Two new Samsung devices: 4.65 and 4 inch displays

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm also on the 4.65 display one. Both are dual core, strange, maybe we'll see quads in future. Nice specs for these devices though, but the sAMOLED UT is strange to me, never heard of this technology. They say also that it'll maybe be HD.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Let's hope they are marketed well ... especially in phone shops... they look promsing but the question on everyones lips are 'Will Nokia launch a WP8 with Pureview?'

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm also on the 4.65 display one. Both are dual core, strange, maybe we'll see quads in future. Nice specs for these devices though, but the sAMOLED UT is strange to me, never heard of this technology. They say also that it'll maybe be HD.

you don't need friggen quad core on your phone! if you have a Lagdroid maybe, but WP7/8 doesn't need a billion cores!

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
you don't need friggen quad core on your phone! if you have a Lagdroid maybe, but WP7/8 doesn't need a billion cores!

I know, but quads are todays' "trend" in the mobile industry. WP's only need is dual core at maximum, quad is just fancy work and battery drainer. And I think the phones are selling better, just because of the saying that the phone has a quad core processor, and then people go "OOO, it has quad core, I must have it, so awesome!", although they don't use its full potential; and so on, you know the drill.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Give me the 4" form factor, but with HD resolution and I'm in.

I don't want a bigger phone, but I want better than 800x480 resolution.

If Apple can make a 3.5" phone with 960x640, then it's possible to make a 4-4.3" phone with 1280x720.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Would love to try out something better than my current 3.8 screen, although the jump to that size would be a bit hard, but most people would get used to it. Never seen an HD screen, but that would also be awesome.

Smaller screen and higher resolution = higher dpi.
Bigger screen and higher resolution = lower dpi.

That would be good to manufacture various suzes with HD resolutions, but say that to the manufacturers...

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If AMOLED HD screens get implemented by any other OEM, I'm definitely sold. If there aren't any of them, Samsung is mine. Although SLCD 2 screens could also be good.. Should've see it for myself. Sorry for offtopic though.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I personally like that kind of config for the phone, not too powerful (it doesn't need to be), but again enough powerful to handle every normal and experienced users' needs. The specs may seem like a gen behind, but as I said, we don't need so powerful machines.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
4.65 Amoled and Dual core. That doesn't look like the GS3, that looks like the GS2. Really lame Samsung, step up.

It will have the same processor as the US SGS3, the same resolution, seemingly the same camera, and a slightly smaller screen. How does that make it an SGS2?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I personally like that kind of config for the phone, not too powerful (it doesn't need to be), but again enough powerful to handle every normal and experienced users' needs. The specs may seem like a gen behind, but as I said, we don't need so powerful machines.

Hoe are the specs a Gen behind? Maybe half a year, and it will probably always be the case with Windows Phone. New SoC normally come out in spring, new Gen of WP normally comes in Fall. I dont think there will be anything better than this by the time it comes out, though im not entirely sure what their timeline is for the mobile quad core S4.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Hoe are the specs a Gen behind? Maybe half a year, and it will probably always be the case with Windows Phone. New SoC normally come out in spring, new Gen of WP normally comes in Fall. I dont think there will be anything better than this by the time it comes out, though im not entirely sure what their timeline is for the mobile quad core S4.

My thoughts about SoCs a gen behind were because the dual core are better known by GS2 and some other Android models, and now are already quads, but that's just my opinion seen from my eyes and it could prove wrong.

ALborntoride

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I will reserve my judgment call on Samsung until October 26 or whenever they decide to release all specs on their phones. Hopefully by the first of October or sooner we should know what HTC is doing and Nokia will give us an idea of their phones in September. It is going to be an exciting time though and a hard time on my wallet.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts about SoCs a gen behind were because the dual core are better known by GS2 and some other Android models, and now are already quads, but that's just my opinion seen from my eyes and it could prove wrong.

The dual core Snapdragon S4 is comparable to the quad core Tegra 3 and Exynos, though the GPU lags behind. The S4 powers the US-spec Galaxy SIII and HTC One X, which should tell you that they are in the same area performance wise. There are a number of benchmarks around comparing them if you want to see specific numbers.

http://pocketnow.com/2012/07/31/snapdragon-s4-pro-slow-and-steady-wins-the-soc-race/

The dual-core Snapdragon S4 is arguably the hottest chip of 2012 so far, and even with these quad-core components available, it holds its own against them. We may have hemmed and hawed at first when learning of the S4 being substituted for quad-core chips in the LTE editions of some of this year’s more popular phones, but anyone who’s tried one out can attest to the fact that a well-done dual-core is right up there performance-wise with some quad-core designs.

There is a quad core version of the S4 in the works but it doesn't have an integrated cell modem yet. I expect we'll see that one in phones come spring, though some HTC rumors suggested they'd have one at launch. It would be possible if they pair it with a standalone modem, I think LG (or someone else) was doing that for an Android quad core this fall.

Last edited:

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Well didn't they say because wp8 is the whole shared kernel thing it can have up to 64 cores or something like that? If so gimmie all the cores you have sammy!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky