Samsung ATIV S Announced

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Nice spec, ok looking phone.

The one bit of information they missed out, is whether it has the 16bit DAC from the S3. If it has, Nokia et al will need to do something pretty special to sway me away from this bad boy.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Fret not, oh hater-of-evil-Samsung!! Nokia will get to announce the actual WP 8 system, and will have the first "hands on" time for a WP 8 device. Microsoft will make sure Nokia gets the free publicity that comes with it!! All Sammy did was announce their own product. Heck, HTC announced their WP 8's right after the WP 8 developer meetings.

No harm to Nokia done. Sammy just wanted a few seconds in the limelight. At least it shows they are taking WP 8 very seriously and hopefully they will get behind the ATIV S (ugh) they way they get behind the GS 3.

LOL!! Got it..BTW, Snowmutt, did u see the new logo I designed to WPC? Its in the meta forum...your comments will be appreciated on it..

Thanx!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Love the screen size, the size of the battery, and the physical home button.

That was something I thought I would hate about the GS3 was the physical home button. I loved it on my iPhone but for android it didnt make sense to me. Until I got the GS3, I loved it! More than willing to try it with WP8!!!

GO SAMSUNG!

(Still not sure if I will get iPhone 5 or WP8.)

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Big Supes, I don't have any superpowers like u, so dont laser-beam my backside, but No.

Supes isn't a fighter. He's a protector. ;)

I disagree with u on 2 points.

Firstly there is a contradiction in what you said.

"Samsung were never going to break the mould" vs "but instead we have a unique design to WP with a cool brushed ally casing."

Er...?? And unique design?? From what angle?? WHen did that happen?

Ok. To clarify, Samsung haven't broken out of their usual design criteria with this device, yet at a glance the "cool brushed ally casing" and physical W8 home button gives it a unique feeling to WP. And, to relate my second point - it's Samsung; what did people expect?

Secondly, Samsung DID break their mould with this:

Click to view quoted image

It just looks like a generic first generation WP. Not too different from the HD7. When I talk about breaking moulds, I'm talking Lumia 800/900.

This is just a few of their devices...but there is really very very little difference in the overall "galaxy" range..

Sure. It's Samsung. :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Supes isn't a fighter. He's a protector. ;)

Ok. To clarify, Samsung haven't broken out of their usual design criteria with this device, yet at a glance the "cool brushed ally casing" and physical W8 home button gives it a unique feeling to WP. And, to relate my second point - it's Samsung; what did people expect?

It just looks like a generic first generation WP. Not too different from the HD7. When I talk about breaking moulds, I'm talking Lumia 800/900.

Sure. It's Samsung. :)

hehe..sure..but na...this was my last try to like sammy...and it failed. For me at least.

Yes, Lumia IS groudn breaking in a lot of ways...in fact, now when I look back, even HTC had almost identical designs...

So yea...thats that...
Now awaiting HTC and Nokia to reveal their goodies.. (wait that doesnt mean what it sounds like :p)

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
hehe..sure..but na...this was my last try to like sammy...and it failed. For me at least.

Yes, Lumia IS groudn breaking in a lot of ways...in fact, now when I look back, even HTC had almost identical designs...

So yea...thats that...
Now awaiting HTC and Nokia to reveal their goodies.. (wait that doesnt mean what it sounds like :p)

I, personally, wouldn't write-off Samsung. It's just the nature of the beast and like any other OEM, they want uniformity/identity across their line of products. I don't see many complaints regarding their tablets, laptops, Blu-ray players, or televisions, which all share their common design familiarities. :) Let's be honest, we all just wanted something to rub in the Android users faces! That time will come. :D

I'm also really looking forward to seeing what Nokia and HTC unveil. Although, being honest, I probably won't get another HTC for a little while.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I like the look overall, nothing super striking but nothing wrong with it either. I like the metal, if it is real metal construction then I'd be taking a good look as I prefer a solid feeling phone.

I'm sitting here with a Titan II and a S3 on my desk as the two devices I carry daily and I really do not see what all the fuss is about on the S3. It's ok, but its not amazing me by any means. Feels cheap to me. In the end as far as design goes its going to be in some type of case anyway so I don't think it matters all that much.

Still, not a bad design and much more than I expected from Samsung so I'm happy there. Great screen size, 4.5 to 4.8 is the sweet spot for me anyway and I can't use anything under 4.3 personally.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! HOLD THE TRAIN!!!

Has anyone confirmed no LTE on this phone? dont see it in the specs.
BUT!!! I did see mini HDMI! That looks promising for the platform!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I love how it looks! I don't care how good looking the next HTC device is, they always disappoint me. Their devices aren't as reliable as Nokia and Samsung, when it comes to durability.

I can't wait to see Nokia's offering. I have 2 upgrades and a 3rd coming, so I might get the both Samsung and Nokia devices as well as the new iPhone.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! HOLD THE TRAIN!!!

Has anyone confirmed no LTE on this phone? dont see it in the specs.
BUT!!! I did see mini HDMI! That looks promising for the platform!

Look at this picture, it will probably answer your question:

bandicam_2012-08-29_14-24-28-979.jpg

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Look at this picture, it will probably answer your question:

Not sure how that helps...it doesn't list all the specs of the phone nor does it have a great picture or 360 view of the phone. the below link seems to point to HDMI...
Samsung Announces ATIV Windows 8, Phone 8 Devices

Samsung ATIV S
4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED
1.5 GHz dual-core SoC
HSPA+ 42Mbps 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
8MP Rear Auto Focus Camera with LED Flash
1.9MP Front VT Camera
A-GPS
Gloness
Bluetooth 4.0
USB 2.0 Host
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz)
Wi-Fi Direct
Wi-Fi Channel Bonding
3.5mm earjack
Micro HDMI
NFC
2 GB of RAM
32 or 64 GB of internal storage
microSD Card SLot Up to 64 GB
Accelerometer, Geomagnetic, Ambient Light, Gyroscope, and Grip Sensors
Standard battery, Li-ion 8,200mAh

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Probably going to T-mobile... no mention of LTE. And T-mobile is the only one in the U.S. doing 42Mbps for HSPA+

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ah Nokia...feeling tad bit nostalgic so please excuse me.

I had the Nokia N Gage not (QD). It blew its modern day counterpart Sammy, out of water with its design and style and class.

In my early days in advertising, I was told that people are so loyal that they leave a brand for anything. So true, I think, there is some sort of emotional connect with even things like these.
Anyways, sorry...I know off topic.
Mods, apologize in advance.

PS: If HTC fails, I plan to go with Nokia. Am pretty happy (mind you, not excited or thrilled) with the Lumia range.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb