Samsung ATIV S Announced

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Shoot me...but I'm not impressed...the HTC One X was breathtaking. Lumia 900 is stunning. This is really just another Samsung device.
I think the Omnia 7 looked much more classier than this. The slightly brushed metal feel really is an old design.

Again, this is my opinion.

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Shoot me...but I'm not impressed...the HTC One X was breathtaking. Lumia 900 is stunning. This is really just another Samsung device.
I think the Omnia 7 looked much more classier than this. The slightly brushed metal feel really is an old design.

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
I overall agree but give them points for finally using real metal instead of brushed aluminum-looking plastic. The overall "rounded rectangle" shape combined with the metal case remind me of my last Windows Mobile phone, the LG Quantum:

LG-GW820-eXpo-4.jpg

But perhaps this'll be like the Galaxy S3; a device which looks better in person than on screen.

ALborntoride

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I like it! :) My pour little Focus has been a great phone but it's time to upgrade. And hopefully Verizon will be getting some WP8 love with some high end phones.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
I agree with your opinion. I think this looks like just another Samsung but then again I am not a Samy person. :)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Nice guts.

Horrible chassis.

Forgive my heresy, but that is not an attractive phone, IMO. And considering Samsung's previous efforts, I wouldn't be surprised if the specs were the bare minimal they could get away with. If Samsung wants to win me back as a customer then they will have to create more unique apps that truly challenges the Nokia ecosystem.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a great looking phone. I expect them to sell a bunch.

Sure, it still has a very standard Samsung look to it, but it's worked for them so far.

It looks like we're going to gave a lot of great products to choose from.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I overall agree but give them points for finally using real metal instead of brushed aluminum-looking plastic. The overall "rounded rectangle" shape combined with the metal case remind me of my last Windows Mobile phone, the LG Quantum:

But perhaps this'll be like the Galaxy S3; a device which looks better in person than on screen.

Exactly. I though the GS3 was disgusting, until I hold one in my hands and felt instantly in love.

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Specs:

4.8? HD Super AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 2
1.5Ghz dual-core processor
1GB of onboard RAM
8MP autofocus rear camera and 1.9MP front-facing camera
16GB or 32GB storage
MicroSD slot for expanded storage
2300mAh battery

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

This is the Samsung ATIV S, the first of many amazing Windows Phone 8 devices coming this year

A very nice start Mr Sammy. :)
I really like this design, Im really happy they didnt go full on Galaxy III clone and made some subtle differences. I like the rounded off edges, very similar to my Focus S in where it still keeps the overall rectangle shape, and much better than the III's uber rounded edges in which it looks oval(imo)....also, I love the brushed alum chassis and Im excited to see what kind of performace we are going to get. With a beefy battery like that, Im sure I would be able to get two full days, and I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the physical windows button, something I really liked on the Flash. Overall, Im impresed and excited and cant wait to see what the competition brings. The best part about this is the family, the Ativ Series. They can sell all of their windows family products together which should mean well get a really good push in the marketing department, something samsung hasnt really done for its WIndows phones...and now, bring on the competition!!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Samsung were never going to break the mould.. even their own mould with a Windows Phone 8 device. If peeps expected this, maybe this is merely a wake-up call.

Personally, I'm impressed, considering all circumstances. Samsung could have easily thrown us a GS2 with a W8 home key on it, but instead we have a unique design to WP with a cool brushed ally casing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm holding out for Nokia, but this is definitely a device I would snap up in a heartbeat should Nokia fail to pull something awesome out of the bag.

justreason

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
i'll pass on a wp8 galaxy s iii.. i know nokia is going to come with the goods.. i think i'm one of the few that doesn't care too much for new hardware.. to me wp8 needs the app support.. going to the web to check my chase account is crazy.. i'll keep my lumia 900 and rock with 7.8

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Samsung were never going to break the mould.. even their own mould with a Windows Phone 8 device. If peeps expected this, maybe this is merely a wake-up call.

Personally, I'm impressed, considering all circumstances. Samsung could have easily thrown us a GS2 with a W8 home key on it, but instead we have a unique design to WP with a cool brushed ally casing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm holding out for Nokia, but this is definitely a device I would snap up in a heartbeat should Nokia fail to pull something awesome out of the bag.

Big Supes, I don't have any superpowers like u, so dont laser-beam my backside, but No. I disagree with u on 2 points.

Firstly there is a contradiction in what you said.

"Samsung were never going to break the mould" vs "but instead we have a unique design to WP with a cool brushed ally casing."

Er...??

Secondly, Samsung DID break their mould with this:

275px-Samsung_Omnia_7.jpg

And unique design?? From what angle?? WHen did that happen?

This is just a few of their devices...but there is really very very little difference in the overall "galaxy" range..
image.jpg

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Nice guts.

Horrible chassis.

Forgive my heresy, but that is not an attractive phone, IMO. And considering Samsung's previous efforts, I wouldn't be surprised if the specs were the bare minimal they could get away with. If Samsung wants to win me back as a customer then they will have to create more unique apps that truly challenges the Nokia ecosystem.

Exactly. Thank you. IMHO, Omnia 7 alone was amazing. But the rest of them are galaxies I don't really care about..

I anyways hate samsung..so to me its of very little importance. But kinda miffed that Sammy overtook Nokia and annoucned the "First WP8" device...:mad:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but I personally think it's a good looking phone. I love the clean lines and the simple design.

I'll see if Nokia comes out with a good Pureview phone, otherwise this is the top contender for my next phone at the moment.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Nice, if it has beefed up audio like the HTCs have then this could be my next phone, its all down to what frequencies they'll support. I'll most likely want something that supports both PCS and AWS.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Alright- trying to give full disclosure, I am a Sammy guy. Not like a fan boy "nothing else is good" Sammy guy, a "my Focus S has been an amazing Phone and an enjoyable experience from minute one on" Sammy guy. So, I will defend them, but understand I will not pass on Nokia if they come out with a better device for me. So, with that out of the way....

HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS FREAKING GORGEOUS!!!! WHAT AN AMAZING LOOKING, SEXY PIECE OF ELECTRONIC GOODNESS!!!!

Ahhh, feel better.

This will do wonders for WP 8 kick off. I will also say that Samsung is slowly building a good set of exclusives for their products. With a little luck the Android exclusives and some of the Tizen exclusives will make their way to the WP 8 devices as well as their tablet offerings they put out and really develop a nice Samsung ecosystem among all their mobile products. Then the Samsung Hub will compete nicely with the goodies from Nokia. (As rightly brought up by Figure 8 Dash above.)

I do like the look and idea of this bad boy. Nokia will get a chance to earn my money, but again my experince with the "S" has earned Sammy the #1 position. Just have to get used to the ATIV word....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Thank you. IMHO, Omnia 7 alone was amazing. But the rest of them are galaxies I don't really care about..

I anyways hate samsung..so to me its of very little importance. But kinda miffed that Sammy overtook Nokia and annoucned the "First WP8" device...:mad:
Fret not, oh hater-of-evil-Samsung!! Nokia will get to announce the actual WP 8 system, and will have the first "hands on" time for a WP 8 device. Microsoft will make sure Nokia gets the free publicity that comes with it!! All Sammy did was announce their own product. Heck, HTC announced their WP 8's right after the WP 8 developer meetings.

No harm to Nokia done. Sammy just wanted a few seconds in the limelight. At least it shows they are taking WP 8 very seriously and hopefully they will get behind the ATIV S (ugh) they way they get behind the GS 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12