microsoft to bounce back at the google nexus q with xbox 720?

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
now this is just pure speculation. i have no inside sources. i just want to gather idea's about this topic. sales wise the nexus q is no threat to the xbox 360. but there is stuff microsoft can build on from what google did with the nexus q. xbox music and video will be synced with the 3 screen vision. and smartglass is coming to not only windows phone but android and ios as well. clearly this method wins over the just android and android only idea of nexus q. so feature wise most everything is in place for the microsoft ecosystem unlike google.

BUT
do you think xbox 720 will have
NFC?
a competitive modern design?
general hack ability?
made in america?

i would love to hear your idea's. and mods if this is in anyway offtopic, which i dont think it is. please move the conversation. thanks and best of luck to the xbox team at microsoft :cool:

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It is interesting, the next gen for Sony and MS. The fact that the WiiU can us all Wii accessories is great. Can we use all of our 360 Controllers, BT headsets? I hope so. What about XLA games, will they transfer?

The WiiU's controller also uses NFC, we can assume that will come to the next Xbox as well because of WP8's bump to share feature, among other things.

I think allowing the Kinect to connect to a computer and Indie games is all the hackablity we will get. Although with it rumored to be running a version of Windows 8, I am sure we will get an App market place...which I don't know how Sony will compete at all with.

Being made or at lease assembled in America would be nice, but who knows.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the next xbox will have NFC, because not many games use it and the xbox companion app uses WiFi. The only game I can think of that uses NFC would be skylanders.
It will obviously have a competitive modern design, look at the 360 and 360 slim.
I doubt there will be general hack ability because Microsoft is making a lot from selling proprietary things.
It may be made in America because Perceptive pixel manufactures their products in America, so Microsoft could use those factories for the Xbox. Also Google is going to get a lot of press for making the Nexus Q in America and I bet Microsoft wont let Google take all of the spotlight.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
i hope kinect becomes standard for the 720 like the sensor bar for the nintendo wii. kinect is no where near worth 3 figures. replacements should cost $60 no more no less. the camera's on kinect are more carptastik then my facevision 720p webcam. if you can put an 8mp camera on a device as thin as the droid razr than you can definentaly shrink the foot print of the kinect.

i really think microsoft should let ASUS manufacture the 720 if microsoft fails to impress us on design like they did with the surface. xbox 720 should be iconic and not a box the shape of a sonic drive threw sign.

edit: yeah people have their tastes and im not trying to start a flame war. function should always come first over form. but they should work with each other and not against

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Kinect will be standard in the next XBOX. I'd say that's pretty much guaranteed.

The low resolution of the Kinect camera isn't because they were trying to be cheap on parts. The current Kinect is limited by the throughput of USB 2.0. Kinect was designed so that it could transfer color images, 3D sound data, and 3D position data at a consistent 30 fps. Because of the limits of USB 2.0, a high def camera combined with the other data would cause slower performance.

The size of Kinect also has more to do with the microphones than it does the camera. In order for it to be able to tell where a sound is originating from, it needs to have microphones far apart from each other.

And as for the design of Surface... I think most people would find it damn beautiful.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Kinect will be standard in the next XBOX. I'd say that's pretty much guaranteed.

The low resolution of the Kinect camera isn't because they were trying to be cheap on parts. The current Kinect is limited by the throughput of USB 2.0. Kinect was designed so that it could transfer color images, 3D sound data, and 3D position data at a consistent 30 fps. Because of the limits of USB 2.0, a high def camera combined with the other data would cause slower performance.

The size of Kinect also has more to do with the microphones than it does the camera. In order for it to be able to tell where a sound is originating from, it needs to have microphones far apart from each other.

And as for the design of Surface... I think most people would find it damn beautiful.
now that hp is using thunderbolt it would make since on the 720. might be overkill for a next generation kinect though.

at the end of the day the video chat demonstrations with kinect at the past E3 conferences have looked amazing despite what i have been hearing on sensor quality.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I am a PC gamer by heart and will continue to use PC as gaming, until microsoft can intergrate keyboard and mouse, i probably never going to play console game until that happens. :)

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
There isn't really a competition here. If you pop on over to some reviews of the Q, you'll find that it's little more, to the non hacker, than a slingbox for your audio. You can't even get it to work reliably with an Android device with 4.1. The concept is good, though, and it's made in America.

In terms of the next Xbox being made in America, I see that happening when **** freezes over. You can't match the prices coming out of the Asian manufacturers. There's a reason most of our electronics are made overseas.

There is NO way the Nexus Q can compete with ANY full fledged game console. Android is nice and everything, but I personally don't see a piece of "side-ware" defeating a fully supported hardware powerhouse like a game console from the future of all places. Granted that Sony is moving in the streaming direction, I imagine Microsoft has something up it's sleeves. After revealing something like Smart Glass, the possibility arises that Microsoft has played this card early so that support for the "platform" will be robust when they announce some new game streaming service that can beam right through your phone to your tv with a bluetooth remote connected for a full gaming experience.

Google seems to be focusing more on pet projects lately. Time will tell if the Q was actually worth the time spent on it. Look at VirtualBoy. :-\

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)