08-30-2012 11:07 AM
30 12
tools
    Most recent Samsung rumor- there has been a filing to trademark the "ativ" by Samsung for a Tablet and a Mobile phone, and rumor is they will be the name used on a Windows 8 Tablet and the new top end WP.

Samsung trademarks Ativ Tab and Ativ S names, may give a peek into its Windows (Phone) 8 world -- Engadget

Okay, I have to ask: WHAT in the name of the explosions in the Expendable Movies is an "Ativ"?? Are we just making crap up now???

Still excited by the next Sammy WP, but please, guys, Android gets the Galaxy name which brings the vision of an endless horizon and we get ..... I do not know what!!!
    scottcraft likes this.
    08-28-2012 12:46 AM
    It's like "active", but without CE.

You know, since WP8 is no longer using CE for its kernel.

Okay. I just made that up. But you know a tiny part if you kinda believed it for one second.:D
    08-28-2012 12:55 AM
    That's a good name actually.

Galaxy = Android/ Android tabs
    Ativ = Windows phone/ Windows 8
    08-28-2012 01:05 AM
    That's a good name actually.

Galaxy = Android/ Android tabs
    Ativ = Windows phone/ Windows 8
    Hey, if that is where they go I am sure I would get used to it. No one really questions the "Atrix" names from Motorola on AT&T, so I am sure it will be fine.

But where do they come up with this??
    08-28-2012 01:13 AM
    Honestly. that name doesn't have a good catch to it. here's my names for the samsung Series Windows devices

Samsung Evolution Tab
    Samsung Evolution S
    Samsung Evolution Note
    this has a much better ring to it.

Evolution series meaning. the way technology is moving into new things. meaning Windows 8 and Windows phone
    Last edited by 12Danny123; 08-28-2012 at 04:49 AM.
    snowmutt, scottcraft and soulzero like this.
    08-28-2012 04:44 AM
    Hey, if that is where they go I am sure I would get used to it. No one really questions the "Atrix" names from Motorola on AT&T, so I am sure it will be fine.

I dunno From their Cleaners in their mobile department?
    08-28-2012 05:24 AM
    I dunno From their Cleaners in their mobile department?
    LOL!!

Just crazy enough to be true.

Cleaning lady had Alpha-Bits, and the A,T,I,and V were the last 4 letters floating on the milk.....
    08-28-2012 05:28 AM
    LOL!!

Just crazy enough to be true.

Cleaning lady had Alpha-Bits, and the A,T,I,and V were the last 4 letters floating on the milk.....
    Ha!. I'll crack up laughing if it was true though. I'm it is :)
    08-28-2012 05:36 AM
    Ativ is Vita backwards

Let's hope it does better than the Sony Vita
    Winterfang likes this.
    08-28-2012 08:33 AM
    Also they should keep the name Omnia. Or even Focus. Both are better than Ativ for tablets and phones
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-28-2012 08:37 AM
    Ativ is good, it reflects the Live Tiles, always in motion and stuff.
    08-28-2012 11:12 AM
    Holy trademark lawsuit waiting to happen Batman!

ATIV Software | EventPilot professional native conference app for medical and scientific events and meetings

And it's even a company involved in some respect with smartphones, so it's not like the whole German-grocery-store-"Metro" fiasco. You'd think that Samsung would be tired of the inside of courtrooms by now. As long as they're just making up words, why not make one up that nobody else is using?
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-28-2012 06:04 PM
    I want to go on record as saying Ativ is a horrible name for a phone!
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-28-2012 06:37 PM
    It's not like the Focus name lit the world on fire. I think we have just about exhausted all the aspirational cell phone names out there. It's not like I love Ativ, but I don't think it's the worst thing ever. I'd like to see Samsung build a name brand that carries with the strength of Galaxy. Something that will hold up.
    08-28-2012 08:01 PM
    Holy trademark lawsuit waiting to happen Batman!

ATIV Software | EventPilot professional native conference app for medical and scientific events and meetings

And it's even a company involved in some respect with smartphones, so it's not like the whole German-grocery-store-"Metro" fiasco. You'd think that Samsung would be tired of the inside of courtrooms by now. As long as they're just making up words, why not make one up that nobody else is using?
    That would be kind of funny. Jump to WP yo avoid lawsuits, then pick a product name that gets you sued. :lol:

They should name it Gzusor. Just hit random keys in the keyboard and I made a name that is better for them legally. I now just await my consultation fee of..
    . $1.05 billion.
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-28-2012 08:55 PM
    I want to go on record as saying Ativ is a horrible name for a phone!
    Second that.

Actually, for me, anything Sammy does is meh...

Odyessey was faaaaar better. IMHO.
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-28-2012 11:24 PM
    Second that.

Actually, for me, anything Sammy does is meh...

Odyessey was faaaaar better. IMHO.
    I KNOW, RIGHT???

Who wrote the stupid law in mobile that says the working name of a device has to be changed when it is released?? I commented a couple of times I think Odyssey Series would have been great for WP devices!!

I feel so ripped off......
    08-29-2012 01:04 AM
    I KNOW, RIGHT???

Who wrote the stupid law in mobile that says the working name of a device has to be changed when it is released?? I commented a couple of times I think Odyssey Series would have been great for WP devices!!

I feel so ripped off......

hehe..feel u bro...Odyssey is cool! (Am currently reading 2001: A Space Odyssey) :P
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-29-2012 02:25 AM
    Ativ just doesn't roll off the tongue. I don't care if it's a made up word, just make it smooth to say.
    08-29-2012 02:31 AM
    Whats wrong with calling it Omnia? Ativ is just random.
    08-29-2012 08:24 AM
    They put the name in a cap and draw them that way..

The name Ativ sound like some old person drink to get them active.

Odyssey sounds more like a phone to me..
    snowmutt, AngryNil and X0LARIUM like this.
    08-29-2012 08:33 AM

Actually you make a point inadvertently, the Ativ will probably be mistaken for the Atrix, which is obviously associated with droids. Def not the best name IMO. (But hey, I'm not a fan of Samsung so no surprise there :D )

Edit: this is how you name something, with a word that actually has a meaning and is relevant to the message you want to send about your product:

http://microsoft-news.com/asus-revea...ows-8-devices/
    Last edited by theefman; 08-29-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    08-29-2012 08:53 AM
    The verge is reporting it may be unveiled today...

Exclusive: Samsung to launch 4.8-inch ATIV S Windows Phone 8 device | The Verge
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-29-2012 10:38 AM
    Nice hardware and the design is not a total port of the Galaxy SIII. Seems to be a nice phone. But I hope Nokia can do better. I also like the name of this phone, better than Focus for sure.
    08-29-2012 10:40 AM
    Don't know how to react..

:|

Cause Its Samsung...I think I still like the old Lumia ...

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
    08-29-2012 11:07 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD