What will WP8 hardware look like

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
To tel the truth from a business standpoint it sucks that samsung and HTC may end up re branding android hardware for wp8. I but from a business standpoint its a necessary evil the cost would be to great to fully engineer a wp8 device when you already have the necessary hardware to run it. I would rather them take their phones and change the design somewhat but a htc one s type device with a 720p screen would be great. Just like the sgs3 running wp8 would be a great device. me personally I prefer nokia's design and radio know how over both so it's nokia for me

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
To tel the truth from a business standpoint it sucks that samsung and HTC may end up re branding android hardware for wp8. I but from a business standpoint its a necessary evil the cost would be to great to fully engineer a wp8 device when you already have the necessary hardware to run it. I would rather them take their phones and change the design somewhat but a htc one s type device with a 720p screen would be great. Just like the sgs3 running wp8 would be a great device. me personally I prefer nokia's design and radio know how over both so it's nokia for me

Anyone that thinks any of the other OEMs (other than Nokia) are going to spend large amounts of R&D for an OS that has yet to establish itself is kidding themselves. They will not do unique designs until they are sure they can recover their R&D costs. In fact, HTC and Samsung have already stated that they want to reduce the number of designs they have to support. The hardware in the GS3 and One series is EXACTLY what is needed for the 1st gen WP8 devices and except for a couple cosmetic changes they will be the exact same phone. I'm not sure even Nokia is going to go crazy design wise for their 1st Gen WP8 devices.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone that thinks any of the other OEMs (other than Nokia) are going to spend large amounts of R&D for an OS that has yet to establish itself is kidding themselves. They will not do unique designs until they are sure they can recover their R&D costs. In fact, HTC and Samsung have already stated that they want to reduce the number of designs they have to support. The hardware in the GS3 and One series is EXACTLY what is needed for the 1st gen WP8 devices and except for a couple cosmetic changes they will be the exact same phone. I'm not sure even Nokia is going to go crazy design wise for their 1st Gen WP8 devices.

They are likely gonna use the lumia 900 design. And maybe make it a little thinner and maybe make a red one for Verizon

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
They are likely gonna use the lumia 900 design. And maybe make it a little thinner and maybe make a red one for Verizon

Agreed, HTC will make some One series replicas or very close, Samsung will make a GS3 model and probably a couple others with typical Samsung styling bodies. Nokia will likely either reuse the Lumia 800/900 styling for launch devices, and/or slightly modify them. I don't expect anything dramatically new from Nokia in the styling dept. right away, but they could surprise us.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, HTC will make some One series replicas or very close, Samsung will make a GS3 model and probably a couple others with typical Samsung styling bodies. Nokia will likely either reuse the Lumia 800/900 styling for launch devices, and/or slightly modify them. I don't expect anything dramatically new from Nokia in the styling dept. right away, but they could surprise us.
I disagree and think Nokia will come with all new designs. Their survival depends on it. The 800 and 900 were the borrowed ones used to release Mango devices as quickly as possible.

Flippzii

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I would be so freaking happy if Nokia pulled out a E7 alike phone with 4.5 720p screen, with a quad core qualcom processor. And if they can fit in the N8 camera in a smart way, that wouldn't hurt! ^^

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

The samsung galaxy S3 and the HTC One X dont look substantially similar to each other and other android slab phones? What's wrong with a galaxy S 3 look a like with WP8? Its the os not the shape.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I would be so freaking happy if Nokia pulled out a E7 alike phone with 4.5 720p screen, with a quad core qualcom processor. And if they can fit in the N8 camera in a smart way, that wouldn't hurt! ^^

lumia-1000.jpg

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft might push hardware manufacturers to make special phone designs for wp8
if they want more attraction they need to differentiate in terms of software and hardware

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone could benefit from a little risk taking in the design department. How many plain silver or black slabs can they put out before getting a little creative?

I'm still jones'n for that nokia pureview concept phone. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just looks so futuristic in a way that no current phone, not even the lumias, ever will. It may be awkward in the pocket, but all those curves would just let it rest in your hand like a naturally smoothed stone from a stream deep in the woods... help me. ;)

rakeshrai

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone could benefit from a little risk taking in the design department. How many plain silver or black slabs can they put out before getting a little creative?

I'm still jones'n for that nokia pureview concept phone. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just looks so futuristic in a way that no current phone, not even the lumias, ever will. It may be awkward in the pocket, but all those curves would just let it rest in your hand like a naturally smoothed stone from a stream deep in the woods... help me. ;)
I think the Pureview concept phone is very ugly. Hope they never make it. I also hope that the next Lumia devices resemble the Lumia 900 design because I never got to own that phone and I regret not getting it!!! It's a killer design. So beautiful it hurts!:lol:

Markyyy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
This is a quick mockup I made to show how a larger display might look in the Lumia 800's current chasis size. I think it looks gorgeous!

I have a problem with the curved glass on the 800. Although the design of the curved glass looks so much nicer than the 900's design, the display is set back deeper into the device so it doesn't feel like you're touching the onscreen contents; you feel like you're touching the glass INFRONT of the contents, so the experience of using the device is less enjoyable. The 900 feels more like you're touching the onscreen contents, which feels so much better. I hope Nokia will implement the curved glass in a way that keeps the display feeling like it's on the surface of the device and not feeling like it's set back into the device

Here's my mockup anyway:
(mockup on left, original Lumia 800 on right)
2urujph.jpg

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I know most of us don't want refurbished android stuff, but I'm using an HTC rezound right know and I have to say if a WP was running this hardware it would be awe inspiring! Can't wait for WP8!

Sent from my Rezound

I used to have a Rezound before I got my windows phone on ATT....loved it! I just thought it was time for a change in scenery....tiles that is. lol. I agree, put WP8 on it and I'm sold lol. But I like my 4.7 in. screen on the Titan 2

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I can see Samsung with an S3 and Note 2 W8P and HTC with a titan 3 and Nokia with something similar to the 900 but with all the W8 goodness. I am cool with that. With all followring up with something more evoluntionary later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster