Samsung ATIV S Announced

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Ah Nokia...feeling tad bit nostalgic so please excuse me.

I had the Nokia N Gage not (QD). It blew its modern day counterpart Sammy, out of water with its design and style and class.

In my early days in advertising, I was told that people are so loyal that they leave a brand for anything. So true, I think, there is some sort of emotional connect with even things like these.

Anyways, sorry...I know off topic.

Mods, apologize in advance.

PS: If HTC fails, I plan to go with Nokia. Am pretty happy (mind you, not excited or thrilled) with the Lumia range.

^^Its true 'ya know, although for me, I can do a U-turn on a brand if I feel mistreated as a consumer. Microsoft have never really trodden that line with me, however. I like the freedom they allow people in their eco-system, unlike Apple who are hellbent on taking over the planet.

I'd say the only thing that would rock my Microsoft love boat would be moves like intrusive advertising. Although it's nothing too major (at this time) things like having an advert tile on my gold membership Xbox homescreen can be the start of the end. I gave Apple and Google plenty of strikes before divorcing them. As for Sony, well... they just completely forgot how to make a console with the PS3 and I have never really rated their laptops or television sets.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
More piccies (in black) via Windows Phone Facebook:

pmUk2.jpg

AsRPE.jpg

cHz72.jpg

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Looks like an iPhone 2g/3g/3gs. Sure, button is square.

Like the materials, do not like the phone.

Seems like the razor has been the only phone to have really not done a rectangle with just differing radius rounded corners.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how that helps...it doesn't list all the specs of the phone nor does it have a great picture or 360 view of the phone. the below link seems to point to HDMI...
Samsung Announces ATIV Windows 8, Phone 8 Devices

Samsung ATIV S
4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED
1.5 GHz dual-core SoC
HSPA+ 42Mbps 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
8MP Rear Auto Focus Camera with LED Flash
1.9MP Front VT Camera
A-GPS
Gloness
Bluetooth 4.0
USB 2.0 Host
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz)
Wi-Fi Direct
Wi-Fi Channel Bonding
3.5mm earjack
Micro HDMI
NFC
2 GB of RAM
32 or 64 GB of internal storage
microSD Card SLot Up to 64 GB
Accelerometer, Geomagnetic, Ambient Light, Gyroscope, and Grip Sensors
Standard battery, Li-ion 8,200mAh

Look again at the picture I posted. To the phone itself and not to the specs on its left. There is a 4G icon...

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
4g is not LTE. LTE is 4g though. My titan says 4g... all the time unless I am on E. Titan does not have 4g LTE, it only has 4g.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
4g is not LTE. LTE is 4g though. My titan says 4g... all the time unless I am on E. Titan does not have 4g LTE, it only has 4g.

So what's the difference between 4G and 3.5G?

EDIT: Actually I made some research:

2G

Thousands of protocols implemented from 1990 to 2000
Provides mobile technologies GSM, TDMA and CDMA
Generation that gave life to SMS
Enables data encryption

2.5G

Intermediate step between 2G and 3G (obvious means)
Provides data transmission of 56 kbit / sa 115 kbp / s
Allows WAP browsing, MMS sending and IPv4 services (internet)
Data transmission technology: GPRS

2.75G

Name marketer (Almost 3G) and implemented in 2003
Achieves data transfer rates up to 236.8 kbit / s
Data transmission technology: EDGE

3G

In a 3G network is able to talk and transmit data simultaneously
Allows internet, mobile TV and video calls
Achieves data transfer rates up to 2 mb / s
Data transmission technology: W-CDMA

3.5G

3G is basically enhanced
Achieves transmission speeds (theoretical) up to 14 mb / s
Data transmission technology: HSDPA
Almost all 3G networks are 3.5G networks

3.75G

Powered 3.5G (also known as 3.9G)
Data transmission technology: HSUPA

4G

Standard not completely standardized (WTF)
Wi-Max and LTE protocols that will come more
IPv6 Support
Requires speeds of 100 mb / s on the move of 1 GB / s at rest
"Change of hand" (handoff) Soft between different antennas
QoS Support
Designed to transmit HD video and streaming
Low latency, ideal for online gaming

Last edited:

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Looks like an iPhone 2g/3g/3gs. Sure, button is square.

Like the materials, do not like the phone.

Seems like the razor has been the only phone to have really not done a rectangle with just differing radius rounded corners.

Lumia 900 isn't a rounded rectangle from the front; its corners are basically sharp. On the other hand, its' cross-section is much more rounded than the iPhone and pals. A very different shape.

And while the Titan 2 is a rounded rectangle from the front, it's side-view is so remarkable (protruding camera, curved bottom) that no one could ever call it an iPhone-inspired design.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
AT&T refers their 3.5g as 4g optimistically, due to the standards not being clear for 4g. My Lumia is a LTE device and it clearly shows 4G LTE in LTE areas and just 4G in non.

The Ativ S is not LTE, at least not the specs that are out for it now. It could very well be for the non-US market initially with LTE added in later for the US market

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
AT&T refers their 3.5g as 4g optimistically, due to the standards not being clear for 4g. My Lumia is a LTE device and it clearly shows 4G LTE in LTE areas and just 4G in non.

The Ativ S is not LTE, at least not the specs that are out for it now. It could very well be for the non-US market initially with LTE added in later for the US market

Ok, because in Europe when we reffer to 4G we mean LTE. At least many carriers made the move to LTE this year but they advertise it as 4G.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
meh...

on paper I like the specs of this one but... personally it just doesn't sell itself to me so, even if this one does come to t-mo I'll still probably pass on it (will need to see one in person and have it in hand for a bit before I can say for sure on that but, the current inclination is to skip it).

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
meh...

on paper I like the specs of this one but... personally it just doesn't sell itself to me so, even if this one does come to t-mo I'll still probably pass on it (will need to see one in person and have it in hand for a bit before I can say for sure on that but, the current inclination is to skip it).

But I do think's gonna sell a lot for comsumers. Especially t-mobile users

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 900 isn't a rounded rectangle from the front; its corners are basically sharp. On the other hand, its' cross-section is much more rounded than the iPhone and pals. A very different shape.

And while the Titan 2 is a rounded rectangle from the front, it's side-view is so remarkable (protruding camera, curved bottom) that no one could ever call it an iPhone-inspired design.

True, there are a few others. Didn't mean to exclude those. Almost all are rectangles from the front except the Razr though, and that was what I meant most. But I guess you could consider the Razr to have asymmetrically chamfered corners.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The design is alright im glad it's not plastic but im loving the overall specs! Now it's time for HTC and Nokia.

Even tho im stuck on sprint and we most likely won't get these devices until later but im very excited for all this news more w8p pleaseee :)

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The phone looks orgasmic. I love it. Im not gonna get it becuase it has no keyboard. But is this considered a high end phone? I love Samsung and Nokia, they are my favs. This makes me happy to see a windows 8 phone, shows that we are doing good. Just gets me mad they couldent just add a keyobard to it.

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
if the speeds are over 40 mbps then it is classified as 4G. It's not any pariticular technology.
Wimax and LTE fall in 4g. Dual-Cell_HSDPA is also 4G because it is capable of speeds upto 42mbps.

HSPA(21 mbps and 28.8 mbps) is 3.5g

I hope this clears it for all

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
if the speeds are over 40 mbps then it is classified as 4G. It's not any pariticular technology.
Wimax and LTE fall in 4g. Dual-Cell_HSDPA is also 4G because it is capable of speeds upto 42mbps.

HSPA(21 mbps and 28.8 mbps) is 3.5g

I hope this clears it for all

Why is my phone called a 4g then? I have never ever seen speeds anywhere near 28.8. I think my fastest ever cell data bandwidth test was around 5Mbps and that was in a top end "4g" ATT area. Actually, I guess the phone can maybe receive that speed, but its ATT who is outright lying when they say they have 4G areas? In the same area, my brother's 4s could still only get 7Mbps. That is 1/3 the speed of 3.5g and its supposed to be 4g.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Having used LTE Android phones for VZW, I'm looking forward to a LTE phone on their network for WP8. I do know that that is part of the requirement for any new Windows Phone to be on their network.

So if a version of this Samsung is slated for VZW (and they do have a Samsung phone coming) then it will be LTE on their network for data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte