But nobody wants a Phon-let

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
i know the winRT kernal supports inking. But i am not sure its best for windows phone.
Yeah they could probably promote it as the phone made for using one note.
PS: The start screen on a windows phone 8 phonlet would be a major eyesore

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think they're going to be extremely niche for at least the next 4-5 yrs.

After that, we might see flexible screens. When that happens, who knows? Maybe you'll be able to manually adjust the size of your screen by pulling it out of your device to the desired size.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

After that, we might see flexible screens. When that happens, who knows? Maybe you'll be able to manually adjust the size of your screen by pulling it out of your device to the desired size.

Shoot... I Think Nokia may try to bring out flexible screens by next spring. That would be pretty dope.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife wants one now. It ticks her off there is a "phone" bigger than her Titan. I hate to tell her there are several bigger now.

Best thing Sammy could do for my marriage is a WP 8 note.....

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
i know the winRT kernal supports inking. But i am not sure its best for windows phone.
Yeah they could probably promote it as the phone made for using one note.
PS: The start screen on a windows phone 8 phonlet would be a major eyesore

OK Ya want a truely useful device or do ya want something that looks pretty?

I know what your talking about. It was on the show Earth Final Conflict. According to the article something like it is being made now. Personally I think it's too small, 10 inches is the optimal size for this device. I believe in a few years the phon-let will be the standard device, especially if cRapple jumps onboard. Once people use them they will never want to go back.

That screen is to big. Is it a tablet, phone or PC. Make up your mind!!

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Sorry Silver but the days of the useless "postage stamp" sized phone are over! :D

My wife wants one now. It ticks her off there is a "phone" bigger than her Titan. I hate to tell her there are several bigger now.

Best thing Sammy could do for my marriage is a WP 8 note.....

No not a note but a WP8 ASUS Padfone! :D

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung Note has sold (what) 7 million already? That's a pretty big niche. I know two friends that have them, one about to get one (waiting to see what the new one does vs old one for cheap); contrast with knowing 2 people (inc myself) with Windows Phones (friend has the 900).

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Would not bother me, I have huge hands and something larger than 4.7 inches or so would not harm me a bit.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I maintain that the majority of people are always going to want a phone that fits easily in the pocket of any pair of pants and that can be used comfortably with ONE hand.

Most people aren't nerds willing to wear cargo pants to fit a 7" phone.

That said, sometimes when I'm stuck somewhere for a while with time to kill, sure I wish I had a giant phone screen. The problem is the other 364 days of the year when you have that beast in your pocket, or you're in line at a coffee shop and trying to use it with one hand without dropping it. That's where the phone-let idea fails miserably.

Huge phones will always be a niche until they figure out a way to make them magically become smaller when you need them to be. Maybe the flexible screens are the way.

For me resolution is everything anyway. If Nokia can give me a 4.3 or smaller phone with a smaller body than my L900 but with 1280x720 resolution, I'll be very satisfied. A giant phone with the same resolution at 5.3" isn't the slightest bit more useful to me. Pixels are pixels. I'm not carrying a cafeteria tray around in my dress pants. :lol:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung Note has sold (what) 7 million already? That's a pretty big niche. I know two friends that have them, one about to get one (waiting to see what the new one does vs old one for cheap); contrast with knowing 2 people (inc myself) with Windows Phones (friend has the 900).

I'm not one to be self-conscious, but I'd feel like a turbo dork whipping that thing out to make a phone call. You might as well just put some white tape on your glasses and go for broke. There is nothing sexy about a 5.3" phone.

Budule

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I gotta agree, if it dosent comfortable in my pocket, i dont want it....(the Lumia 900 BARLEY does this and is sometimes a bit too big).......but my 48 year old eyes appreciate a larger screen, My wife has a Note and i play with it here at home but NO WAY i could carry it ( i work outside and always have my hands full)......but a phone with a slide out screen instead of a slide out keyboard might be cool.....

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Here let me break it down for you homes... :D

Most people aren't nerds willing to wear cargo pants to fit a 7" phone.

That said, sometimes when I'm stuck somewhere for a while with time to kill, sure I wish I had a giant phone screen. The problem is the other 364 days of the year when you have that beast in your pocket, or you're in line at a coffee shop and trying to use it with one hand without dropping it. That's where the phone-let idea fails miserably.

pre.jpg

You see this little guy? That's my Pre that I've been using for websurfing, text, calls, email, etc... You'll also notice he's in a case that gets clipped to my belt or pocket. He does not go inside my pockets! That would make zero sense! :straight: Anyway I was happy with this set up till the HP firesale happened and I learned how to hack the Pre and make it a hotspot for this guy...

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt263/DialM4Speed/tp.jpg
You'll notice he's in a leather case and usually goes in my back pack or is carried in one hand. My Touchpad is now essentially my patchwork phon-let. I carry it EVERYWHERE!

Now as for looking like a dork while using it? Why? Add a bluetooth and there's no worries, your coffee is in one hand and it's in the other or in your backpack! The ASUS Padfone has a pen headset used for calls, it vibrates in your pocket for incoming calls too! How cool is that? ;)

or me resolution is everything anyway. If Nokia can give me a 4.3 or smaller phone with a smaller body than my L900 but with 1280x720 resolution, I'll be very satisfied.

Resolution? Meh! It's like digital tv, I don't see that much of a difference between HD and regular. Maybe it's just my eyes I dunno but as long as I get a clear picture I'm good. The bottom line is this is the future of smart devices. I 100% certain your gonna see cRapple do this down the line cause once people try it, they'll never go back to a postage stamp phone! :p

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Resolution? Meh! It's like digital tv, I don't see that much of a difference between HD and regular. Maybe it's just my eyes I dunno but as long as I get a clear picture I'm good. The bottom line is this is the future of smart devices. I 100% certain your gonna see cRapple do this down the line cause once people try it, they'll never go back to a postage stamp phone! :p

No, it's not like digital TV. On TV you're mostly viewing images.

On a phone or a computer, you're mostly viewing information.

More resolution means you can fit more information on the screen at the same time.

So resolution on a phone is EVERYTHING.

Screen size is almost meaningless.

You can't see any more on a 5.3" Galaxy Note with 1280x720 resolution than you can on a 4.3" phone with the same resolution. Pixels are everything.

The next iPhone will have a bigger screen, for certain, but I guarantee you Apple will never make a Galaxy Note sized phone because from a design standpoint it's got too many compromises. Apple is very purist when it comes to design.

I know the distinction is subtle so you might not be seeing my point here, so I won't waste too much more time trying to explain.

Basically, when Apple designs something, they thing about every way in which someone would use it, they put a high value on something being "true" to what it is. That means you don't take a device that most people use one-handed most of the time and make it so big that it's not comfortable to use in one hand. It's a violation of a fundamental design principle, which is just something they don't do.

That doesn't mean some people won't want a 5.3" phone. Obviously lots of people do. It doesn't mean that Apple couldn't sell a 5.3" phone. They could. The difference between Apple and Samsung is that Apple actually cares about something other than how many products they sell. This is the same reason they didn't licenses the Mac OS out to everyone (except for a very brief misguided period in the mid 90s) People who don't get it say Apple was stupid, they should have done that because they'd sell more computers.

People who understand Apple, understand that they care more about the whole package and the integrity of design. That's why it's unacceptable for them to put their OS on a computer they didn't design, that doesn't follow their standards, because they care about the entire experience, the whole package. This is the same reason Apple doesn't care about making a 5-6" phone. They aren't willing to sell out their design principles to grab a few more sales.

Apple is a design-driven company. Much like Braun or Bang and Olufsen.

Samsung is a revenue driven company. They don't care about design integrity beyond the point where it drives sales. That's why they don't do anything creative. They simple copy Apple's design language because they know it will drive sales. They don't have the integrity to care how ****ty Android runs with their awful skin running on top of it. They don't care if putting their Galaxy name on bottom-end cheap Android phones cheapens the brand. All they care about is selling as many phones as they can, so they will compromise all day long. Make phone out of the cheapest, shiniest plastic they can get away with etc.

Luckily for Windows Phone users, we have Nokia, which has always been a design-driven company too. Not in the same purist respect as Apple always, but they are a company that cares very deeply about design and about creating their own authentic and inspired designs in-house instead of shamelessly cranking out uninspired cheap copies of other people's work in Asian factories.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
One design doesn't fit all though.

Apple will always have their devoted following. But I personally like having options.

One size doesn't fit all. And a large screened phone fits in my hand, and lifestyle just fine. Having a screen 4.3" and above doesn't suddenly make it designed worse than an Apple phone. It's just designed for different people.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Here let me break it down for you homes... :D

Click to view quoted image

You see this little guy? That's my Pre that I've been using for websurfing, text, calls, email, etc... You'll also notice he's in a case that gets clipped to my belt or pocket. He does not go inside my pockets! That would make zero sense! :straight: Anyway I was happy with this set up till the HP firesale happened and I learned how to hack the Pre and make it a hotspot for this guy...

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt263/DialM4Speed/tp.jpg
You'll notice he's in a leather case and usually goes in my back pack or is carried in one hand. My Touchpad is now essentially my patchwork phon-let. I carry it EVERYWHERE!

Now as for looking like a dork while using it? Why? Add a bluetooth and there's no worries, your coffee is in one hand and it's in the other or in your backpack! The ASUS Padfone has a pen headset used for calls, it vibrates in your pocket for incoming calls too! How cool is that? ;)

Get a pre2 and update to 2.2.4 so you can send & receive calls on your TP as well as send & receive text. The phone would never see the light of day.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Screen size is almost meaningless.

You can't see any more on a 5.3" Galaxy Note with 1280x720 resolution than you can on a 4.3" phone with the same resolution. Pixels are everything.

The next iPhone will have a bigger screen, for certain, but I guarantee you Apple will never make a Galaxy Note sized phone because from a design standpoint it's got too many compromises. Apple is very purist when it comes to design.

I know exactly what you are saying.
Though i would not say that screen size doesn't matter, neither is resolution the end of it all. There wont ever be phone with too high resolution screen, but there will be a phone with too big of a screen.

I also appreciate what Apple is doing, they are doing what Nokia could once do and have total control on their future and keep tight hold on their principals. What they did till N9. Be it flip phone craze in 2005 , Samsung's 7mm phones in 2006, Nokia kept doing their thing and concentrating on usability and not limiting the phones just because the newest fad was to have 7mm phones. Nokia taking the rewards and making record profits and extending their lead as largest manufacturer by far.

As somebody who buys 3-5 high end smartphones a year to me Apple is still in usability a head of others and only one that seems to have some kind of story behind the devices that simply just keep evolving. iPhone's might not be rare, but they still feel unique in the world that seems to be filled with similar kinds of devices.
I hope Windows Phone can bring something new here with their Apple like approach, but slight more hardware differentiation.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I know exactly what you are saying.
Though i would not say that screen size doesn't matter, neither is resolution the end of it all. There wont ever be phone with too high resolution screen, but there will be a phone with too big of a screen.

I also appreciate what Apple is doing, they are doing what Nokia could once do and have total control on their future and keep tight hold on their principals. What they did till N9. Be it flip phone craze in 2005 , Samsung's 7mm phones in 2006, Nokia kept doing their thing and concentrating on usability and not limiting the phones just because the newest fad was to have 7mm phones. Nokia taking the rewards and making record profits and extending their lead as largest manufacturer by far.

As somebody who buys 3-5 high end smartphones a year to me Apple is still in usability a head of others and only one that seems to have some kind of story behind the devices that simply just keep evolving. iPhone's might not be rare, but they still feel unique in the world that seems to be filled with similar kinds of devices.
I hope Windows Phone can bring something new here with their Apple like approach, but slight more hardware differentiation.
It depends on what you consider as usability. To me, usability means I can perform any function with one hand while barely looking at the device. I have an iPhone 4S (company provided) and usability is far from being this device's forte. A 5.3" phone would be too large even for my large meat-hooks. I can thumb my way around my DVP but just barely, and it has a 4" screen. I believe that Bluetooth commands need to be improved far more than they are if phablets are to gain any traction. There have been super-sized phones in the past (HTC Advantage & Ideos S7) that simply did not catch on whereas tiny flip phones have always done well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky