Nokia VP: Pureview will come to Lumia devices ?very soon?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It kinda raises the question of "Where are we going with this?". Do the masses want a camera that also makes calls and receives text, or do they want a phone that can do many other things like take photos, surf the web, etc. Personally I'm in the multi-funtion phone camp (think PadFone) and your right, I don't much care about phone-ography.

In post after post you see people obsessed with a fancy camera. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt most folks will give a hoot about how great the camera is when they are trying to decide whether or not to get a WinPhone.

Well if it's any indicator, one of the biggest gripes with a Lumia 900 was the camera. For some, it was just not good enough and these forums were filled with post after post about how they're going to return the phone and get a Titan II , with a 16MP camera instead.

I think at this point in time, if you asked the masses "if you had to choose one, would you get a WP8 with quad core processor with a mediocre camera or a dual core with a Pureview camera"? I'm pretty sure you'll get more giving up the quad core for Pureview tech. Plus, according to the VP of Nokia, the camera isnt the only innovation up their sleeves. He hinted at "bendable" screens. I'm curious to see what that's about.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I will buy another Nokia is Pureview and their app love. Other than that my 900 is crap...but anyway...this would be great. I can't wait, I know what phone my gf will want.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The 808 is available through Amazon in the U.S. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is the Nokia cc-3046 hard case is not available through Amazon here yet.

I'll wait a few more days, and see if the Nokia cc-3046 becomes available. If not, I'll just order the 808 without the case.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The 808 is available through Amazon in the U.S. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is the Nokia cc-3046 hard case is not available through Amazon here yet.

I'll wait a few more days, and see if the Nokia cc-3046 becomes available. If not, I'll just order the 808 without the case.

Curious to know why you won't just wait for a WP version?

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
It kinda raises the question of "Where are we going with this?". Do the masses want a camera that also makes calls and receives text, or do they want a phone that can do many other things like take photos, surf the web, etc. Personally I'm in the multi-funtion phone camp (think PadFone) and your right, I don't much care about phone-ography.

In post after post you see people obsessed with a fancy camera. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt most folks will give a hoot about how great the camera is when they are trying to decide whether or not to get a WinPhone.
people want a phone that is top notch in all aspects. including the camera. Since so many people don't have a stand alone camera anymore, having a great built in camera helps complete the experience of the phone.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is true or not, because I haven't found evidence over the net, but some commenters on blogs are claiming that Nokia "said" Pureview would come to WP in a downgraded form. By downgraded, I'm guessing they mean less than 41MP. People are saying that WP can't handle the camera sensors needed to process, like Symbian can.
This has been confirmed by Nokia. PureView is a separate tech from the lens and does not depend on megapixels. I expect to see a slim lumia 920, 950, or 1001 with pureview.

In the setting for the Pureview 808 you can select pureview or full resolution. under pureview you have the option for 8mp, 5mp, and 2mp resolutions . So to me there is not doubt that current lumia can be fitted with pureview technology. I'm not an expert so...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Do the masses want a camera that also makes calls and receives text, or do they want a phone that can do many other things like take photos, surf the web, etc.
You do realise we're discussing the prospects of PureView on Windows Phone 8, right? IE10 is no slouch of a web browser.

So to me there is not doubt that current lumia can be fitted with pureview technology. I'm not an expert so...
The reason why the 808 takes such nice pictures is because it has a fantastic camera. It's a massive 41MP sensor, which the current Lumias do not have. I don't see much advantage in using PureView on these crappy sensors, because the pictures won't look amazing even at 2MP or something similar.

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I bet we see a reworked 808 running WP8 (800x480 screen, Snapdragon S4, 1GB RAM) along with a higher-spec flagship toting a toned down implementation of PureView (16MP sensor with a much smaller lens?). That 41MP snapper made the 808 rather chuncky - too fat for a flagship. Plus, this way they have a lot of wiggle room with advertising - they have a sexy high-end flagship that's as sleek and powerful as anything else on the market, and 'the World's most powerful cameraphone'.

judith32

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I?ve been using the Lumia 900 for the past few weeks, and it?s a great phone. It?s also an excellent example of just how far the Windows Phone platform has come since its debut a year and a half ago.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe that the 808 has a processor in it that is dedicated to just image processing for the camera.

Nokia may need to rework some things if they want it to process images using one of the cores of a general purpose cpu.

41mp of information is a lot to process. Even if the actual image output ends up being 8mp.

If there is a toned down version for WP8, I imagine that the sensor would still be at the 30+ mp range. It has to be high enough where a pixel can get enough detailed info from surrounding pixels before a pixel color is chosen.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
PureView is one of the differentiators for Nokia, they will want to get that tech in one form or another on as many of their devices as possible. At least on the mid/high end devices. Can't wait to see it on WP8 be it in 16ish MP mode, or the higher versions.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by Preluva
Do the masses want a camera that also makes calls and receives text, or do they want a phone that can do many other things like take photos, surf the web, etc.

You do realise we're discussing the prospects of PureView on Windows Phone 8, right? IE10 is no slouch of a web browser.

Uhh.... yeah that's why I asked the question. What's IE10 got to do with it? :straight:

This guy had the same thought as I did LOL. I'm not hating on the idea I just don't see it as being all important. Also I took a look at the pix he took with Pureview and I wasn't that impressed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss