Some neat features from Samsung

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I was watching some videos on the Galaxy S3 and a couple of features that stood out are S-beam and Shareshot. S-beam allows you to transfer files, pictures, etc. by touching two S3's back to back. Shareshot allows Multiple S3's to share photos as they are taken. I don't know about the rest of you but I would love to see Samsung bring these features to WP8.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I guess I would put those two on the same category with the FFC. I have owned my TII for about 4 months now I couldn't even tell you it my FFC works. I just never use it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I could see the sharephoto feature being pretty handy at stuff like birthday parties for kids. S beam might be useful, but it looks neat for sure. Hope Samsung puts some of the stuff in their Windows Phones, they might could steal the WP crown from Nokia.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Lots of the things Samsung added are just gimmicks (screen doesn't turn off while you look at it...) or things they copied from Apple (S-Voice...) but I like the small things they keep adding that really show their attention to detail. pseudoware mentioned some of those handy little tweaks in another thread:

You can take photos with voice commands, like "shoot". Palm swipe on the screen to do a screen capture. Lifting the phone to your ear while viewing a contact's details, message or call log will initiate a phone call to that contact. The alarm clock will play your selected alarm sound for a few seconds, then will "say" the current time, current weather and the day's forecast, any appointments you have that day, and the top news headline. Of course, any of these and other features can be disabled.

I also like that with the GS3's stock launcher, the app drawer can be configured as an alphabetical list with letter "hot keys", similar to WP7. You really appreciate how intuitive this is compared to searching for an app through pages of the traditional Android/iPhone app icon grids.

These little things really demonstrate the strong suit of Android for me and showcase the difference in the speed of bringing innovation to the devices versus WP.

That's also one of the reasons why WP will always play second fiddle to Android for manufactures like Samsung and HTC. The need to differentiate and respond quickly is something they just don't have with WP. That's why Nokia is the only hope for WP8 - they have no Android devices, they HAVE to make it work with WP.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I went by the local Verizon store and played with a GS3 for a bit. Sliding the hand across the screen for a screenshot is really nice. All in all the phone is nice. I don't care for touchwhiz and I found it a bit sluggish, but the screen was impressive. The exact same phone running Windows 8 would be awesome if you ask me.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Isn't that transfer thing quite old?
Nokia has had that on N9 combined with NFC for almost 2 years.

Nokia N9 NFC file transfer demo - YouTube

My wife has NFC on her Nokia 808. I was playing with DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) on the 808 this morning. It was pretty cool to start the DLNA server on the 808 and view all the pictures and videos on my wide screen TV. I think the Lumia has it or they are getting it with Nokia Play.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I was watching some videos on the Galaxy S3 and a couple of features that stood out are S-beam and Shareshot. S-beam allows you to transfer files, pictures, etc. by touching two S3's back to back. Shareshot allows Multiple S3's to share photos as they are taken. I don't know about the rest of you but I would love to see Samsung bring these features to WP8.

If Samsung's smart to recognize what they got they'd do it on Windows Phone. It's the best way to differentiate their handsets from other competitors, at least temporarily. To a degree I'm surprised Samsung isn't utilizing windows phone to bridge the gap into their other products; similar to how Sony tries to get you to buy nothing but Sony products. I mean a good chunk of the legwork is already done by Microsoft, all they have to do is show the interoperability for everything you may own that's under the samsung name including an android phone.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
It's only nice if you have someone to use it with. Otherwise what's the point? Things like this should be universal across all platforms don't ya think?

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung's smart to recognize what they got they'd do it on Windows Phone. It's the best way to differentiate their handsets from other competitors, at least temporarily. To a degree I'm surprised Samsung isn't utilizing windows phone to bridge the gap into their other products; similar to how Sony tries to get you to buy nothing but Sony products. I mean a good chunk of the legwork is already done by Microsoft, all they have to do is show the interoperability for everything you may own that's under the samsung name including an android phone.

Microsoft does not allow that level of customization. They can do pretty much anything they want with Android. WP is another story, dictated by the restrictions from Microsoft.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft does not allow that level of customization. They can do pretty much anything they want with Android. WP is another story, dictated by the restrictions from Microsoft.

Really? HTC and Nokia both have access to the accelerometer for utilizing features such as flipping the phone over to silence. I can't imagine a denial to the NFC radio if MS is already allowing such access to the accelerometer.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I could see the sharephoto feature being pretty handy at stuff like birthday parties for kids. S beam might be useful, but it looks neat for sure. Hope Samsung puts some of the stuff in their Windows Phones, they might could steal the WP crown from Nokia.
Assuming (and Samsung praying) that everyone in the room has the same phone. That's what BT and NFC are for. I know, its a differentiator and that's supposed to help lock people into your mini-fiefdom. I won't let it influence me though. I didn't buy a Nokia for their apps or exclusives. I bought it because it's a Nokia.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree that it would be nice if these functions worked on all phones, but it seems like that would defeat the purpose of adding features to set your device apart from the crowd. This is similar to what Apple did with iMessage. Also, unfortunately, there is a better chance of having two Galaxy S3's in the same room than there is a Nokia Lumia. Hopefully that will change with WP8, but the GS3 is a hot selling phone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has a few neat things- their "Chat-ON" social service, several decent photo editors, their "Now" news service, some other small extras in their hub. HTC has it's clock, what my wife SWEARS is the best converter in the world of mobile, some camera exclusives, and some other goodies. It shows that the future is pretty good for manufacturers with WP as far as adding little personality quirks that will make a Samsung a little different from Nokia, which is different from HTC and so on.

Microsoft needs to do a better job of encouraging these things in the WP ecosystem. As it grows, little things like that, and these mentioned by scottcraft, will help sell WP. Fun extras are ... well.. fun.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree that it would be nice if these functions worked on all phones, but it seems like that would defeat the purpose of adding features to set your device apart from the crowd. This is similar to what Apple did with iMessage. Also, unfortunately, there is a better chance of having two Galaxy S3's in the same room than there is a Nokia Lumia. Hopefully that will change with WP8, but the GS3 is a hot selling phone.
But.... if ALL Samsungs had these extras, than there is a great chance of using them. Sort of a ecosystem within the samsung community.

Selling points.....

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I do really think these features are likely. since the just need to develop a metro version of them and other stuff as well. also Wp8 has got Samsung's attention. they want to compete with Nokia. which will be pretty hard. they need to add the s3 features and hardware and specs if they want to compete. also Nokia and Microsoft forced Samsung to get a high end device and put more focus into Wp

also a s3 like wp will be awesome. especially for consumers and of course t-mobile we need a name for it though galaxy 8?, galaxy focus?

<<<<<<<<<Milky way galaxy :D. pity you can't see it properly in the northern hemisphere. only high up in southern. and this was a photo I took

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786