08-12-2012 04:36 PM
32 12
tools
    Do you really think phones are just going to keep getting bigger and bigger with no end in sight? It's a little absurd. At what point do you think the size of a CELL phone which people carry around in the pockets becomes too big? From the way you write, it sounds like you don't. So a 7" phone would be OK then? How about 9"?
    No. I said the 5" Note would be the entry level size then you'd have a 7" version and the flagship 10". 10 inches is the optimal size, anything bigger would be going to far I think. Also, unless your age ends in "teen" why would you be carrying a phone in your pocket? That's what cases are for.

As far as iPhone and iPad sales dropping, I don't have any sales figures to reference, but I can assure you Apple's doing fine. Especially when you consider they can sell the **** out of the same model in the time that Samsung has to introduce 10 new models (and they still sell less than Apple)

My point was simply once people get try a phon-let they won't go back and cRapple will add phone guts to the iFad... er Pad.

No Android tablet is even remotely close to being competitive with the iPad. The Amazon Kindle is the only thing close, and it's a loss leader with crappy, laggy horrible performance.

The only thing I hate less than cRapple is Hemroid but I'm leaning to trying it if I can get a useful device. And it looks like I can!!! :D PadFone is coming to the USA!

Apple will definitely make an iPhone with a bigger screen, but no, they aren't going to make Galaxy Note sized iPhones and they will never have to. If you think that MOST people are every going to want a phone that big, then I'm sorry you're letting your own preferences cloud your judgement BIG TIME.

Now if you say they only want to do there own thing why make one with a bigger screen? It's because the market is moving that way and they have to adjust or get left behind. You can make whatever beautiful designs you want but if it isn't what the comsumer wants then they won't buy it. It's really that simple ya know? I've read many comments about how awesome Nokia's designs are but look at the trouble there in now.

You can call Apple "crApple" all you want, but the smartphone landscape wouldn't be where it is right now without them. We'd have a field Blackberry-like devices. Android would be another Blackberry like device and Windows Phone would be Windows Mobile 7 and it would be just as convoluted as WM 6 was with a sloppy interface trying to do too many things and doing none of them well.

I'll give cRapple props they sell boatloads of those fugly devices but let's not get carried away with it.

Mark my words. iPhone 5 will be introduced with a slightly bigger screen, probably 4-4.1" or so and it will sell like crazy. It's sales figures will stomp a big mud hole in the buttocks of ANY single Android phone models sales, just like it always does. In fact, the iPhone 4 and 4S will continue to outsell almost all the Android phone models individually for another year or two.

Again... Why is that screen bigger? Because people wanted bigger and they will respond.

Samsung can bring out a 9" phone if they want, but most people aren't going that route. MOST PEOPLE CARRY THEIR PHONES IN THEIR POCKETS AND THEY AREN'T ALL GOING TO BUY CARGO PANTS SO THEY CAN HAVE 6-7-9" PHONES. If you think they will, you're retarded.
    We shall see who will be riding in that little yellow bus bucko!
    08-09-2012 04:35 PM
    No. I said the 5" Note would be the entry level size then you'd have a 7" version and the flagship 10". 10 inches is the optimal size, anything bigger would be going to far I think. Also, unless your age ends in "teen" why would you be carrying a phone in your pocket? That's what cases are for.
    Where am I supposed to carry my phone then? In my hand all the time?

And I think it'd look stupid holding up a 10" device to your face to have a phone call. Now you could use a Bluetooth device, but then there are two problems with that:

You either look like you're talking to yourself.

Or someone else thinks you're trying to have a conversation with them when you're actually having a conversation with someone on the phone.
    08-09-2012 05:27 PM
    Where am I supposed to carry my phone then? In my hand all the time?

And I think it'd look stupid holding up a 10" device to your face to have a phone call. Now you could use a Bluetooth device, but then there are two problems with that:

You either look like you're talking to yourself.

Or someone else thinks you're trying to have a conversation with them when you're actually having a conversation with someone on the phone.
    Well a phon-let will need to go in your back pack, purse or whatever bag your carrying and if your not then yes, you would hold it in your hand. Assuming your a guy why would you want that thing radiating your junk? Not to mention the vibrations when it rings... unless your into that sort of thing. (wink! wink! nudge! nudge! say no more) ;)

Bluetooth earpieces have been around long enough to where people are used to seeing it and know your on the phone. Nothing really odd about it now is there?
    08-09-2012 06:00 PM
    Like a lot of people, I don't want to have to carry my phone in my hand at all times and would not like a phone that would not fit in my pocket. With that said, I had a Galaxy S III for a week and a half and I was surprised at how small it seemed to be in my pocket. That leads me to believe that the design of the phone will be the determining factor for me. I swore that I didn't want a phone larger than 4.3" (based on the Droid X) but found that both the Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S III provided substantially more real estate in only a slightly larger package. I do believe that 5.3"+ would be too large for me personally but there's nothing wrong with having the option if I change my mind.
    08-09-2012 10:43 PM
    I think they're going to be extremely niche for at least the next 4-5 yrs.

After that, we might see flexible screens. When that happens, who knows? Maybe you'll be able to manually adjust the size of your screen by pulling it out of your device to the desired size.
    I guess thats why the Note is selling like hotcakes and Samsungs coming out soon with the note 2 because its a niche device like the IpHone!
    08-12-2012 12:04 AM

Well a phon-let will need to go in your back pack, purse or whatever bag your carrying and if your not then yes, you would hold it in your hand. Assuming your a guy why would you want that thing radiating your junk? Not to mention the vibrations when it rings... unless your into that sort of thing. (wink! wink! nudge! nudge! say no more) ;)

Bluetooth earpieces have been around long enough to where people are used to seeing it and know your on the phone. Nothing really odd about it now is there?
    I know several people who have the samsung Note and talk on it regularly and who have in a holster on their belt Its not that much larger than the titan II or the L900 and there are other androids in in 4.7 to 4.8 inch that are really close in size. I prefer to call them phablets.
    AKA Preluva likes this.
    08-12-2012 03:15 PM
    The Samsung Note has sold (what) 7 million already? That's a pretty big niche. I know two friends that have them, one about to get one (waiting to see what the new one does vs old one for cheap); contrast with knowing 2 people (inc myself) with Windows Phones (friend has the 900).
    I think the Note has a place - yeah sure not everyone will want something that size and that's fair enough. However my use of a phone is mostly data and text, with phone calls right at the bottom of the ways I use it - so actually a slightly larger screen device makes sense to me in theory.

The reason I haven't gotten one? As it happens because my Atrix offers a good screen res in a smaller package - the Note would have to offer double the res to get my interest ... and I don't really like Samsung Android skinning (touchwiz?) ... but the principle of oversized phones ... there's mileage in that for sure.
    AKA Preluva likes this.
    08-12-2012 04:36 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD