09-04-2012 04:30 PM
54 123
tools
    Regarding the original post... I agree that Samsung can easily dominate if they want, because of the popularity of the Galaxy series. I also do not dispute the fact that they are well-built and durable. HOWEVER...

Samsung has yet to promote anything Windows Phone based, and until they do, they cannot dominate anything, and we need a united marketing effort on all fronts.

When Apple began selling the iPhone, you didn't just see occasional ads from Apple to promote it. No, you saw CONSTANT ads, you saw the product in TV shows, and you saw not just Apple, but also AT&T promoting it.

Likewise, when you see Samsung Galaxy S3 promotions, they're coming from Samsung and the carriers. So with Windows Phone, we need the same... OEM and Carrier, but also Microsoft, and they need to be on every channel, every commercial break. The ads need to be informative but catchy.

I feel like a broken record saying this, because I know I'm not the only one beating this drum, but it's true.

Anyway, I am not a Samsung hater by any means. I actually REALLY like the products overall. However, I do NOT like the "cheap plastic feel" of their devices. The original post criticizes how "bulky and heavy" other devices are, and that's true... but I happen to PREFER that aspect. It's purely psychological, and I know Samsung builds good stuff, but I just like the feeling better. It's no different than saying, "I like red more than blue."

I don't know Samsung's support habits for their phones regarding updates, but my money is going to Nokia, because -- for now -- they are on top with device support and updates in the Windows Phone world. They're driving the ecosystem right now. Is there room for Samsung? Yes! Do I hope they come in and drive it further? Yes! Do I think they will? Remains to be seen.
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-26-2012 08:20 AM
    I'd rather have a Samsung than HTC.

HTC seems like they're trying to build phones like Acer builds computers. Check the boxes. Give people the specs they want. But the parts they use for smaller components are kind if crappy.
    They are getting better. They have had great audio for some time. Cameras have been so-so, but people seem much happier with those they put in the One series. Same goes for their displays. And, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, they usually manage to make really nice bodies even though they are somewhat generic looking.
    08-26-2012 09:07 AM
    I agree that Samsung makes a decent product, but I don't agree they will dominate. Regardless of their recent verdict in favor of Apple, Android is still their bread and butter. The only way they will dominate is if they create a unique WP8 device and really jump on board with advertising and pushing the device. Rehashing their Android phones by just slapping WP on it won't cut it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    08-26-2012 10:22 AM
    Yes, even if samsung could make the best Windows Phone 8 device available, if they don't advertise it, they will not dominate nothing...
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-26-2012 10:43 AM
    if i had to choose an android port handset, i'd also side with the one X line, i've had both (and a lumia) and the One X is so much nicer in terms of build quality, add an sd slot and it's almost perfect.

the GS3 is nice, but feels cheaper, and pentile screens are really not cutting it for me anymore. the camera on the one X is also much much better.

but i'm really curious to see what nokia comes up with on the 5th.
    08-26-2012 01:42 PM
    It will not dominate, consumers will be able to buy the Galaxy S3 for a cheaper price.
    08-26-2012 07:45 PM
    I won't get a Samsung because their reception is awwwfullll. I live in Northern Michigan and the reception you get with Nokia/Motorola/Apple/RIM is something I can't look past. I will never own a LG or Samsung for this reason. HTC has some winners like the Incredible 4G and Rezound, but the Trophy is weak.
    tissotti likes this.
    08-26-2012 07:50 PM
    I have multiple friends with the S3. It's an incredibly cheap and plastic looking/feeling phone. I personally would never buy one.
    08-26-2012 07:55 PM
    .....there hasn't even been a press conference for any WP8 phones yet. You are comparing the L900 to the S3? Why don't you wait until Nokia unveils there new phones. You know Sammy is not going to update the S3 for WP so we're good there but I feel that Nokia might come out with something bigger and badder, in a sense, than the L900. Personally I had the opportunity to play with a friends S3 and it feels cheap. Android 4.X is smooth as *%$*, but IMHO the phone feels cheap. Either way IDC because Verizon is not getting a high end device and thats all I wanted....:@
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-26-2012 08:56 PM
    Well with Google losing to Apple in the patent lawsuit the S3 may be banned from the US and who knows the android ecosytem may be fractured by more than just the many variants of android . Samsung may be forced to fully embrace windows phone 8 and beyond. If that happend and VZN really gets with the program viz a viz Windows Phone it could be a great ride in 2013.
    08-26-2012 09:01 PM
    I won't get a Samsung because their reception is awwwfullll. I live in Northern Michigan and the reception you get with Nokia/Motorola/Apple/RIM is something I can't look past. I will never own a LG or Samsung for this reason. HTC has some winners like the Incredible 4G and Rezound, but the Trophy is weak.
    I'm leery of Samsung for this very reason. I have read that the GS3 is the best Samsung yet for reception. You're right about the Trophy, it is horrible for reception. My Rezound is so much better for reception.
    08-26-2012 09:10 PM
    Well with Google losing to Apple in the patent lawsuit the S3 may be banned from the US and who knows the android ecosytem may be fractured by more than just the many variants of android . Samsung may be forced to fully embrace windows phone 8 and beyond. If that happend and VZN really gets with the program viz a viz Windows Phone it could be a great ride in 2013.
    What? The lawsuit was with Samsung...and the patent lawsuit only pertained to old Samsung phones. Silly.
    08-26-2012 09:38 PM
    I'm leery of Samsung for this very reason. I have read that the GS3 is the best Samsung yet for reception. You're right about the Trophy, it is horrible for reception. My Rezound is so much better for reception.
    I was up in northern Michigan earlier this month, not too far outside of Gaylord and the Galaxy Nexus I owned struggled to hold onto any bars of either voice or data. LTE signal? Not a chance. Factor in that phone's horrible battery life and I was tethered to an electrical outlet and one of the few spots where I could reliably get a data connection. I never had that problem in the same location with a Motorola or Apple device.
    08-26-2012 10:18 PM
    What? The lawsuit was with Samsung...and the patent lawsuit only pertained to old Samsung phones. Silly.
    I understand why he said that. There's a lot of speculation out there. I have read articles saying Apple is going to push for a ban of the GS3, and other manufactures are going to be afraid of using Android in the future, due to the fear of a billion dollar Apple lawsuit

You're correct, the lawsuit didn't include the GS3, it wasn't even out yet.

It's all speculation.
    08-26-2012 10:41 PM
    I despise samsung's cheap throw away phones. Sure they rock good specs but I just can't stand having cheap feeling plastic in my hand. The s3's finish is cheap it scratches and looks old quickly. They remind me of my Subaru STI, sure it was fast but it was a fast economy car and it felt like it.
    tissotti likes this.
    08-26-2012 11:55 PM
    I understand why he said that. There's a lot of speculation out there. I have read articles saying Apple is going to push for a ban of the GS3, and other manufactures are going to be afraid of using Android in the future, due to the fear of a billion dollar Apple lawsuit

You're correct, the lawsuit didn't include the GS3, it wasn't even out yet.

It's all speculation.
    Well unless they have internal e-mails of samsung admitting to wanting to steal specific pieces from the iphone for the GS3, I don't see them winning anything.
    08-27-2012 01:11 AM
    I'm leaning toward Nokia when I switch to WP8 due to their software support, but on the subject of Samsung, I think their phones have excellent build quality. I bought a Captivate (original Galaxy S) at AT&T on launch day (over two years) and the phone is still in great working condition. I have dropped it multiple times on concrete from above waist high and have intentionally dropped it from head high onto ceramic tile to prove its durability to my iPhone loving friend. It also went for a swim in a fountain for about 20 minutes last summer and still no trouble from it at all. No big bulky case on it, all that's on it is a Zagg screen protector.

Not sure where everyone gets the idea that Samsung makes a cheap phone, but I am overly impressed with my Captivate and have had similar experiences with my Blackjack II and Eternity from Samsung. Still may go Samsung with WP8 but I have a feeling Nokia is going to be bringing some stellar phones to market which will be unrivaled due solely to their consistent software updates and support.
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-27-2012 12:42 PM
    I'm leaning toward Nokia when I switch to WP8 due to their software support, but on the subject of Samsung, I think their phones have excellent build quality. I bought a Captivate (original Galaxy S) at AT&T on launch day (over two years) and the phone is still in great working condition. I have dropped it multiple times on concrete from above waist high and have intentionally dropped it from head high onto ceramic tile to prove its durability to my iPhone loving friend. It also went for a swim in a fountain for about 20 minutes last summer and still no trouble from it at all. No big bulky case on it, all that's on it is a Zagg screen protector.

Not sure where everyone gets the idea that Samsung makes a cheap phone, but I am overly impressed with my Captivate and have had similar experiences with my Blackjack II and Eternity from Samsung. Still may go Samsung with WP8 but I have a feeling Nokia is going to be bringing some stellar phones to market which will be unrivaled due solely to their consistent software updates and support.
    thats why im leaning more towards a nokia phone as my wp8 device
    08-27-2012 01:58 PM
    I don't think anyone said that Samsung makes cheap phones. They just said they make cheap FEELING phones.

It's a matter of preference. My people like a solid feel and real strength to a phone. A super light Samsung may be just as good as a Nokia if dropped. That doesn't mean it's as strong. But then again, many people don't want that strength because of weight.

Different strokes for different folks.
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-27-2012 03:59 PM

I agree that the phones last. They just look and feel very payless shoey.
    08-27-2012 08:38 PM
    Sorry, didn't mean it to come across as harsh, It's just the opposite way of talk to how people call their phones "sexy" when they like the form factor. The Lumia 900 is just too heavy and thick as a mobile device. And on top of that it's now a phone that will no longer get updates or any new apps made for Windows Phone 8. So anyone buying one now or who bought one when it came out has a right to be very disappointed. Especially if they left Android for the lack of updates and expected not to run into the same lack of updates with their new WP.
    In YOUR opinion. I hate having tech that's super-light. I love my L900 and new iPad because they have some weight to them.
    wolf1891 likes this.
    08-28-2012 03:05 AM
    I think Samsung could bring a great WP8 device, but I wouldn't buy it if it looks like a previous android model which probably you can get cheaper. It just won't sell well if people can see both devices together. Which one would they buy? the cheaper one.
    08-28-2012 12:13 PM
    I agree with this post the GS3 is amazingly light and Nokia's designs leave much to be desired. I've seen nothing exciting from them so far. Infact MS should have partnered up wit Sammy or somebody other than Nokia.
    Last edited by Preluva; 08-28-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    08-28-2012 06:59 PM
    I agree with this post the GS3 is amazingly light and Nokia's designs leave much to be desired. I've seen nothing exciting from them so far. Infact MS should have partnered up wit Sammy or somebody other than Nokia.
    Your preference. Mine? Nokia had nothing to lose after going through their symbian trial but investing in a company that'll put all of their resources into your product is a smart move ESPECIALLY since Nokia has a great map system and has other services to offer. Samsung would've probably did the same thing they're doing right now: absolutely nothing.
    scottcraft and wolf1891 like this.
    08-28-2012 11:58 PM
    What about nokia's design don't you like? Samsung and nokia are actually the only phones I have ever used with AMOLED and with the power button on the right side of the phone.

I personally hate the GS3 design becuase it's very round and kiddy looking to me. I love the edges of the L900. It's a very mature and sharp looking phone. And call me old-school but I enjoy having a camera button. I hated my GS3 for not having one.

I just don't see how they can be so far apart in design when they are so close in almost everything except form factor.

Basically put the volume rocker on the left side of the phone, remove the camera button, add a home button. Then make the screen a little bigger and they are almost the same exact phone except for color and rounded edges.
    08-29-2012 02:11 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD