation lock and saving form data, custom skins, and setting default image quality. There also seems to be a setting for enabling a low-traffic "booster" mode, which I haven't tried. Apart from a bug where it displays Chinese while showing English as the default language, it seems very well designed. Also includes the ability to directly download media files like videos and podcast, with the only drawback being that they stay within the app and must be watched/listened to there. And it's free!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I did install UC. It looks like it only shows mobile versions of sites. I prefer full version and don't like mobile websites at all.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Adyhooper

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft take the plunge to obtain investigation motion coming up next year. According to some news, new blackberry phone including windows operating system will release in the 2014.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234