Will Adobe Bring Flash To Windows Phone 8 Devices?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
No. MS is moving away from flash. in the Windows 8 Metro version of IE10, only MS approved web sites can use Flash, and even that was a compromise, origionally they weren't going to allow Flash in Metro IE 10 at all.

When I first got a Motorola Droid, I used to get irritated that Flash was not supported. Then it came and the experience was terrible. The only thing that worked well consistently were ads. Now on my Windows Phone, in Windows 8 Metro IE 10, and on my wife's iPad, when i come to a website that uses Flash I get mad at the website developer for still using Flash and not updating to HTML 5 yet. Flash websites are fewer and farther between.

Plus Adobe announced months ago that they had discontinued development of Flash for mobile.
http://www.androidcentral.com/adobe-stop-new-development-mobile-flash-player
And the current version of Flash isn't even approved to run in the just announced Android 4.1 (Jellybean)
Adobe Says No Flash Player for Android 4.1, Will Withdraw App | PCWorld

EDIT: So I didn't read the article till after. It is a ridiculous article. Here is the summary: "Flash for mobile, which was such a bad battery hog and security risk that Apple and Microsoft never allowed it on their platforms, will no longer be available on Android either. MS is even restricting it on their touch optimized desktop OS instead of giving it the free reign it has enjoyed on Windows up to this point. The reason it is losing support for Android and MS is restricting it is because of the adoption of HTML 5 and the previously mentioned battery and security issues. So do you think it will come to Windows Phone now?"

Most ridiculous argument for Flash coming to Windows Phone ever.

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
No. MS is moving away from flash. in the Windows 8 Metro version of IE10, only MS approved web sites can use Flash, and even that was a compromise, origionally they weren't going to allow Flash in Metro IE 10 at all.

When I first got a Motorola Droid, I used to get irritated that Flash was not supported. Then it came and the experience was terrible. The only thing that worked well consistently were ads. Now on my Windows Phone, in Windows 8 Metro IE 10, and on my wife's iPad, when i come to a website that uses Flash I get mad at the website developer for still using Flash and not updating to HTML 5 yet. Flash websites are fewer and farther between.

Plus Adobe announced months ago that they had discontinued development of Flash for mobile.
http://www.androidcentral.com/adobe-stop-new-development-mobile-flash-player
And the current version of Flash isn't even approved to run in the just announced Android 4.1 (Jellybean)
Adobe Says No Flash Player for Android 4.1, Will Withdraw App | PCWorld

You don't have to convince most of us here. We've been doing fine without flash for the past 2 years ;) Honestly, at this point I wish they just kill of flash, so our phones don't ever get directed there. Since IE is more likely to do so when in desktop mode.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to convince most of us here. We've been doing fine without flash for the past 2 years ;) Honestly, at this point I wish they just kill of flash, so our phones don't ever get directed there. Since IE is more likely to do so when in desktop mode.

The reasoning is just so bad I had to rant. It makes angry bsome moron is getting paid money to write such garbage articles. Articles like this are why bloggers are generally not regarded as actual journalists.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
WTF? You mean it doesn't work on Win phones? This is just like the Palm fiasco! "Oh don't worry it's coming!" They said... it never did!

It will only be a fiasco if MS actually promised flash. I think from day one, all of us WP users already accepted the fact that we aren't getting flash. It's just one blogger's speculation.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yes :) I just find it funny that Android will no longer have flash from Jelly Bean on, and WP8 "might" get flash (some form of it). But again, it's all speculation by some blogger.

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... so basically if you run into a site that uses flash your up poopie creek with no paddle right? :dry

As of August 15 NO mobile platform will support Flash. It never came to WebOS, MS and Apple were clear that they didn't want it, and on August 15 it will be pulled from the Android Market (Google Play). I come across Flash required sites less than once a week now a days. It really isn't a big deal any more. Sure there are a few sites that still rely on Flash, but HTML 5 is starting to be the preferred and more common web technology, and all mobile platforms support HTML 5.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
As of August 15 NO mobile platform will support Flash. It never came to WebOS, MS and Apple were clear that they didn't want it, and on August 15 it will be pulled from the Android Market (Google Play). I come across Flash required sites less than once a week now a days. It really isn't a big deal any more. Sure there are a few sites that still rely on Flash, but HTML 5 is starting to be the preferred and more common web technology, and all mobile platforms support HTML 5.

Yup. Even if it does come, it's more of a "shoulder shrug" type deal... eh, that's cool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3